Choppy audio with Dolby TrueHD
I've been having issues with choppy audio playback on bluray movies with Dolby TrueHD 7.1. I have a Pioneer VSX-91THX receiver that does support Dolby TrueHD but I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. I don't have issues with any other audio formats including DTS Master HD, only TrueHD is choppy. When I play a movie with truehd 7.1 the receiver says truehd so I know it is receiving the audio stream. If I play a movie with truehd but only encoded with 5.1 it plays just fine. I am running windows 8 and if I go to playback devices→hdmi→supported formats I can see dolby true hd in there. Within xbmc System→audio output is set like this:
audio output:HDMI
speaker config: 5.1
boost volume: off
output stereo to all speakers: off
dolby digital ac3: on
dts: on
aac: on
multichannel lpcm: on
truehd: on
dts-hd: on
audio output device wasapi: hdmi
passthrough output device wasapi: hdmi

I've tried changing the passthrough to both wasapi and directsound (direct sound gets choppy video and really choppy audio). At this point I'm not sure if this is an issue with the PC or the receiver. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Windows 8 64bit
xbmc 12.3
Intel i5 3570s
Intel HD Graphics 2500 latest drivers installed
Just a couple of shots in the dark.

Have you tried setting your speaker config in XBMC to 7.1? Basically telling XBMC to totally ignore the audio and let the AVR handle the downmixing, etc?

Second, and this is a little pedantic, it doesn't appear that your AVR supports AAC decoding. Hopefully I didn't misread the manual. You may want to turn that off.

This is what I understand from the audio settings guide and the how to config audio guide in the wiki.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Thanks for the reply. I did try setting xbmc to 7.1 and I still get the same issue. Regardless of whether xbmc is set to 5.1 or 7.1 I can see on my receiver that it lights up all 7.1 channels so it seems to be getting the same audio stream no matter what. It shows that for DTS 7.1 as well but as i mentioned dts playback is fine.

I also just disabled aac.
Sorry. I thought it was worth a try.

Maybe if you can post a debug log, someone else can provide assistance.
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Just wanted to post that I have confirmed this is an issue with my receiver. I took my pc to a friends house and tried playing through their receiver. Everything was fine there. Since it is an issue with the receiver and not xbmc or the pc it is likely beyond the scope of this forum. If someone has a suggestion for fixing please let me know. Otherwise I just wanted to post in case it can be of help to someone else in the future.

Thanks.
* un1versal says, nothing to see, move along, move along...
I remember helping a member resolve this issue a while ago, but I cannot remember exactly what I suggested to him. It involved Pioneer AVR too.

Try this-
Disable "Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2)" and select "Software" as Render method in XBMC system/settings/video/playback. It seems to be the most stable on my latest Intel i7-3770s and Intel Core i5-3317U (HD4000 iGPU) with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I tried to enable DXVA2, and it seems to work fine too. In your case, try it with DXVA2 disable first....

If you have LEDTV and AVR HDMI CEC turned on, you might want to turn it off for now. Some LEDTV and AVR CEC don't coexist very well....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Edid issue maybe?
try a gotham build and play with the outup mode settings.
What does the "Max Number of Channels" show

I thought of a couple of things that tiggered in my brain after re-reading the thread. I promise Mr. Moderator that it will be quick and I wont drag the thread out further.

Have you checked with an actual Bluray player on that same port of the receiver? I know you said it was the receiver being the issue, but just to be thorough and to totally eliminate XBMC as being the cause.

If this does cause the same problem, you may want to consider getting the firmware updated. Unfortunately, it seems Pioneer only started offering customer updatable firmware from 2011 onward. Your would have to be done by a servicer, which they may not even charge for. See post #1809 at http://www.avsforum.com/t/909450/officia...t_20893772 for where I got this info.

Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy audio with Dolby TrueHD0