Linux Erratic playback on some films
I've got problems concerning the playback of some(!) movies. It doesn't matter if they are 720p or 1080p. To make things more weird, other films in 1080p with Dolby Digital are being shown smooth, even 3D mkv. I thought it might be because of watchdog/ xbmc archive updater, so I uninstalled them both, but that didn't change anything. Right now I'm using XBMC13 alpha12
(Git: 20140101-2297909), but the problem existed already in 12.2 and 12.3.
I can differentiate between movies that start and are shown with a frame every few seconds and movies that start normally and just crash after 3-4 seconds. During the first kind of movies the AVR only shows stereo though the movie's got 5.1. During the second kind it shows 5.1.

I checked with the contents of the mkv files (mostly mkv, some are mp4):
h.264, AVC1 working.
dts, dolby digital working.
AAC 5.1 only stereo (mostly on mp4)

The HTPC is running arch linux with open source ATI drivers.

Anyone got an idea? Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Merauder

So far the following this "With alpha 12 match refresh rate to video and down-mixing to 2 channel gives no-sound and slow (< 10fps) playback randomly. Resolved by disabling match refresh rate to video" made the video start fluently, but crash after a few seconds.
Have you used this guide (adapted for Arch of course): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854?
The problem isnt really XBMC so, Im with negge on this, Either adapt that to Arch or Dump Arch for this machine otherwise your really out of luck.
I'll give that a try, but I might have been inaccurate before: The movies run for a couple of seconds and thereafter I'm being thrown back to the main menu (it doesn't start to stutter or something alike).
(And: About a month ago everything was working fine...)
Enable debug and do it again and pastebin either log or resulting crashlog

Debug log (wiki)
(2014-01-08, 16:51)Merauder Wrote: About a month ago everything was working fine

What do you expect from Arch Linux? Smile
http://pastebin.com/0769caKw

This one. For some reason there were logs from things I did before i started the logging, so i removed them. Started with the buttonpress to start the movie, the first action after i activated logging in the system-setup.

if there is more needed please tell (the entire log is 600 pages in word. o.O).
(2014-01-08, 17:14)negge Wrote:
(2014-01-08, 16:51)Merauder Wrote: About a month ago everything was working fine

What do you expect from Arch Linux? Smile

Don't know. I'm just using the HTPC. Wink
A friend of mine programmed and installed everything, and we tried both windows and some debian derivates and they were much(!) worse.
Arch is not very noob-friendly, and if your friend couldn't get Debian working I wouldn't have much hope. I'm not really sure how to help you though since I don't have any AMD GPUs.
Why are you using VDPAU with an AMD GPU ??
Because of aforementioned HowTo; and I just checked: Turning it off makes no difference.
Debug log (wiki) please, wont ask again.
(2014-01-08, 17:17)Merauder Wrote: http://pastebin.com/0769caKw

This one. For some reason there were logs from things I did before i started the logging, so i removed them. Started with the buttonpress to start the movie, the first action after i activated logging in the system-setup.

if there is more needed please tell (the entire log is 600 pages in word. o.O).

What's wrong with this one?
Eh, rename or remove any asound.conf or asoundrc and try again.
Will do. Thanks!
I'm away for a couple of hours, will report if it worked or not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Erratic playback on some films0