• 17(current)
Release [service.subtitles.opensubtitles]
this change actually screwed up many add-ons that use opensubtitles in their code
> The big question is why this change?

+1
this change is caused because KODI owners doesn't allow to have any ads in KODI (even in subtitles). So we force users either to login or see ads in subtitles (one in start, one in end). Now is transition period.
You should really work on your communiction skills. If you would have stated that in the first post, the post on your forum and the blog pos, you have avoided lot of confusion among users.

Now the change seemed really shady... I don't mind the ads on subtitles and if you'd communicate the reasoning better, I think lot of users would understand.
There is a nice addon that filters out all the ads in Opensubtitles Wink Clean Subs
well, users in general doesn't care about ads in subtitles. they just want subtitles. Who care is KODI developers. If everything was working, there will be no confusion, but as we can see it is not easy to upgrade addons in not official KODI branches...
(2016-11-26, 11:10)opensubtitles Wrote: well, users in general doesn't care about ads in subtitles. they just want subtitles. Who care is KODI developers. If everything was working, there will be no confusion, but as we can see it is not easy to upgrade addons in not official KODI branches...
As a user and a non kodi dev, I disagree. I absolutely hate the idea of ads in subtitles. Why don't you ask for donations instead like fanart.tv, tvdb and such?

Ads in subtitles make opensubtitles seem super shady.
we released updated version to official repo, https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/320 - waiting for pull approval, taking over of developing of this addon from Amet (original developer of this plugin - big thanks to him).
(2016-11-26, 05:42)opensubtitles Wrote: this change is caused because KODI owners doesn't allow to have any ads in KODI (even in subtitles). So we force users either to login or see ads in subtitles (one in start, one in end). Now is transition period.

Cool. Thanks for the note.

By the way, often I flip through 5 or more subtitle files before I land on one that is synced up pretty good. Then I come back to watch that particular movie again, and I have to go look up the subtitles again.

Is there a way that the subtitles file can save to the folder for use in Kodi the next time I play the movie? Best I can tell, the subtitles file seems to go to a temp folder currently.

There could already be a setting for that. If so, it isn't in the Kodi settings for opensubtitles.org plug-in or in the online options.
I care for the ads, they're very annoying but as always, if the choice is between ads+sub or no subs at all I choose the ads. My main subs site is subscene (the HI/non-HI label is applied more consistently there) but opensubtitles is my go to when subscene doesn't carry the sub. I certainly hope they don't increase the number of ads already in the sub since it would be even more unbearable. Isn't there a version of the addon that takes the user credentials in order to login? Never mind, the option is available in the current addon. Between login, ads+sub and no sub I definitely choose login.
I don't think they want you just to login, they want you to convert your account into vip in the long term Wink
soon in official OpenSubtitles addon in kodi (when it will be updated to 5.0.16) one must log in. And yes, there is a plan to convert free users to VIP users (if they want to support our service)
I use the subtitles often enough that I would not mind donating a small annual amount to be ad-free.
(2016-12-02, 04:54)opensubtitles Wrote: soon in official OpenSubtitles addon in kodi (when it will be updated to 5.0.16) one must log in.
I was able to login with my current addon install.

(2016-12-02, 04:54)opensubtitles Wrote: And yes, there is a plan to convert free users to VIP users (if they want to support our service)
Does that mean that you will do away with free addon usage altogether?
Very frustrating this, even after login still the popup you have to login
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[service.subtitles.opensubtitles]2