advice for first htpc build
hi guys, if anyone has got some free time I am after some help on choosing some components for a HTPC build.
im currently using a Lenovo ideacenter q180 which has been good but has started to slow down and I have never been able to get surround sound via hdmi.

the main factors im looking for are:

speed, want superfast navigation/loading in xbmc
play 3d bluray files without struggling
play games (not after playing the latest such as battlefield 4 but want to be able to use the dolphin emulator for wii games)
a small/attractive case
I currently have most of my media on a 4tb external drive which I would like to take the drive out and put into the htpc
I also use plex to stream media to iPhone/ipad, id like to be able to do this whilst using xbmc if possible
output surround (5.1ch) via hdmi
id like to keep the cost as low as possible

ive found a ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard and AMD A4 5300 processor if anyone has these and thinks they would be up to the task?

thanks!
How much you planning to spend?
Less that £200 if possible or as close as

Thanks!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166791

This is one

Also check the zotac nano ad12 or ad13 arrows you price range
Ive had a look at the zotac box's and I'm not sure that they would be powerful enough to run the dolphin emulator.
Im hoping to clean up my setup up a bit by getting rid off the wii (reason for the dolphin emulator) and taking the hard drives from their external covers and integrating them in the new htpc.
I suppose if its possible i could use my existing htpc and turn it into a nas and place it elsewer in the house, but i would still need to be able to run the dolphin emulator.

Do you think one of intels NUS box's would be a good idea?
Ive read up a bit more and decided not to go down the build your own route, im not experienced enough to problem solve and want a system which once is set up i can leave it alone, no tinkering etc.
Ive also read more into the dolphin emulator and it appears none of the i3/i5 processors will run it without a graphics card so scraping that idea!

Im stuck between the intel nuc (celeron or i3), the lenovo q190 (i3) or them brix box's

I still need it to play full 3d files and have 5.1 surround (dts hd?)
Also super smooth navigation on aeon nox skin.

Needs also to have a ethernet connection, dont want to mess around with a thunderbolt adapter/drivers etc

Ive upped my budget to £300 but would want that to include the hdd and ram, im fine with using openelec as long as i can play n64 - nes games with it

Thanks for your advice guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advice for first htpc build0