• 28(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
Is anyone else seeing tracebacks written to /var/log/messages repeatedly with a Gotham build? See pastebin.

Not sure how they are being triggered, but it looks vgecnmd related. I do have my "monitoring" process running which makes repeated vcgencmd calls. The traceback references lirc_dev, and I'm using an IR USB dongle (VRC-1100 remote), but not really sure if this is relevant.

My Gotham build is from OpenELEC master, plus newclock3 omxplayer patches, GUI patches from stupid-boy and sort/filecache/music library speedups.

Edit 1: I originally had the "[ffmpeg] Backport of h264_find_start_code_candidate optimisation" patch in my build, but still see these tracebacks without this patch.

Edit 2: I've been able to reproduce with some success as follows:

1. tail -F /var/log/messages

2 If using NFS, wait a minute or two to ensure playback can be started reliably (see: post#408)

3. Run the following command on the Pi TWICE in a second and third ssh window:
Code:
while [ true ]; do vcgencmd measure_clock core;  done

4. Drill into your files or library, and play a movie/tvshow (mike7's test movie should be sufficient). Playback will be very jerky, but that's to be expected.

5. When playback has finished, wait a short while (up to 30 seconds) and traceback messages should now begin to appear in /var/log/messages - if traceback messages don't appear, repeat step #4 by re-playing the movie through again. Sometimes traceback messages will start to appear during playback.

6. Interrupt the commands started in step #3, and the traceback messages will stop being written to /var/log/messages.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-22, 23:20)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-08-22, 22:21)Trickname Wrote: can someone confirm that movie start to play is slow ?

How slow is "slow"? Seems fast with NFS - depends on SD/HD/bit-rate etc., but usually 2 seconds or less.

I'm using NFS and it's extremely slow on some SD movies (8 Mile 28-35s, 23:06:36-23:07:11, Babylon 12s, 23:08:30-23:08:42) whilst others do only take about 2s. 8 Mile has a .sub and .idx file so perhaps that causes the problem but Babylon doesn't have any subtitle files. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=48317

I had this problem before updating to the latest build but it's definitely worse and was maybe 18s before for 8 Mile.

I have added some settings to advancedsettings.xml though but only ones that I saw I didn't have from rbej's xml. These all seem to be set in the system xml anyway though, so it seems unlikely they could be responsible.

<cachemembuffersize>2621440</cachemembuffersize>

<showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
<destroywindowcontrols>false</destroywindowcontrols>
<fanartres>540</fanartres>
<imageres>256</imageres>
<bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
<useddsfanart>false</useddsfanart>

<samba>
<clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout> (I previously set <curlclienttimeout>10</curlclienttimeout> as I found 30 was making me wait too long for streaming video to give up. I'm not using SMB anyway)
</samba>

I still have the same problems with DVD rip (VOB) playback, where after doing a SkipForward or Next Chapter, it plays a couple of secs, then freezes, then resumes playback. The freeze time has got a lot longer with the latest build though. It's quite hard to get DVD rips to play at all and takes me several tries with it dumping me back to the library and when it does start, I have to press keys randomly to get the movie to actually start, otherwise I'm just looking at a blank screen.

I have an issue with the volumes as well (using analog). With <ac3downmixgain>18.0</ac3downmixgain>, TV and Movies are OK at around -15 to 0 (depends on the programme/channel) but music needs to be turned down to -30, so there needs to be a setting to attenuate music playback by maybe 15db. Music has another problem in that when fast forwarding or rewinding, when playback resumes it's at full volume and it only returns to where it should be once Vol+/- is pressed once, which could be quite dangerous to speakers (and ears).
(2013-08-22, 22:21)Trickname Wrote: can someone confirm that movie start to play is slow ?

What build are you using, and are you using NFS?

With my own Gotham git builds (master, plus omxplayer patches) I've now started seeing that after a reboot, it's possible to try and play a movie (or tv show) and XBMC will hang when accessing the media over NFS.

Here's a debug log on pastebin.com.

At 00:31:52 I selected to play a tv show selected from the "Recently Added" widget, although it makes no difference if I select it from the library
At 00:31:53 XBMC announces that it needs to get a new NFS context
<Lots of noise from the skin widgets - GUI is now frozen>
At 00:34:01, XBMC declares that the NFS service has failed, GUI becomes "unfrozen".

If I try to play the same media file a second time after the error has first occurred, it will play without a problem. If I wait a minute or two after booting before starting playback, media playback is always reliable. Seems like a race condition in XBMC NFS mounts? This is why I use XBMC NFS mounts only on this "test" system... Sad
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Browsing a NFS share using Videos - Files, it only shows me two .flv and one .mp4 file, when there's another 13 files in that folder, mostly .mp4 but a couple .flv.

