Could you go to jail or prison if....
If you watch movies or tv shows on XBMC and if you accidentally made a post on Facebook about it and the law enforcers found out that you're doing it. I'm curious.
Watching movies or TV shows aren't automatically legal or illegal just because you are using XBMC. XBMC is just a player/showcase, and the user is the one who adds content.

If you add content that breaks copyright law, then sure, you are breaking the law, and it is possible that you could get in trouble for telling the world that you copied movies you don't own.

If you just say "I watched Back to the Future on my XBMC media center", then you won't get in trouble because you are just saying that you watched something. Maybe you pirated it, or maybe you own it and made a digital copy (for example, I own that movie and have made a digital copy, and I have watched it using XBMC). There's no way to know from a basic statement like that.

If you are doing something illegal, no matter how major or minor it is, it's typically not a good idea to tell everyone publicly. Involving XBMC into the mix doesn't really change anything one way or another.
What a random question. Your obviously playing illegal content and have little understanding what XBMC does, but in answer to your question, if you post it on Facebook I'm almost certain it's a instant life sentence and in some cases the death sentence has been passed down. In all seriousness, what has led to this question?
If you own a movie you can have a digital and is legal, you don't want scratches in your movies don't you
Even if you were watching pirated material, it would not be a criminal matter. Individual acts of copyright violation is a matter of civil law rather than criminal law. So no, you can't go to jail for watching pirated stuff, as you can only to jail for crimes. ...Though the copyright holder could try to sue you in civil court. Smile
sorta like dtv did years ago
Actually breach of copyright can be a criminal offence, but in most jurisdictions there must be a commercial or reward element. However just watching something generally isn't a criminal offence. Nor is downloading, but be aware that getting a reward for uploading could bring you into the "for reward" area. Eg if a bittorrent site gives you download privileges dependent on upload quantity, that could be seen as a "reward" and lead you to the criminal courts.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Pretty much what everyone else said; but also unless your watching something really obvious like an unreleased movie do you think people will instantly jump on the piracy idea?

I don't mean this in a harsh way, but do you honestly think that you matter that much :p? Like I know privacy is in the spotlight at the moment but do you think one little post about watching something on xbmc on Facebook is going to land you in jail? Do you think 'they' have the time to investigate every single post made on Facebook, and that's if they even found it (again, unless you have given them a reason too are they likely to be watching your Facebook lol?). Just a tad bit of waste of time if 'we' started throwing people in jail for a Facebook post about watching digital content.

Anyway, none of this matters since if they hadn't found your Facebook post they will now and will link this xbmc account to your Facebook page and will come around shortly to arrest you.....sounds realistic yeah?
Is this a serious question?

If so then it really depends. In the UK it's not technically legal to create a digital copy of your bought music, TV shows and films. However it's a very grey area. In the US it is legal, as far as I'm aware, under Fair Use. Either way just saying you watched a video file using XBMC tells people absolutely nothing. XBMC is one of the most, if not the most, popular pieces of open source media centre software used around the world.

If you're not a troll then I wouldn't worry, if you are then kindly return to your bridge.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could you go to jail or prison if....0