• 14(current)
LanDrive/LanDrive (3.5" HDD NAS enclosure) SMB/SAMBA problems
Hello elupus,

I can make all ethereal capture like you want. I can update my LANDISK with the last firmware version or other. It could be well that you indicate me, what kind of test conditions i must realize. I would like very much that problem be resolved Nod

Many thanks for your support
Sorry I am not able to help more. I did do a further 'black box' analysis of the problem. I had a directory with 15 files which xbmc was not able to read due to the known access error. When I reduced the number of files, all of a sudden xbmc could access the directory and display the remaining files. After some more attempts I figured out it was one file in particular that was causing the trouble, not the total number of files. The other very strange thing here is that the files in question were plane rar file segments i.e. a rar file with a sequence number, thus they all had the same size, more or less the same timestamp and the same permissions (checked through windows and ftp). The only thing that I can see that would be unique for that file is the timestamp (creation). It is set at 23.33. This NAS BASIC 45 contains a bug fix for NTP, so I am wondering if there is any way at all that this could impact the access rights? I changed timezone again on my NAS disk and then I was not able to access the main share even. Change it back, and the main share is back again through xmbc.

Maybe this helps, maybe not, but this is as far as I am able to analyse with my hardware.

elupus Wrote:that much was already known. there is an access violation generated when we try to list the share in xbmc with those firmware. apperently this does not happen on the same version samba client on linux (thou, we've not yet tried the exact lib that we use). so i'm abit stumped at the moment.

it'd probably be an easy thing to solve for somebody with that type of lan drive , a debug setup xbox and some programming experience.
I've had some similar reports before about keeping the number of files in a directory down to get it to work.

fabulon:
In general any firmware that exhibits the directory listing exception. It would be interesting to get both a debug log (samba Debug Log not needed) and a ethereal capture. please make it from the start of starting xbmc, so I get the smb connection steps too.

If you feel like it, and you manage to get it to work with less files in the folder (or if a specific file causes it like for last poster), a capture of that may also help.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Well, after some more black box testing, I found that the file that stopped xbmc from reading the directory through samba had the read-only flag set. Changing this flag however seemed to be troublesome. I was unable to do this, through the dos prompt with ATTRIB and had trouble doing it with Total Commander.
However, if I first changed the creation timestamp, then I could remove the read only flag. Later I found though, that if I just changed the timestamp, then that was sufficient for xbmc to read the directory with the files with the changed timestamp. The read only flag no longer had an influence. So whether the problem is ownership or a creation time stamp problem is still unclear. Maybe the changing of the creation time stamp, fixes the ownership at the same time, resulting in me being allowed the read only access.
Changing all timestamps to a current timestamp and setting all attributes to archive, seems to make xbmc work again with NAS BASIC 45 for most directories. Still fighting my music folder though...

Will keep you informed about this not so scientific approach.
keep it going. it really helps me in pin-pointing where in the code the error occurs. you just got me one step closer (function call deeper).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Star 
elupus Wrote:keep it going. it really helps me in pin-pointing where in the code the error occurs. you just got me one step closer (function call deeper).

Right. I've set up a testbed where I'm able to capture all network traffic, and I've run a full set of tests under Ver 41 of the firmware and Ver 45, with associated XBMC Ver 2 debug logs and Wireshark (the new Ethereal) captures.

The bad (good?) news is it works perfectly under both firmwares for all content that's not in the default "PUBLIC" share. This may provide a work around for other users; I'd be keen to hear what results they get. The only changes I've made since it not working last night are rolling back to v41, turning off FTP & setting a static IP, then rolling forward to v45.

Elupus, I'm going to smoke test it for a couple of hours, and then I'll grab some caps & logs of trying to access the "PUBLIC" share. If you can suggest anywhere that can host a 5-meg zip file, I'm happy to post all of it up.

Finally, you guys know that LibSMB isn't anything to do with the SAMBA project, right? It's a separate project that provides similar functionality, but it's now defunct, as SAMBA now produce a separate standalone library like LibSMB.
Link to LibSMB site discussing this.
scales82 Wrote:oh i also discovered that for some reason my landrive does not come up in the workgroup when my computer is off and gives a "workgroup unavailable" message. But that may be my configs problem.

That workgroup (NetBIOS) stuff needs a computer to keep track of which name corresponds to which IP. The Landrive can nearly be that computer - it announces itself to the network - but I don't think it can do the full name->IP resolution.
Hi all,

I've been following these topics with great interest as I also have a Landisk which hasn't been working properly with XBMC. It's a V-Gear Landisk with firmware 024, and I have XBMC 2.0.0.

