• 74(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
Anyone know if any PVR optimizations are planned for Pi?

I played around with the 09-10 Gotham build earlier and noticed the PVR section was generally quite a bit slower than zipping around other sections (video,music etc) - especially tv channels/timeline.

I also had some long ~20sec delays trying to start a channel.
Havent had chance to grab logs yet..
I range from 3 to 7 seconds switching channels. Myth backend. North America, all HD.
(2013-10-18, 20:06)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-10-18, 12:38)rbej Wrote: Updated Frodo Branch

- updated OpenElec build

- updated firmware and kernel

- sync with Frodo Popcornmix branch (frodo_rbp_backports)

http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/

http://lysin.me/rbej

Things to test:
Black screen when switching channels with live tv
Loud noise at start of playback when using amplification
Seek hanging when deinterlace is enabled

You can use the advancedsetting streamsilence (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml) to keep hdmi audio active when playback stops.
This should avoid the loss of a couple of seconds of audio at start of playback while receiver locks on, and is useful for music playback.

Hopefully there will be a gotham build too....

Still issue with black screen when switching channels with live tv in this build
I change channel in 2 sec if audio format is the same. When channel have other audio (aac) switch time is up to 8 sec. when using rbej 25.08

i only see black screens when playing on deinterlace, but not with newest build
How many channels do you guys have?
I have about 150 and it takes about 10 seconds to load timeline view.

Will have a dig around today and see if i can figure out what causes the delay when starting playback.
Yes loading timeview has always been slow on rpi, up to 10 seconds.
Channelchange is ~3seconds on OE 3.2.3 with tvheadend.
I give my pi 30 channels and EPG loads every bootup. This maybe take 1 minute to load.
Yes switching view to EPGtimeline take some time.

too bad i have to use win for my FireDTV Confused
tryed out MePo and Argus it seems that don´t responsible for switching times
This PR for Gotham can help reduce CPU load while idle (somewhat skin dependent). It relates to this Trac issue (discussed here).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I find navigating the EPG can be slow sometimes and it often gets stuck and I have to wait maybe 20s for it to unfreeze (at which point it processes the keypresses I'd done whilst it was stuck). It can be quite slow starting a channel as well but it's bearable. Would be better if it showed that it had recognised the keypress and was starting though, as it doesn't give any indication at the moment (other than pressing keys and observing it no longer moves).

Regarding SD corruption, I was until recently using an old 2 or 4GB microSD in an SD adapter I had already and that corrupted everytime I updated. Now I've bought a Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD and it hasn't corrupted when updating since, so perhaps it's more the SD card rather than individual RPI's that is the main factor here.

I can't update the skin I use, xTV-SAF, at the moment as it says "Dependencies not met".

I edited the xbmc.gui version in the addon.xml from 4.0.0. to 5.0.0 and the required addons it lists are:

<import addon="script.xbmc.debug.log" version="11.0.6"/>
<import addon="script.favourites" version="4.0.8"/>
<import addon="script.artwork.downloader" version="12.0.11"/>
<import addon="script.globalsearch" version="1.1.0"/>
<import addon="service.skin.widgets" version="0.0.2"/>

I have:

script.xbmc.debug.log v12.0.1
script.favourites v4.0.9
script.artwork.downloader v12.0.20
script.globalsearch v1.1.1
service.skin.widgets v0.0.27

However, I notice that service.skin.widgets specifies that it requires:

xbmc.addon v12.0.0
xbmc.json v6.0.0
xbmc.python v2.1.0 (the others all require this as well)
script.module.simplejson v2.0.10

I have script.module.simplejson v3.3.0 but I don't appear to have the others, unless they are somewhere other than .xbmc\addons. I would have thought XBMC should automatically download any required dependencies though. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Ok, so I done a little more playing this afternoon - the EPG seems a bit more snappy if you go into Settings > Live TV > EPG > Days to display in EPG = 1

I'm still seeing long delays starting videos (even recordings) I can start playback of a recording, but if I try to seek forward (the + 30s option, haven't tried FF/RW) it just feezes, in the end I have to press stop to get back to the menu.

Logs are up here if anyone can make sense of it; http://pastebin.com/tdjspHFT
I had a scan through and it didn't look healthy but I don't know what the cause is.

That is all seen using Rbej 09/10/13 Popcornmix Gotham version and Mediaportal PVR.
@Swifty,

I had the same problem with it freezing when trying to step forward but I think if you disable Deinterlace it works OK. I think popcornmix has fixed this bug now anyway, so we just need to wait for a new Gotham build to test.

I wonder if setting the Days to display =1 will a) prevent it finding programmes on later dates when searching or b) cause problems when the date overlaps, i.e. at 23:30-00:00.
(2013-10-19, 16:29)doveman2 Wrote: I find navigating the EPG can be slow sometimes and it often gets stuck and I have to wait maybe 20s for it to unfreeze (at which point it processes the keypresses I'd done whilst it was stuck). It can be quite slow starting a channel as well but it's bearable. Would be better if it showed that it had recognised the keypress and was starting though, as it doesn't give any indication at the moment (other than pressing keys and observing it no longer moves).

Regarding SD corruption, I was until recently using an old 2 or 4GB microSD in an SD adapter I had already and that corrupted everytime I updated. Now I've bought a Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD and it hasn't corrupted when updating since, so perhaps it's more the SD card rather than individual RPI's that is the main factor here.

I can't update the skin I use, xTV-SAF, at the moment as it says "Dependencies not met".

I edited the xbmc.gui version in the addon.xml from 4.0.0. to 5.0.0 and the required addons it lists are:

<import addon="script.xbmc.debug.log" version="11.0.6"/>
<import addon="script.favourites" version="4.0.8"/>
<import addon="script.artwork.downloader" version="12.0.11"/>
<import addon="script.globalsearch" version="1.1.0"/>
<import addon="service.skin.widgets" version="0.0.2"/>

I have:

script.xbmc.debug.log v12.0.1
script.favourites v4.0.9
script.artwork.downloader v12.0.20
script.globalsearch v1.1.1
service.skin.widgets v0.0.27

However, I notice that service.skin.widgets specifies that it requires:

xbmc.addon v12.0.0
xbmc.json v6.0.0
xbmc.python v2.1.0 (the others all require this as well)
script.module.simplejson v2.0.10

I have script.module.simplejson v3.3.0 but I don't appear to have the others, unless they are somewhere other than .xbmc\addons. I would have thought XBMC should automatically download any required dependencies though. Does anyone know how to fix this?

there is no reason it shoudn't work.

it works for the other 1 million users or so. and you should not edit anything yourself if you don't know what you are doing.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-10-19, 15:40)MilhouseVH Wrote: This PR for Gotham can help reduce CPU load while idle (somewhat skin dependent). It relates to this Trac issue (discussed here).

Rbej, a new version with this patch would be great!

2.1: The first and second Post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1530905

2.2: Skin Ace Gotham, my new Test with another position(not over AV-Receiver) from Pi and Datetime and weather disabled in left edge(this is a skin Option) with 1000/500/500/6 Overclocking
maximal Temperature when navigate any time in menu maximal 72°C and after idle mode 58°C
I'm building popcornmix's newclock3 right now. Might aswell share it when it finishes.

No rbej's patches, do. Clean newclock3.
Thanks doveman, at least that explains one of the things im seeing Smile

I think the Epg periodically loads so i guess its a fairly "rolling" one day so wouldnt have thought it should cause problems at midnight.

Hopefully someone has a pointer on the slow video start, then the Pi starts to look pretty usable for me.
I should note, my Pi is one of the very first model b so only 256mb ram, not sure how much impact that has?
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223