• 8(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
@MilhouseVH: You probably checked it, but just in case: have you tried checking the plastic "strips" that separate the copper contacts. I had a sdcard where these where so thin that they literally broke of if you rubbed the contact points the "wrong" way with your thumb. 1 or 2 had broken of without me noticing it which lead to no boot without pressure being applied. Because the plastic separators where so thin it was really hard to see. Rubbing them all of in a controlled way (using a fingernail) made the card work again. Heh

Really bad made card.. The plastic ended up breaking apart, but it still works fine.
(2013-07-30, 00:12)tuxen Wrote: @MilhouseVH: You probably checked it, but just in case: have you tried checking the plastic "strips" that separate the copper contacts. I had a sdcard where these where so thin that they literally broke of if you rubbed the contact points the "wrong" way with your thumb. 1 or 2 had broken of without me noticing it which lead to no boot without pressure being applied. Because the plastic separators where so thin it was really hard to see. Rubbing them all of in a controlled way (using a fingernail) made the card work again. Heh

Really bad made card.. The plastic ended up breaking apart, but it still works fine.

Yes, I checked the card for defects and it has none. I had a brand new 32GB SanDisk Ultra which cracked on the corner after a few days use (maybe half a dozen insertions) and so once popcornmix had steered me in the right direction I gave the card a thorough once over in case the same had happened but all is well. A dab of superglue fixed the SanDisk and it's been right as rain ever since (great card, no corruption at all and it gets a hammering in an overclocked Pi).

The strange thing about this other card which has now failed is that it isn't being removed - it's in an always-on Pi for the last 6 months, but eventually the Pi had to be rebooted and that's when it failed. Maybe it was just marginal to begin with... I'm still toying with the idea of tinning the contacts with a soldering iron to increase the chance of a good contact.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Ok that's odd.. If it just been sitting in the pi. Mine was/is also brand new 16GB Kingston class 10 but clearly bad buildt, once I taped it together again it works great so it was just the case the innards are super.

The soldering will probably work fine depending on how well your soldering skills are, you should be able to get even solder on each point, maybe its enough to give it some solder and then suck it back up using either a tin sucker or better some fine copper mesh. If you put that between the contact point and the solder iron tip the copper mesh will draw all excess solder of the contact point and you will have a nice thin even layer, the question is if that is enough. :/

Also those big contact points will draw heat fast to the inner parts, the pcb below, and the plastic separating the points so be quick as you can. I don't expect you can take it apart while doing it to have more control?

You can always experiment on a old pice of electronics with about the same exposed copper as the sd card and see how it behaves.

Good luck mate.. Smile Like to hear how it goes if you take the jump.
@ popcornmix or Rbej. Please Help Needed for a Newbee. I have a new strange problem with No Audio at all on Rbej Gotham Branch.

I have my Rpi since december 2012 and was before upgrading with either openelec-images from Chris Swan or official releases.
Since two months I came across the fantastic builds from Rbej and what a positive impact. These buils is really !! something different. Thanks alot for all the work going in to this !

Since the latest two upgrades I have no Audio coming through from my Rpi. My setup is a clean installed Rbej Gotham Branch 29.07 on USB. The Rpi is connected via HDMI to a Denon DVR1913 reciver and HDMI to a "non CEC" TV (Thes).

Log files can be found here: http://pastebin.com/e5YbgZjt

Most Importantly when I have the HDMI directly from Rpi with the Gotham 29.07 to the TV and boot the Audio is working. hence it seems something with the Audio detection. I did not have problem with this on some of the former builds (like Frodo from 16.07). Also I have second USB with SD card with openelec 3.1.5 installed and here the Audio works.

These builds are truly awesome, rbej and popcornmix: thanks a lot !!
(2013-07-30, 11:02)tuxen Wrote: Ok that's odd.. If it just been sitting in the pi. Mine was/is also brand new 16GB Kingston class 10 but clearly bad buildt, once I taped it together again it works great so it was just the case the innards are super.

