Linux OSS Radeon driver (vs. fglrx)
Platform:
Ubuntu Linux 12.04
Kernel: 3.2.x (latest Ubuntu update)
XBMC: 12.3
GFX chip: Radeon HD 5450
TV (HDMI out from card): Toshiba 40L1333 40" HDTV @ 1920x1080

When I first built my HTPC I configured X11 to run with the OSS 'radeon' driver but ditched it pretty soon because audio over HDMI failed to work despite attempting the various suggestions such as passing radeon.audio=1 as a kernel boot parameter etc. Also h264 playback in XBMC of all my movies appeared to play at twice the speed! So I gave up and tried the proprietary ATI/AMD drivers available as the 'fglrx-updates' package through the regular Ubuntu APT sources. This worked out of the box and I got HDMI audio working without a hitch and video playback was good too. However, fairly frequently the fglrx driver would cause XBMC to lock up and both xbmc and X would enter an un-interpretable spin on the CPUs. Aggresive kill signals did nothing to remedy this as they were both blocked in 'D' state - plus there were a ton of kernel calltrace messages dumped to syslog all boiling down to a problem somewhere in the fglrx driver. I grew tired of this (a reboot was the only solution here) so recently reverted back to the OSS driver.

The problem described in the first few sentences still persists - no audio and playback just plain doesn't work properly! Can anyone point me in the right direction of an actual solution? Like I said enabling audio in the radeon driver makes no difference. I don't use pulse audio, XBMC is configured to use the HDMI device for audio and alsa can 'see' this as the audio device. What about the playback speed?

Other questions;
1) Does anyone know if the radeon driver can (or does) use VDPAU to offload decoding to the GFX chip?
2) Does anyone have any better experience with the fglrx driver (I haven't tried this 'catalyst' thing/approach)

Oh and if it matters, I'm using the uvesafb device for both grub and Linux before X kicks in with the radeon driver. Naturally I tried using the radeon driver at that boot stage and it made no difference.

Any experiences, guide, hints or solutions would be appreciated!

Jim

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSS Radeon driver (vs. fglrx)0