I note there's a file asound.conf in system. Does this control the mixdown for analog or only HDMI and can a copy be used in userdata to override it or must the system copy be edited? I tend to find the dialog is a bit quiet (although it does seem to have improved lately) so I'd prefer to boost the centre channel more and reduce the other channels if necessary.

Logging still appears to have the same bug I experienced before, as it hasn't updated since 23:09 which was when I last opened it to post it in my previous post.

EDIT: Hmm, seems it has an issue with files names like "The Americans Season 1 Episode 1 Pilot.mp4". If I rename it to 1.mp4 it shows up.

I had

<regexp>[!-._ \\/](?-i)(flash|USB_16GB|SD2)[-._ \\/]</regexp>

so I tried changing that to

<regexp>(flash|USB_16GB|SD2)</regexp>

but it didn't help. I don't really understand what the bits I removed are supposed to do though, and why most of the characters in [] are at both the start and end of the line.
(2013-08-21, 18:56)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 18:45)Bonzi Wrote: when I open a movie, the AVR becomes unresponsive and reboots (takes about 30s). When it comes back, I have audio.

It shouldn't be possible for the Pi to cause an AVR to reboot, whatever audio we output.
Might be worth reporting the problem to Logitech or finding out if there's a way of updating its firmware.

I'd also suggest disabling/enabling DTS/AC3 passthrough to see if that avoids the problem.

Hi thanks for the reply. Actually after playing with some of the settings, I found the setting that causes the problem.

If I activate, 'sync playback to display' then i get this problem with my AVR. With it off...no problems.
(2013-08-23, 00:10)lordvader Wrote: Had a play with a few different skins last night, and still have the same issue. To rule out something dodgy in my config, I renamed my .xbmc folder, and restarted.
The first time, I was able to go into video settings, set my refresh rate to 60Hz (the default was 1080p, 50Hz), and was able to "calibrate" the video, but adjusting the overscan values.

When I exit that screen, xbmc reset, and my pixel ratio was stretched significantly from that point on. Any attempt to enter the system/video settings from that point on results in constant resolution changes until xmbc crashes and restarts.

+1 for this. It seems to be incorrectly saving screen resolution information (mainly Aspect Ratio). To fix i have to delete guisettings.xml, go back to an older version (i picked 31/07 ish), set everything back up and then upgrade again. Now if it happens, i can just replace guisettings with a backup copy.

Silo
(2013-08-23, 12:59)Silo100 Wrote: +1 for this. It seems to be incorrectly saving screen resolution information (mainly Aspect Ratio). To fix i have to delete guisettings.xml, go back to an older version (i picked 31/07 ish), set everything back up and then upgrade again. Now if it happens, i can just replace guisettings with a backup copy.

Can you post the diffs between the working guisettings and the bad guisettings?
(2013-08-23, 00:10)lordvader Wrote: Had a play with a few different skins last night, and still have the same issue. To rule out something dodgy in my config, I renamed my .xbmc folder, and restarted.
The first time, I was able to go into video settings, set my refresh rate to 60Hz (the default was 1080p, 50Hz), and was able to "calibrate" the video, but adjusting the overscan values.

When I exit that screen, xbmc reset, and my pixel ratio was stretched significantly from that point on. Any attempt to enter the system/video settings from that point on results in constant resolution changes until xmbc crashes and restarts.

+1

I get the same as this I have tried deleting guissettings but still if system crashes it corrupts pixel ratio of background wallpaper etc
(2013-08-23, 13:34)evanspae Wrote:

+1

I get the same as this I have tried deleting guissettings but still if system crashes it corrupts pixel ratio of background wallpaper etc

Hope this can be fixed soon. It's the first thing my brother's going to have to do when I send the RPi to him in a few days.

Has the downmix option been moved from the Settings, as I can only see it in the context menu now, which seems a strange place to put a system setting?

I've scanned my media on my PC, as it's a lot quicker and copied the databases and thumbnails to the RPi but I can't seem to get the thumbnails working properly. I've used Ember to grab all the artwork for my Movies and TV Shows but on the PC, it's not showing either when browsing, although it shows some thumbnails for Recently Added TV Shows but not when I'm browsing the same series whilst Movies doesn't even show that but does on the RPi (I guess these were from when I scanned Movies on the RPi). How can I get either the PC or RPi to update the artwork?
(2013-08-23, 14:04)doveman2 Wrote:
(2013-08-23, 13:34)evanspae Wrote:

+1

Hope this can be fixed soon. It's the first thing my brother's going to have to do when I send the RPi to him in a few days.

Has the downmix option been moved from the Settings, as I can only see it in the context menu now, which seems a strange place to put a system setting?

