Video of my ambient lighting setup
(2014-04-24, 03:46)BtripN Wrote: This is soo cool, I have to do this! Great job with all your work, the XBMC community is the best. I just finished my basement project which includes a 100" projection screen, Win8 64bit, XBMC 13 beta4. A 5M strand of LEDs would not work. Would the same concept work by adding another strand taking in consideration the power supply? Haven't looked enough into this, but would a 10amp power supply be sufficient for just over 7M of LEDs?

Another concern of mine is the distance from my HTPC to the screen (about 25ft). I roughed in a conduit to allow for things like this but would there be any timing issues running the USB from HTPC to Leonardo at that distance?

In terms of power supply, you first have to decide which type of LED you'll use and how many LED's per meter. For example a 30 led/meter ws2801 uses about 9W per meter. At 7 meters that's 63W. Divide that by the 5VDC and you get 12.6 amps. That is maximum current though, meaning full white on all. Some might say a 10 amp would be fine, but me personally I like a little head room. If you were looking at 60 led/meter you'll be in the territory of a hardwired industrial power supply.

If you are not ready to pull the trigger, I'm working with the ws2812b led which is about half the price of the ws2801 and have it working well on the benchtop. The livingroom is being remodeled right now so it will be about 3 weeks before I have them mounted and tested on the tv. If I'm successful i will make a how to and post my modified code.

I am also running my tv setup through about 25ft of conduit and don't notice any issues on my usb. I am using a power hub though at the tv end.

Messages In This Thread
Re: RE: Video of my ambient lighting setup - by LazerBlue - 2014-04-24, 05:26
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0