OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2013-10-18, 11:54)Johnkg Wrote: I still boot from NFS as I assumed it stopped SD card corruption and ran quicker. Is that no longer the case?

Yes, booting via NFS can eliminate SD corruption, but so can disabling auto-update and using disk=NFS so that only /storage is mounted over NFS. However booting via NFS is never going to be the quickest option, unless you've got a really awful SD card.

With auto-update disabled and booting from /dev/mmcblk0p1, should you want to try a manual update you can just drop the files in the Update folder and cross your fingers. When "booting" via NFS you've got to manually perform the update - copying the SYSTEM file to your NFS partition, and the rest of the files to your SD card, which could still corrupt itself unless you perform the update in your PC.

Bottom line, there's no benefit to booting over NFS.

(2013-10-18, 12:41)hudo Wrote: ** EDIT **
I keep my SD cards locked! No corruption.

Nice idea, but the Pi has no way of reading the locked/unlocked status of the SD card as the pin isn't connected on the SD socket... Wink

(2013-10-18, 14:19)RichG Wrote: Does the System file ever get written to?

In other words, if the System file is on SD card can it still be write protected?

As stated by trogggy, the primary SD partition will be written when updating OpenELEC. Normally this partition is mounted read-only, but will be mounted writable during the update, during which time corruption can - if you're unlucky - occur.

If you want to eliminate the risk of SD card corruption, disable auto-update, boot from /dev/mmcblk0p1 with NFS, SMB or USB used for disk, and then update firmware on the SD card primary partition using only your PC...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
AW: RE: - by DieterLumpen - 2013-07-29, 20:50
include guires switch? - by hpbaxxter - 2013-08-01, 21:46
RE: dual audio?? - by pootler - 2013-08-03, 17:13
Help, watch 3D Film on Non 3D TV - by unix72 - 2013-08-09, 12:39
Remote Controllers - by tfft - 2013-08-14, 09:11
rbej repeatable crash - by RichG - 2013-08-19, 12:43
New Tester - by theneverstill - 2013-10-03, 17:16
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2 - by Milhouse - 2013-10-18, 16:10