SSD vs 7200 rpm HDD for PVR Backend.
This has been bugging me for a while. I am using NPVR as back end for LIVE TV and Recordings on XBMC. The channel switching and buffering of course does not make the experience as pleasant and seamless as a true DVR. I understand SSDs are a lot faster. I am currently using one in my HTPC but the backend (which is a Windows 7 machine running NPVR) has the OS and the program installed on a 7200 rpm HDD. Both machines are on a wired network.

So the question: If I installed an SSD on the PVR machine, will it improve the situation and make a visible difference?

Thanks for your help and advice.
An SSD won't help with this, it's due to the way that NPVR works - it doesn't have an internal demuxer, which is why the channel changes etc are slow. It's explained by margro in this thread

If you download and install Margro's XBMC pre-build versions, available from here, onto your front-end system (assuming you're also running Windows on it), then you should see channel changes become much quicker.

I use Argus-TV as my back-end, and with Margro's XBMC build, initial tuning is still a few seconds, but subsequent channel changes are almost instantaneous.

My server is using a 500gb 7200rpm HDD for the LiveTV buffer.
Got it. I will test it out.

So if I understand correctly putting an SSD in the server machine will not make any different at all? Because if it does, I am considering putting an SSD in it.

Thanks
No, it won't help, and putting Live TV stuff onto an SSD will just kill it Smile
No. Won't make any difference to the speed XBMC switches channels.
Thank you guys. I appreciate all your input.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD vs 7200 rpm HDD for PVR Backend.0