• 33(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2013-08-25, 17:14)doveman2 Wrote:
(2013-08-25, 12:28)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-08-25, 00:38)doveman2 Wrote: Ah, I see it affects XBMC completely and shows the wrong time on Home and in the EPG (i.e. it shows the current programme as the one that was on an hour ago) and not just the log Sad

Just edit advancedsettings.xml and add the correct timezone information. E.g. I use:
Code:
<locale>
        <country>UK (24h)</country>
        <language>English</language>
        <timezone>Europe/London</timezone>
        <timezonecountry>Britain (UK)</timezonecountry>
    </locale>

That will fix the time. Not sure why setting this in the gui is broken in gotham builds.

Thanks, I'll try that. I checked guisettings.xml and that already has

Code:
<locale>
        <audiolanguage>original</audiolanguage>
        <charset>DEFAULT</charset>
        <country>UK (24h)</country>
        <subtitlelanguage>original</subtitlelanguage>
        <timezone></timezone>
        <timezonecountry></timezonecountry>
    </locale>

so as you can see, the timezone settings are blank which explains why it's not working.

Hmm, adding the settings to advancedsettings.xml didn't help and it still shows an hour behind onscreen. I put the timezone settings in guisettings.xml as well and that's fixed it.

Looking through I also saw

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>default</audiodevice>
        <channels>1</channels>
        <dtshdpassthrough>true</dtshdpassthrough>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
        <mode>0</mode>
        <multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
        <normalizelevels>true</normalizelevels>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>default</passthroughdevice>
        <processquality>30</processquality>
        <stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
        <streamsilence>true</streamsilence>
        <truehdpassthrough>true</truehdpassthrough>
    </audiooutput>

could the normalizelevels setting be causing Music to be so much louder than TV or does that setting apply to all audio? I note that there doesn't seem to be any downmix setting in there, is that located somewhere else?

There's also

Code:
<audio>
        <mute>false</mute>
        <fvolumelevel>1.000000</fvolumelevel>
    </audio>

and I wonder what fvolumelevel controls.

I also saw

Code:
<input>
        <enablejoystick>true</enablejoystick>

which I changed to false as I'm not using a joystick and it seems sensible to disable anything I'm not using.

Hi,,
Try these in your guisettings.xml:

<locale>
<audiolanguage>original</audiolanguage>
<charset>DEFAULT</charset>
<country>Deutschland</country>
<subtitlelanguage>original</subtitlelanguage>
<timezone>Europe/Berlin</timezone>
<timezonecountry>Germany</timezonecountry>
</locale>

Important is: timezone and timezonecountry, this must be the keys to get the right Time.

Since i have this, in every Branch ( Gotham or Frodo) the time is always right!

Hope this helps for you Wink

Greetz,
J.
(2013-08-25, 18:04)SSC_Jarod Wrote: Hi,,
Try these in your guisettings.xml:

Thanks, that's what I did and it seems to be correct now.
(2013-08-25, 16:58)popcornmix Wrote: <gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
</gui>
Brings back the 60 fps but 90% CPU usage as well.

Downgrading to OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Rbej-Version-Gotham-Branch(21.08.2013)-r15464.tar.bz2 brings back the speed without menu lag here.

Since 22.08 the system performance is really bad, gui lag and rubber banding everywhere, it feels like the system is some kind of under-clocked.
(2013-08-25, 17:33)popcornmix Wrote: @doveman2 and @MilhouseVH

There is a thread for dirty rectangle bugs:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171784

Ideally turn on visualizedirtyregions and set algorithmdirtyregions to 1 or 2 and take a screenshot.
It should show what area of the screen is getting unnecessary updates.

Thanks for reminding me about that thread. Turning on visualizations confirms the observations Martijn has already made in that thread (post #2).

(2013-08-25, 17:33)Martijn Wrote: It's not like you spend all day in settings right so this is just a very minor detail

What does this mean - buggy software is (more) acceptable if you don't use it often? Wink

I do hope you were joking though, otherwise that is a really quite worrying attitude.

(2013-08-25, 17:52)doveman2 Wrote: Strange that your CPU is so much lower than mine as I'm currently overclocking to 1000/450 with overvoltage=4.

I may have a few extra patches.

Edit: Actually, I do see slightly higher CPU load in stock Confluence - previously I had been testing with Confluence Modified. With stock Confluence, I see CPU load at about 70% when selecting the item in the right hand column.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
botribun to you use usb install ?
no i was not joking. and i hope you were joking about the "buggy software".
as stupid-boy said there's an effect on the button by design hence the reason it's dirty.

i see no issue because you only go into setting when you need to change something and then you leave again.
if this was happening somewhere in library or homescreen i agree but for settings this should not be an issue.
be grateful that stupid-boy found the other DR problems.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-08-25, 20:24)Martijn Wrote: no i was not joking. and i hope you were joking about the "buggy software".
as stupid-boy said there's an effect on the button by design hence the reason it's dirty.

i see no issue because you only go into setting when you need to change something and then you leave again.
if this was happening somewhere in library or homescreen i agree but for settings this should not be an issue.