The soldering will probably work fine depending on how well your soldering skills are, you should be able to get even solder on each point, maybe its enough to give it some solder and then suck it back up using either a tin sucker or better some fine copper mesh. If you put that between the contact point and the solder iron tip the copper mesh will draw all excess solder of the contact point and you will have a nice thin even layer, the question is if that is enough. :/

Also those big contact points will draw heat fast to the inner parts, and the plastic separating the points so be quick as you can. I don't expect you can take it apart while doing it to have more control?

You can always experiment on a old pice of electronics with about the same exposed copper as the sd card and see how it behaves.

Good luck mate.. Smile Like to hear how it goes.
This clearly isn't the thread to discuss this defect however there should be a root cause analysis done to determine the real cause of the failures. Maybe it's because there is no support for the back of the SD Card and the contact fingers are stronger than we think or maybe just not flexible enough to give a little thus creating too much force on the SD package and causing it to break. I myself will take a look into it and see if there is a better SD card socket that I could replace it with or possibly some sort of modification that would work. Again, maybe a different thread in the RPI forum would be better? Also I wouldn't place solder on top of the gold contacts of an SD card but that is just my opinion.
I agree with the thread issue, this clearly ain't the place :/ however since you continued it I can say there is better sdcard connectors out there RS/Farnell. I broke my first 256MB pi sdcard connector and bought a superior one at RS and soldered on instead.
(2013-07-29, 09:33)rbej Wrote: Updated Gotham Branch

- updated Xbmc Gotham

- remove Dual Audio Patch

http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/

http://lysin.me/rbej

This build is amazing!

- Boot time is *really* slow. The XBMC logo is shown for 2-3x longer then Frodo, this could just be skin errors if nobody else is seeing it. Not a big deal either way I never turn mine off.
- Menu navigation is exceptionally fast!
- Fast start times on movies, no video corruption or audio chirp as seen in the last Frodo
- Fast skipping through large files
- No issues playing any local file types
- No stalls playing any local files

Great work guys really excited for Gotham if this is the level of polish we can expect!
(2013-07-30, 11:02)tuxen Wrote: Good luck mate.. Smile Like to hear how it goes if you take the jump.

Since it's only a 4GB card I figured I didn't have very much to lose, so I tinned up the contacts using as little solder as I could, and... success!

You can feel the difference when inserting the card, and I know some people have broken their sockets so I don't know if this is a very good long term idea, but the card now works every time. If you've got a case, though, it's probably safer (and easier) to just jam in a piece of paper or credit card below the socket.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi rbej,

Thanks very much for all your builds.

With the last two or three builds I have lost my VNSI client connection??

Is there a new client or server for VDR that i need for these new builds, as I am preferring it it to tvheadend at the moment?

Many thanksSmile

pootler
Well, this sounds promising - the Raspberry Pi Foundation have an intern working on HD audio support (pass through, it would seem).

Raspberry Pi forum.

(FYI: dom there == popcornmix here). Smile
Very good DTS-HD, my Audio Receiver waiting for it!

The last Version from rbej is th best Version!
Rbej and Popcornmix, good job!
(2013-07-31, 01:10)MilhouseVH Wrote: (FYI: dom there == popcornmix here). Smile

Which is why we really need to thank him for all the time he has dedicated to XBMC.
Thanks for the rbej builds!

Is anyone else having a problem with Lcdproc not working on the latest Gotham build (29 July)?
(2013-07-31, 19:12)Paulnd Wrote: Thanks for the rbej builds!

Is anyone else having a problem with Lcdproc not working on the latest Gotham build?

I use a HD44780, and I sometime see,chars crash. Strange chars in display, randomly after 4-9 hours. I can't figure out, what wrong.
Btw. I use XBMC.lcdproc addon 2.3.0
I also use a HD44780 and the lcdproc addon 2.3.0 with a modified hd44780 driver.

It generally behaves itself but with the latest Gotham build I get connection errors and then a timeout, works when I revert to the 23 July build
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223