Haswell i3 Mini-ITX build
Hi guys
I wanted to check in with you before I pulled the trigger on this baby. Usage is primarily 1080p video and light gaming. All the content is sourced from my Win 7 NAS box. I plan to install XBMC on Windows 7 as I have a spare copy already. For some reason OpenElec doesn't play nice with my NAS so Windows XBMC is probably the way to go.

CASE: Antec 310-150 = $90
CPU: Haswell i3-4130T 35W = $140
CPU COOLER: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 = $45
MOBO: ASUS H81I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 = $80
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1600 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL) = $50
PSU: picoPSU-120 120W PSU with Power brick 12V 6.6A 80W = $55
SSD: SanDisk 64 GB SSD = $65

TOTAL = $525

I wanted a case with a reset button on the front which boosts the WAF in the event of a crash. The other option I considered is the new Silverstone ML06 but it's not out yet.
I'll replace the stock PSU with the Antec with the picoPSU. Silence is a huge factor for me - hence the picoPSU and Shuriken. I know I'll have to do some basic modding to get the shuriken to fit but I've seen it done.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that the "T" will run cooler than the non-T and keep the temps down. I don't care much about saving money on electricity.
2. Is 4GB RAM enough? I would have normally gone for 8GB but with RAM prices up these days it's a tougher decision.
3. Is 80W enough for this setup? They offer a 104W power brick but that one has a fan in it which put me off.

Thanks!
For HTPC usage, T vs. non-T won't make much difference in heat/power usage. The 'T' version limits what happens at the high end of usage. So, if you were using this setup for transcoding or Folding@Home, etc. (which I doubt you are). What you do get with the T though is the low profile cooler so I always compare that pricewise vs the non-T with an aftermarket cooler. That's not applicable in your case though since you're getting the Big Shuriken.

With the picoPSU-120 you'll also need a molex-to-P4 adapter for the CPU power. The picoPSU 90 with 90W AC adapter should run the i3-4130T no problem. If you're going to be running a full load a lot then consider the 120/120 combination.

You can also reduce the multiplier on the non-T version to bring the power usage down and make your own 'T' CPU. You don't need a 'K' CPU or Zxx motherboard to reduce the multiplier. Honestly, that's the route I'd go if needed -- get the non-T and reduce the multiplier if/as needed.
Thanks Dougie.

OK so I may go for the regular i3-4130 instead of the T version and save $10.
I didn't realize the picoPSU 120 didn't come with the 4-pin power connector (weird) so I may just get the 90 instead (which does). I didn't see a 90W AC adapter (the next one up from 80W is the 102W which includes the fan) so I'll stick to the 80W.
(2014-01-04, 21:15)mattchapman Wrote: Silence is a huge factor for me - hence the picoPSU and Shuriken.

If those are all the components you are going to fit in the case you could go completely silent with the HDPLEX H1.S case. H1 with the internal 120W internal AC-DC adapter costs $210 compared to your $190 for case/cooler/psu. But you would also need to switch to a thin mini-ITX motherboard. The power switch is on the side though Huh.
Thanks for the HDPLEX suggestion.

On a separate note, can anyone tell me how my spec compares to, say, an Intel NUC Haswell i5 (D54250WYK1) which retails for $375, in terms of performance. Thus far I've been a little concerned about heat and noise with the NUC's.
I think for transcoding and light gaming an i5 Haswell is worth the extra money over the i3. I built a similar htpc 6 months ago and don't regret spending a little more for the performance
(2014-01-06, 19:50)wpbpete Wrote: I think for transcoding and light gaming an i5 Haswell is worth the extra money over the i3. I built a similar htpc 6 months ago and don't regret spending a little more for the performance

But I was wanting to compare my proposed Haswell i3 build to the NUC i5.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Haswell i3 Mini-ITX build0