Interest in new XBMC compatible HW
Hello xbmc community!

We have been working on a device for the last 18 months that may be of interest to enthusiasts who have, in the past, supported products like Boxee and GoogleTV, and projects such as MythTV and XBMC. In order to better determine what features and software we should support and how we should best market such a product, I am reaching out to you, our target demographic, to ask for your opinion.

The box we have, as it sits, has the following features:
- dual-core 1.6GHz Atom CPU
- 2GB DDR-1600 (future option of 4GB)
- OpenGLES 2 graphics from an SGX545 GPU
- Hardware video decoder, capable of decoding 2 1080p H.264 streams simultaneously (with HW support for 3D and trick-play), with scaling for PIP. Hardware support for WMV and MPEG2
- Hardware audio decoder supporting MP3 and AAC
- Hardware encoder supporting transcoding
- HDMI in and out (with CEC) (similar to google TV, allowing video overlay)
- All the usual connectors: SPDIF, USB, eSata, Gig-E
- Wireless option
- fanless, low-power operation (expected to be around 20W, full-tilt)

Right now, the box runs Linux 2.6.39 and supports Qt 4.8.1, rendering through gles. We have web-kit for Internet content and gstreamer for media. The box can also run Android natively or in a VM.

We have the option to do a locked box supporting DRM on which we could deliver all your favorite Internet content, or an unlocked box running MythTV, XMBC, or your choice of software using our SDK.

We can also support Blu-ray playback (officially on locked box only), and have considered providing an external storage dock with dual HD tuners and HDD interface for DVR or serving your own content! We can also offer a user-configurable channel guide, so that you know what's on and when to record it (requires subscription for guide)!

The enclosure is expected to be approximately 6"x6"x1", and the unit will retail for about $300.

Is there any interest in such a product? Any feedback is welcome!

Thank you!

(EDITED: Added additional feature descriptions.)
I would not be interested in any product based on an Atom N2600.
(2014-01-21, 05:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I would not be interested in any product based on an Atom N2600.
... or the SGX545 GPU with its Linux support
nope, i pass....
(2014-01-21, 05:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I would not be interested in any product based on an Atom N2600.

I do see the similarity in specs, but the CPU is not an N2600. It is an Intel CE5300. Can I ask what your concern is? Are you concerned about video decode performance or computational performance?

(2014-01-21, 06:32)live4ever Wrote:
... or the SGX545 GPU with its Linux support

We have driver support directly from PowerVR and can distribute binary-only drivers along with the box. Are you concerned about graphics/menu performance or the availability of an open-source driver?

Thanks for your responses! Smile
(2014-01-21, 06:38)eskro Wrote: nope, i pass....

Are you not in the market for an HTPC, is there an issue with the HW specs, or do you have another concern?

Thanks!
(2014-01-21, 05:29)Astromation Wrote: - OpenGLES 2 graphics from an SGX545 GPU

Right now, the box runs Linux 2.6.39 and supports Qt 4.8.1, rendering through gles. We have web-kit for Internet content and gstreamer for media. The box can also run Android natively or in a VM.

I'm afraid there never will be open source drivers for PowerVR Graphix. So you are dependant on the Graphix vendor to update kernel in future.

And kernel 2.6.39 is a joke i guess.
A new box should support at least 3.10.x wich is the latest longterm line.
(2014-01-21, 11:04)CaptainPsycho Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 05:29)Astromation Wrote: - OpenGLES 2 graphics from an SGX545 GPU

I'm afraid there never will be open source drivers for PowerVR Graphix. So you are dependant on the Graphix vendor to update kernel in future.

And kernel 2.6.39 is a joke i guess.
A new box should support at least 3.10.x wich is the latest longterm line.

Hello CaptainPsycho!

I'm not sure I understand why 2.6.39 would be "a joke"... I agree I would like to see updated support from PowerVR, and when it becomes available, we will provide the kernel update and new binary drivers. In the meantime, can you explain why you feel 2.6.39 would be unacceptable for an embedded application?

Thanks for your comments!
(2014-01-21, 11:17)Astromation Wrote: I'm not sure I understand why 2.6.39 would be "a joke"... I agree I would like to see updated support from PowerVR, and when it becomes available, we will provide the kernel update and new binary drivers. In the meantime, can you explain why you feel 2.6.39 would be unacceptable for an embedded application?

You will provide kernel update and binary drivers. Ok, but for how long?

Had to ditch a lot of hardware in the past due to lack of vendor support. f.e. one notebook caused by PowerVR not providing stable drivers.
(2014-01-21, 11:42)CaptainPsycho Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 11:17)Astromation Wrote: I'm not sure I understand why 2.6.39 would be "a joke"... I agree I would like to see updated support from PowerVR, and when it becomes available, we will provide the kernel update and new binary drivers. In the meantime, can you explain why you feel 2.6.39 would be unacceptable for an embedded application?

You will provide kernel update and binary drivers. Ok, but for how long?

Had to ditch a lot of hardware in the past due to lack of vendor support. f.e. one notebook caused by PowerVR not providing stable drivers.

Good questions, CaptainPsycho!

How long will we provide driver support? Longer than Boxee and Logitech Revue! Smile

We expect to support the product for it's usable lifetime, which we predict to be 5 to 7 years, or as long as Intel and Verizon continue to promote the platform. (Yes, this is the same CPU found in Intel's OnCue product, recently sold to Verizon for up to $500MM).

How long would you expect?

Does that make you feel better? Smile

(EDITED: Reports are that the sale of OnCue could be as little as $200MM.)
(2014-01-21, 12:04)paulwalker Wrote: This is really great option to buy xbmc H/W. and how long does its drivers support.

Hi PaulWalker, and thanks for asking!

We expect to actively support the platform for 5 to 7 years, which we expect to be the useful life of the product.
Is this going to be a Kickstart product?

$300 sounds a little too much for such a device. I think you will be better served if you can hit a sub-200 price point, otherwise NUC is a viable alternative.
I don't see the price point working. If I can grab a more powerful NUC for significantly less I would.
No matter the spin, the Intel CE5300 is a 2 year old part and not worth investing in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interest in new XBMC compatible HW1