How are tuners allocated?
You guys have done a beautiful thing here! But while I wasn't able to using xbmc for my live TV needs on my main TV, I would like to try it on a bedroom TV. My question stems from my confusion on how the backend allocates tuners for the client. Will I need to run wmc live TV setup again and only assign 3 of my 4 tuners so that one will be free for my bedroom HTPC client? Or does the server dynamically pull tuners as the clients request them?
If this is the case is there any chance for tuner conflicts on my main HTPC that has the infinitiTV installed? What would happen if 3 shows were recording and the 4th tuner was on a different stream, then in the bedroom someone tried to watch a show with the xbmc frontend?

Sorry if this has been covered. I didn't see anything in the wiki. I haven't yet hooked up the other TV, waiting for my 50ft hdmi. It would be nice if the client was unobtrusive to my main HTPC 's setup and if I didn't have to re run live TV setup because I've done a lot of editing to the epg.
Thanks!
You don't need to run live-tv setup again. The wmc recording service handles allocating tuners for recordings, just like it does when running wmc. Serverwmc grabs tuners and hands them to clients when they request them ONLY for live-tv streams and ONLY if there is a free tuner.

The recording service is the highest priority, so if no tuners are available for a recording, it will stop a live stream to xbmc and take the tuner. Xbmc will post a message saying the live-tv stream was stopped because the tuner was needed for a recording.

In the situation you posed, when you try to start the live-tv stream in your bedroom client, xbmc will post a message saying all tuners are busy.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-12-27, 07:07)krustyreturns Wrote: You don't need to run live-tv setup again. The wmc recording service handles allocating tuners for recordings, just like it does when running wmc. Serverwmc grabs tuners and hands them to clients when they request them ONLY for live-tv streams and ONLY if there is a free tuner.

The recording service is the highest priority, so if no tuners are available for a recording, it will stop a live stream to xbmc and take the tuner. Xbmc will post a message saying the live-tv stream was stopped because the tuner was needed for a recording.

In the situation you posed, when you try to start the live-tv stream in your bedroom client, xbmc will post a message saying all tuners are busy.

Well that's just freakin brilliant! Looks like this is going to be the perfect extender for me. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How are tuners allocated?0