That's not how things work in the real world though. People go into settings and something else comes up and they have to go off and leave it and they shouldn't have to remember to exit back to Home before they go to prevent it running at 90%.

If there's an effect on a button in settings that's making it do this, then it might not be a bug but's it bad design as there's no justification for having a effect on a button that causes 90% CPU and if it's known about, it should be fixed by removing the effect. I can't say I've noticed any particular effect on the buttons in the right-hand pane that is any different from the buttons in the left-hand pane anyway.
(2013-08-25, 20:23)Trickname Wrote: botribun to you use usb install ?
No just super fast SD cards, Sony SF8UX Class10 8GB SDHC (94 Mbit/s) and SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 8GB (95 Mbit/s). And both work really nice prior 22.08 build.
(2013-08-25, 20:24)Martijn Wrote: no i was not joking. and i hope you were joking about the "buggy software".

Nope, not joking here either - I am simply taking your argument to a logical extreme (while also not stating that XBMC is buggy software).

(2013-08-25, 20:24)Martijn Wrote: i see no issue because you only go into setting when you need to change something and then you leave again.

Although I agree it's not an often accessed part of the system, I really don't see the point in not trying to fix (or improve) something simply because it's not used often. You could say that about a ton of different scenarios and use cases - no need to fix/improve what isn't used often. Take that approach and quality ultimately suffers.

And yes, very grateful to stupid-boy for helping fix the DR problems and getting the Pi closer to maximum performance (and everything else running even smoother!)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-25, 20:45)doveman2 Wrote:

That's not how things work in the real world though. People go into settings and something else comes up and they have to go off and leave it and they shouldn't have to remember to exit back to Home before they go to prevent it running at 90%.

If there's an effect on a button in settings that's making it do this, then it might not be a bug but's it bad design as there's no justification for having a effect on a button that causes 90% CPU and if it's known about, it should be fixed by removing the effect. I can't say I've noticed any particular effect on the buttons in the right-hand pane that is any different from the buttons in the left-hand pane anyway.

come on seriously? if that's what you guys are worrying about you really need to find some other hobby.
if you can't even remember to leave settings and then again how often do even leave it there.
sorry but no way i am even going to take this seriously with such arguments.

that's like the same as me saying if you are worried about cpu usage get a i7 so you don't even notice.

note:
yes i am dead serious!
What's wrong with critic Martijn?.............alway's if somebody finds something that the team didn't notice there is critic here from the XBMC team............I really don't understand that.
sure you can have criticism if you have some good reasons like the other thing on home screen where valid things.
not that you leave your pi running 24/7 while you just forgot to exit settings.

but whatever. what do i know about it right...
(2013-08-25, 20:59)Martijn Wrote: sure you can have criticism if you have some good reasons. not that you leave your pi running 24/7 while you just forgot to exit settings.

but whatever. what do i know about it right...

Maybe not everything?.........I know that I am a nerd and admit that..........but just let forget it all. We all are here to learn
(2013-08-25, 20:49)Martijn Wrote: if you can't even remember to leave settings and then again how often do even leave it there.

That's the whole problem with your approach. People shouldn't have to "remember" to not leave it on a certain screen to avoid problems. That's not user-friendly at all and I can't imagine any other consumer device being released with such instructions "remember not to leave it on this screen, otherwise it will run at full power/heat even though it's not actually doing anything useful".

Many people do apparently leave their RPi's running 24/7, as they're low-power devices and it makes it an "instant-on" device, rather than having to wait whilst it boots and they shouldn't have to be worrying "oh, did I/my wife/my kids leave it on the Settings screen. I'd better turn on the TV and check before I go out/to bed".

I appreciate that the RPi and XBMC aren't commercial products but that's no excuse not to make it user-friendly,
(2013-08-25, 20:49)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-08-25, 20:45)doveman2 Wrote:

come on seriously? if that's what you guys are worrying about you really need to find some other hobby.
if you can't even remember to leave settings and then again how often do even leave it there.
sorry but no way i am even going to take this seriously with such arguments.

that's like the same as me saying if you are worried about cpu usage get a i7 so you don't even notice.

note:
yes i am dead serious!

Quite right... Show one ONE damm other MediaPlayer Software, that is only near close to XBMC!

I know xbmc sinc the first xbox days, and due reasons, i had to test and to work with a lot of mid and high priced players or software included the one in my fuxxx high priced 3D TV,,, and there are all, more or less, CRAP!!! So im landing since more then 10 years... at XBMC. Confused

And please remember, XBMC is for free and to get it worked on a "turtle" like Pi and make this little thing to one of the cheapest, but BEST Mediaplayers i've ever worked with......
.... Chapeau, to Team XBMC and people like Rbej....

Come on... You don't give up in a Race in first round, only your oil is a little hot, .... No... Lets solve the Problem together or give the guys the right input, who can code it, and bring the xbmc back on track... Wink

Blaming people, has never solved problems...

Greetz,
J.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223