I've scanned my media on my PC, as it's a lot quicker and copied the databases and thumbnails to the RPi but I can't seem to get the thumbnails working properly. I've used Ember to grab all the artwork for my Movies and TV Shows but on the PC, it's not showing either when browsing, although it shows some thumbnails for Recently Added TV Shows but not when I'm browsing the same series whilst Movies doesn't even show that but does on the RPi (I guess these were from when I scanned Movies on the RPi). How can I get either the PC or RPi to update the artwork?

Did you use pathsubstitution on any of your installations (PC or Raps)?

if not try to copy the textures.db from your working Rasp Installation to the PC Installation evtl. the PC db is broken. So it was by a friend of mine.

Greetz,
j.
(2013-08-23, 14:24)SSC_Jarod Wrote: Did you use pathsubstitution on any of your installations (PC or Raps)?

if not try to copy the textures.db from your working Rasp Installation to the PC Installation evtl. the PC db is broken. So it was by a friend of mine.

Greetz,
j.

Sorry, to clarify it's not working on either the RPi or PC really, it's just I have Movies artwork on the RPi but not anything for TV Shows whilst on the PC I don't have anything for Movies or TV Shows.

Is textures.db used instead of the thumbnails folder for artwork? I did just try copying it from the RPi to the PC but it hasn't added the Movies artwork.

I don't think I'm using pathsubstitution, how do I check? On the PC sources.xml has

<video>
<default pathversion="1"></default>
<source>
<name>Movies</name>
<path pathversion="1">nfs://192.168.1.69/Media/Movies/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
<source>
<name>Series</name>
<path pathversion="1">nfs://192.168.1.69/Media/Series/</path>
</source>
</video>

and on the RPi

<video>
<source>
<name>Movies (NFS)</name>
</source>
<source>
<name>Series (NFS)</name>
</source>
</video>
(2013-08-23, 13:04)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-08-23, 12:59)Silo100 Wrote: +1 for this. It seems to be incorrectly saving screen resolution information (mainly Aspect Ratio). To fix i have to delete guisettings.xml, go back to an older version (i picked 31/07 ish), set everything back up and then upgrade again. Now if it happens, i can just replace guisettings with a backup copy.

Can you post the diffs between the working guisettings and the bad guisettings?

The relevant part seems to be the fact that its not re-saving the overscan values and it's changing pixel ratio. Full diff on Pastebin

Code:
<resolution>
             <description>1920x1080 @ 60.00 - Full Screen</description>
             <subtitles>694</subtitles>
-            <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
+            <pixelratio>0.500000</pixelratio>
             <overscan>
-                <left>24</left>
-                <top>14</top>
-                <right>1256</right>
-                <bottom>706</bottom>
+                <left>0</left>
+                <top>0</top>
+                <right>1280</right>
+                <bottom>720</bottom>
             </overscan>
         </resolution>
sorry for making confusion, i have new router and this maybe did a network hikup.

Tested things again, and Rbej 22-08 starts playing movies in same time than other builds.
Next time i will look twice before posting and try to give all needed information. (SMB Share, Lan ect.)

or maybe this was happend here:

Linux Kernel 3.10.9 Released Six Hours After 3.10.8 to Fix Networking Bug
(2013-08-23, 14:24)SSC_Jarod Wrote: Did you use pathsubstitution on any of your installations (PC or Raps)?

Greetz,
j.

OK, I think I've fixed it by deleting the databases on the PC and rescanning. I'll try copying them to the RPi now.

Does anyone know a good way to get artwork for music albums/artists, as my collection is missing an awful lot at the moment?
(2013-08-23, 14:36)doveman2 Wrote:

Greetz,
j.

Sorry, to clarify it's not working on either the RPi or PC really, it's just I have Movies artwork on the RPi but not anything for TV Shows whilst on the PC I don't have anything for Movies or TV Shows.

Is textures.db used instead of the thumbnails folder for artwork? I did just try copying it from the RPi to the PC but it hasn't added the Movies artwork.

I don't think I'm using pathsubstitution, how do I check? On the PC sources.xml has

<video>
<source>
<name>Movies</name>
</source>
<source>
<name>Series</name>
</source>
</video>

and on the RPi

<video>
<source>
<name>Movies (NFS)</name>
</source>
<source>
<name>Series (NFS)</name>
</source>
</video>

Ok. I use pathsubstition for the thumbnails to stored on my server and not only in the textures.db or locally in the thumbnails folder on rasp. So this is not an option for you or the cause of nothing to see... Wink

Another trick: backup the textures.db e.g. from the rasp and then delete it. Then try to load under the Information menu the Poster, Fanart, etc. And check if you see then something on rasp... If so delete the db on pc either.

Hope this solves your Problem!

Greetz,
J
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223