Solved Intel NUC htpc setup, IR, harmony remote
Thanks heaps for this. I am slowly getting to grips with the keymapping side and your article helped. Running windows 7 with a harmony one on an NUC D54250WYKH. Only thing I can't do is to map the mouse controls to the number keys as per your example. IF i choose MCE Remote under the Device drop down, it doesn't offer me the mouse commands. I only see them as an option when I choose MCE Keyboard under the Device drop down. Have mapped them all, updated remote but pressing the buttons has no effect on the mouse onscreen. All buttons mapped under the MCE Remote work fine...

I'm assuming it's me Smile Any clues what I have or haven't done thanks.

Again, thankyou for taking the time to help newbies like me out

Ged
Thanks for the great guide!

I got everything working except for the life of me I can't get the ir script to run at startup. I can run it manually, but this is obviously not ideal. I followed the guide to the letter. Can anyone provide some assistance? ,auspbe something else I can try or something I may have overlooked? Thanks.
(2014-03-13, 19:52)halburrows Wrote: Thanks for the great guide!

I got everything working except for the life of me I can't get the ir script to run at startup. I can run it manually, but this is obviously not ideal. I followed the guide to the letter. Can anyone provide some assistance? ,auspbe something else I can try or something I may have overlooked? Thanks.

Put the code in /etc/rc.local. That worked for me.

BTW which OS are you running? In Ubuntu Server, I don't think scripts are run from the .config folder at start up. At least I also had to run the script manually after every reboot when it was in the .config folder.
I'm running Xubuntu 13.10. I'll give this a shot when I get home. Thanks a ton!!
(2014-03-13, 21:56)Jorgensen Wrote: Put the code in /etc/rc.local. That worked for me.

BTW which OS are you running? In Ubuntu Server, I don't think scripts are run from the .config folder at start up. At least I also had to run the script manually after every reboot when it was in the .config folder.

This did it!! Thanks so much!
mushoss:
1) sorry, but I don't know how to help you make it go to windows since I use linux
2-3) the skip forward/backward is an xbmc thing and isn't customizable (or at least I don't know a way to do it)
4) Under your "xbmc" device look for "next page in list" and "previous page in list" and correlate them w/ ch up/down
5) The blinking power button on the remote means it's "sleep". You need to change your power settings in the harmony software for your NUC to "leave device on". That being said, I've also created a shortcut on my harmony to turn just the power and sound back on (I have it named "long pause" - i.e. I'm going to make dinner, so I want the tv power and soundbar off, but the computer to keep it's place. My "long pause" is set to just power toggle the tv and soundbar power. When I press "long pause" again, it turns my tv and soundbar back on.)

To do this, click on "customize buttons" in the Harmony software activity for your NUC > click on "additional buttons" > device is "sequence" and go from there. Hope that helps.
Gedc:

Firstly, sorry, but I don't use windows or harmony one. The Logitech software must have updated and/or that command doesn't respond on windows the same way as it does on ubuntu. There's actually two different windows media center options as you pointed out, but my "MCE Remote" options on my Harmony software does allow for "Mouse Lup" which I correlated w/ my "1" on my remote, etc. I do have to press and hold the 1 for it to actually move though. As others have mentioned, it's slow and I don't really use it all that often. Try searching for the device again under Harmony?

Halburrows:

So glad Jorgensen's solution worked for you! For whatever reason, I seem to have gotten lucky and it worked for me the way I had it posted; but I'm glad that we have some alternatives on this thread in case it doesn't for others, like you.

Also, thanks for the tip Jorgensen!
Want to use your iphone/ipad or Android instead of your keyboard/mouse?! Try "HippoRemote Lite" (for iPad, you have to search for it under the iPhone apps). I came across it today and it's great for use OUTSIDE of XBMC. For whatever reason, it won't work for me inside XBMC (but that's what I have my Harmony for). If you do decide to use it, and use linux, follow the linux instructions for setup, BUT search for "desktop sharing" on your linux; it's not the "remote desktop" thing in ubuntu 13.10.

Also, my biggest issue with my harmony is a quick way to select a certain part of the show I want to watch (i.e. I stopped it 15 mins in or something). I came across "sybu xbmc" remote on my ios devices and you can scroll right to the minutes/seconds of the show! Awesome!
Hi
I am speculating about buying the Intel NUC D54250WYK2 (is this the new model?). It comes with HDMI, but is it possible to connect the NUC to an amplifier via optical? It has a stereo/mic jack. Is this with digital audio output? Is it possible to use it with a jack to optical adapter cable?
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Intel NUC 4250U (Haswell) in Abel H2 chassis, Philips 55OLED804
Yes, it's the current model. 3.5mm headphone jacks are analog. You would need a converter, & even then the sound isn't truly digital. Why wouldn't you use HDMI to connect to your display & then the audio out of the display to your amplifier? That's actually my setup. Using xbmc w/ this set-up though, you'll have to play w/ the audio settings inside xbmc. If it comes to that, let me know, & I'll give you details on how mine's set up.
(2014-03-17, 11:47)Ipaddle Wrote: Hi
I am speculating about buying the Intel NUC D54250WYK2 (is this the new model?). It comes with HDMI, but is it possible to connect the NUC to an amplifier via optical? It has a stereo/mic jack. Is this with digital audio output? Is it possible to use it with a jack to optical adapter cable?

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8 or http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Pre...B00BIQER0E and problem solved
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-03-21, 06:01)NUC-HTPC Wrote: Yes, it's the current model. 3.5mm headphone jacks are analog. You would need a converter, & even then the sound isn't truly digital. Why wouldn't you use HDMI to connect to your display & then the audio out of the display to your amplifier? That's actually my setup. Using xbmc w/ this set-up though, you'll have to play w/ the audio settings inside xbmc. If it comes to that, let me know, & I'll give you details on how mine's set up.
So, using the HDMI output from NUC to my Philips PFL 9704 and then using the Tv's SPDIF (Coaxial) to the amplifier. How would you configure XBMC with these settings? Audio to HDMI of course? Pass through? Is it correct that the NUC (current model) is using a mini HDMI?
By the way, I will definitly install openelec on the NUC and use it with a Logitech Harmony One+.

(2014-03-21, 08:10)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-03-17, 11:47)Ipaddle Wrote: Hi

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8 or http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Pre...B00BIQER0E and problem solved

Thanks. That is exactly what I would need.
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Yes, the NUC is mini-HDMI. I got my mini-HDMI to full HDMI cable from tiger direct, but I'm sure you can find them a number of places. With that device that was linked, I'm not sure about the audio settings, but it definitely looks like it's your best bet...my setup does go through the audio pass through settings on xbmc. Good luck!
(2014-03-22, 05:44)NUC-HTPC Wrote: Yes, the NUC is mini-HDMI. I got my mini-HDMI to full HDMI cable from tiger direct, but I'm sure you can find them a number of places. With that device that was linked, I'm not sure about the audio settings, but it definitely looks like it's your best bet...my setup does go through the audio pass through settings on xbmc. Good luck!

Also, would you recommend 4 or 8 GB RAM?
KODI 20 - LibreELEC 11

Since you're going w/ openelec, it sounds like it's strictly for xbmc - 4gb will be plenty.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC htpc setup, IR, harmony remote3