I have a shared folder on the Landisk (eg "Episodes") which has several sub-folders, organised by TV show. About half of the folders open OK in XBMC and list the files, but with others nothing happens. The XBMC log contains lines like this for the broken folders:

Code:
21:28:32 M: 38383616   ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory : Access violation at 0x002c5033: Reading location 0x00a67000
21:28:32 M: 38383616   ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting smb://192.168.1.12/Media/Episodes/Aqua Teen Hunger Force/
21:28:32 M: 38383616   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(smb://192.168.1.12/Media/Episodes/Aqua Teen Hunger Force/) failed

Anyway after a lot of trial and error (eg. moving files out of the folder and re-opening), it seems it is caused by certain files inside these folders, as others have also discovered. These problem files have nothing apparently wrong with them: the file attributes are normal, the filenames contain no "odd" characters... they look exactly like all the other files in that folder.

Someone mentioned that copying these broken files off the Landisk and back on again via FTP fixed them, and this worked for me.

However, an even easier fix I discovered is to simply change the modified date on the broken files. Just use "touch" or some Windows equivalent to set the date to anything, and they will stop causing problems. I don't know why it works, but it's a lot quicker than copying everything off the disk and back on. Plus you don't have to figure out which ones are broken, just set the date on all files.

Hope this helps people for now, but it would be nice to get the incompatibility problems fixed!

Cheers,
Nick
Nicked: I came to the same conclusion you came to. I however could not change the timestamp on the folders themselves, and I think they are part of the problem too, seeing as I have already changed all files, and removed the "r" permission from them (don't think I have to, but I am getting fed up with this, and am a little paranoia).
Not being able to change the timestamp on the folder is probably specific to my LANDISK. Do you have any tips on other programs that may succeed, or tricks on how to change to timestamp on folders? Currently I am copying over all my music again, and am hoping that will help.

Bottom line: for me the change timestamp method worked on 2 of the root folders, but not on my music root folder. Think the latter did not work, because I did not succeed in changing the timestamp on all folders below music. Copying all music files over again (another hour to go Confused )
timestamps could very well be the issue here. the directory parsing code could go belly up if the dates of one file or directory in the listed dir are very much wrong, thou without seeing an actuall example I can't exactly tell what to fix. the ethereal log would help tremendously thou.

Right. This is a link to an archive containing all the tests I've done; there are packet captures and debugs of it both working and not working. Obviously, the ones involving the "Public" share where it fails will be most useful:
Ritmo_LanServer_Packet_Captures.zip
It's on "YourFileHost.com"; I didn't see any ads on there, but apologies if it's covered in H0t Pr0n.

elupus Wrote:timestamps could very well be the issue here.
I don't think it's a timestamps issue; I've done a dir listing of the disk via USB (included in archive) and they seem fine to me, at least under the latest v45 firmware.

Let me know if you'd like anything else. Oh, and thanks for the fine work of yourself and the other XBMC developers; because of you guys the XBox is one of the very best value-for-money purchases I've made.
I've found out how to turn full SMB logging on via AdvancedSettings.xml, so I've re-done the test with the non-working PUBLIC share. The zip is on YourFileHost here:
Ritmo_LanServer_Packet_Capturesv2.zip

Also, I created a share and filled it with 100 mp3s, labelled 1-100.mp3. As far as can tell they all work, so if too many files in a directory was a problem, it's not under the v45 firmware, available here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/landisk.htm
or here:
http://www.lanserver.co.uk.tt/

Also, there's a guy who'll produce custom (skinned) firmwares for you here:
http://www.aroundmyroom.com/landisk/
You give him the HTML, and he wraps it up into a binary for you. Anyone feel like doing a cut-down "Project Mayhem" skin?
More: I created a new share, and then created 100 folders called Dir[1-100] within it. I can play MP3s from the six or so I tested. I then filled one of those folders with 50 copies of a 22 meg MPEG file, called File[1-50].mpg, I can view the 10 or so of those I've tested. All of this is under firmware 45.

As far as I can see, the only problem between XBMC 2.0 and the LANServer is the "Public" share, which was created under the old firmware.

Finally, I'm sorry I'm filling up the thread by myself - I'm at GMT+10, so I'm trying to think of all the things you guys might want me to test before I go to sleep and you wake up.
Utah,
so are you saying that folders created with firmware 45 seem to work fine?
utah, do you happen to be compiling yourself? I have a thought on what it could be that is failing, so I could provide you with an updated samba lib wich works around that, and see if that helps.

(btw the etheral logs helped, thou they didn't show anything explicitly buggy in the way the landrive provided the data, but they helped pinpointing what code was used.)

• 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LanDrive/LanDrive (3.5" HDD NAS enclosure) SMB/SAMBA problems0