• 11(current)
Release Aeon Nox 5
Is there anyway to disable to "Favourites" home menu entry?
Yes teedubb get the latest preview it was missing in the first release
Cheers Smile
Very nice skin. Really snappy.

One little tiny issue with it, and Nox 4, can be seen here. Depending on the background, the text(plot, etc) can be difficult to read. On Nox 4 I added a background shadow as seen here, which made it easier to read regardless of the background. Maybe add something similar?

Edit:
I added some playlists to my movie submenu. If you change the view on one of them, they all change. Bug?
(2014-01-26, 03:26)Vaikin Wrote: Very nice skin. Really snappy.

One little tiny issue with it, and Nox 4, can be seen here. Depending on the background, the text(plot, etc) can be difficult to read. On Nox 4 I added a background shadow as seen here, which made it easier to read regardless of the background. Maybe add something similar?

Edit:
I added some playlists to my movie submenu. If you change the view on one of them, they all change. Bug?

I'll have a look on that background shadow. On a bright background it can be hard to read, I agree.

I dont think skins can influence the viewtypes on playlists. it should be remembered in the viewmodes.db iirc.
(2014-01-26, 01:03)BigNoid Wrote: Never heard of that usecase before. Will see then if can think of something. If I dont find a good solution, adding flags in that view is just a small mod to do yourself Smile
Here are a couple of examples using Nox 4.

I have the full Blu-ray for Star Trek and a 720p encode

Here's Game of Thrones, 1 episode is a tv rip and the other is a blu-ray rip.

Without the tags I can't tell them apart.
First off, skin is looking great BN.
I am trying to add sub menus to a custom on the home page. I have been able to add a playlist but when trying to add a favourite or addons, the lists are empty. Is this just me or is this part still a work in progress? Have also noticed, that what I can add to the sub menus disappears when I re-enter to add more items.
Since this is dev/design stage, I have a few thoughts.

What is the criteria a skin is considered a success? It's not like somebody made a poll "Heeeeey, what do you wanna see in the next version?!" So everything becomes very fast a matter of preference and if we're all really lucky there's a lot of consensus. And considering the skinners are in double digits numbers and the users are in... 6 digit numbers most of us take what's offered. If skinning was really that easy, those numbers should've been somewhat closer I think.

What's my point? Well, respectfully I disagree with the direction NOX it's taking. I understand that it's not finished and that many things may change but based on what I've seen I have at the very least questions (I'll suppress my knee-jerk reaction till later).
- square corners. Well, tongue-in-cheek style... Aeon Auriga called from 2009 and said "but, but... even I had rounded corners!?". I don't dig square corners as a matter of design. Posters look like bricks placed in space. Scroll-scroll-scroll. Bricks-bricks-bricks. Pointy square corners poking my eyes. I'm not gonna say it's bad, I just don't see it how it is better (can it be proven?)
- speed. Yeap, testing version was very speedy. But did anybody asked for more speed prior? I mean, I know there will always be somebody trying to run an Aeon skin on a 2008 phone but... why is speed suddenly a priority? I'm just curious.
- I can't shake a feeling this was build to run smoothly on touch mobile devices where - incidentally - max precise area of interaction is paramount so... no fluff, square corners here they are. Hmmm...
- it's nothing wrong to build a fast skin for touch devices (or for anything else) but it's a _different_ skin. So what happens to the users of 4.x?
- 'cause you know, if I think about it, I'd venture a guess that 4.x users would want first and foremost a 4.x that works with Gotham, and then and only then a better NOX. Otherwise how does it look...? We moved to Gotham but there's a long and distinctive list of things we... lost in the fire. How is this good? I'd like to keep what I had and maybe get something more/better. Hey maybe I'll trade a bit here and there for a greater overall gain. But I won't sacrifice half of the features I like for some new features I don't want and one good thing (moving ahead to Gotham). That's like upgrading to Windows 8. Thanks, but no. Smile

On the argument of (not precise quoting) "if you don't like some changes here I'm sure there are other skins our there to fit your needs". Again, respectfully, no. Our opinions differ again. It's not like there are 9 Aeon-style skins. There's Aeon NOX and there's MQ. Technically, the authors are geniuses and the amount of skill they show every day is mind-bending. But _as a user_, my own assessment is MQ lost its way when it moved from 3 to 4 (and by ditching the original landscape view and other stuff it remains lost) and NOX seems not far to follow suit, considering the present changes. What do I mean by this? There's a number of unspoken, difficult to determine design features that make a skin recognizable and usable in a certain way. Since the original Aeon concept was invented changes have been applied and applied again and again. There is a point where the original concept will be so messed with that nobody remembers it.

There's a balance between "let's prune most feature off of it and make it fast for X & Y reason" and "let's put 53 views with any and all art&scripts multilayered on the every screen till it doesn't move". My opinion is that 4.x struck a better balance than what 5.x seem to be promising. But this is just me.
(2014-01-26, 06:56)Daydream Wrote: What's my point? Well, respectfully I disagree with the direction NOX it's taking....

There is nothing stopping you from forking Aeon Nox 4 and making it compatible with Gotham, or even making your own skin that does exactly what you want. If you don't have the skill to do so be happy with the fact that people who put lots of their precious time into making skins are kind enough to share their hard work with you. Beggars cant be choosers.
(2014-01-26, 07:10)teeedubb Wrote: There is nothing stopping you from forking Aeon Nox 4 and making it compatible with Gotham, or even making your own skin that does exactly what you want. If you don't have the skill to do so be happy with the fact that people who put lots of their precious time into making skins are kind enough to share their hard work with you. Beggars cant be choosers.

+1

I can not saying better
And how many skinners did this philosophy create?
(2014-01-26, 07:25)Daydream Wrote: And how many skinners did this philosophy create?

Where do you think All the skinners came from?

Daydream took the time to fully elaborate a strong opinion. Nothing wrong with being honest .
(2014-01-26, 07:26)isamu.dragon Wrote:
(2014-01-26, 07:25)Daydream Wrote: And how many skinners did this philosophy create?

Please look at how many users are there versus how many original skins. To make a true original thing is not so easy or there would've been 1000 skins for XBMC. I've heard this argument before "don't like it - make your own". This gives license to everybody to do whatever they like. Which is their right and I have no problem with it. I was just curious if a bit more accountability is possible and maybe some open discussions about design and choices and less about "who's right / who's wrong".
(2014-01-26, 07:32)Daydream Wrote:
(2014-01-26, 07:26)isamu.dragon Wrote:

Please look at how many users are there versus how many original skins. To make a true original thing is not so easy or there would've been 1000 skins for XBMC. I've heard this argument before "don't like it - make your own". This gives license to everybody to do whatever they like. Which is their right and I have no problem with it. I was just curious if a bit more accountability is possible and maybe some open discussions about design and choices and less about "who's right / who's wrong".

So your argument is if it's hard, then I can't do it.

All of the skinners had their own ideas and decided to make their own.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox 537