• 165(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0120 (obsolete)

Code:
rpi512:~ # uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.12.8 #1 PREEMPT Mon Jan 20 16:15:39 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
rpi512:~ # vcgencmd version
Jan 10 2014 16:54:51
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version efa116b5c8859c352322cb27e13baccbea583ef7 (clean) (release)
rpi512:~ # lsb_release
OpenELEC_Gotham (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140120161445-r17060-g5ecc934

Based on tip of XBMC master (6546944, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (5ecc934, changelog) with the following modifications: Notes:
  1. This build includes improvements for DVD menu performance (hardware decode now enabled) and reduced GPU memory. This may fix high CPU in menus and green flashes (I can confirm it did for me)
  2. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... omxplayer".
  3. A recent upstream change is to enable multicache for MKV (PR:3963) - not sure what impact this will have
For passthrough you also need (in config.txt):
Code:
no_hdmi_resample=1
hdmi_stream_channels=1
And make sure "speaker layout" is set to "2.0". You will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-20, 19:00)MilhouseVH Wrote: [*]This build includes improvements for DVD menu performance (hardware decode now enabled) and reduced GPU memory. This may fix high CPU in menus and green flashes (I can confirm it did for me)

Just to elaborate I'd like people to run using (hw-accelerated) dvdplayer as the standard media player in xbmc on Pi.

In my testing it appeared pretty responsive in starting/stopping/seeking compared to omxplayer which requires more buffering on GPU.
It is a little less efficient in CPU than omxplayer, but should play all 720p content, and modest 1080p content (no raw Blu-Rays).
It should work bettrer with DVD images, including menus.
It may well work better with live TV issues (not tested by me so far).
If you have any annoying behaviour with subtitles/streaming/buffering/seeking/trickplay etc then it may behave differently.

Just try playing your normal content with dvdplayer in advancedsettings.xml, and report back what seems better or worse compared to omxplayer.

Depending on this testing we make make dvdplayer the default player in the future, and have omxplayer as an optional player for 1080p content.
Quote: post #2417

I had following observations;

By default this build uses
Code:
<video>
      <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
      <defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      <busydialogdelayms>750</busydialogdelayms>
</video>
<audio>
        <defaultplayer>paplayer</defaultplayer>
</audio>
by changing to <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer> I like Millhouse got flashing menus (this on on iso file) but they did allow menu selection of various functions which did work. However with my audio output via HDMI I just got splats etc on audio but functioning video.

In addition
Code:
Using r17048 with
Default DVD Player: omxplayer
Default Video Player: omxplayer
Default Audio Player:[b] omxplayer[/b]

DVD HD audio did work with setting<defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer> HD audio works for one track, but audio breaks on subsequent tracks, playback has to be stopped and then restarted then it works ok, keep audio alive does not affect this breakup.

I know this release is now obsolete but hope observation are of use.
Location UK; Media server Windows 7 with ArgusTV 2.3 with TBS6981 DVB-S2 x4 and DVB-T x 2:All network connections cabled on 1Gb router Raspberry Pi2 1GB x 2; RPI 3 x1; PiB+512MB x 3; TV Samsung 55" C8000; AV Denon AVR X2200W
(2014-01-20, 19:15)evanspae Wrote: I like Millhouse got flashing menus (this on on iso file) but they did allow menu selection of various functions which did work. However with my audio output via HDMI I just got splats etc on audio but functioning video.

For passthrough you also need (in config.txt):
Code:
no_hdmi_resample=1
hdmi_stream_channels=1

And make sure "speaker layout" is set to "2.0". You will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS.

(MilhouseVH - can you add this info to your "build" post)
(2014-01-20, 19:15)evanspae Wrote:
Quote: post #2417
In addition
Code:
Using r17048 with

OK that's the #0118 build, try the latest #0120 build.

(2014-01-20, 19:17)popcornmix Wrote: (MilhouseVH - can you add this info to your "build" post)

Done.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-20, 19:17)popcornmix Wrote: For passthrough you also need (in config.txt):
Code:
no_hdmi_resample=1
hdmi_stream_channels=1

I still get only static with passthrough enabled.

Most of my 1080 movies and tv shows with DTS lags with passthrough enabled, but plays fine when disabled.

Local subs have a hard time enabling.Must toggle multiple times and adjust sync to get it enabled.
Downloaded subs work fine.

Latest Milhouse build, but have been having issues with no 2 and 3 for atleast a month

512MB 1000/500/500 overvolt 4
NFS via autostart.sh
(2014-01-20, 19:39)janaha Wrote: I still get only static with passthrough enabled.

Most of my 1080 movies and tv shows with DTS lags with passthrough enabled, but plays fine when disabled.

Local subs have a hard time enabling.Must toggle multiple times and adjust sync to get it enabled.
Downloaded subs work fine.

Latest Milhouse build, but have been having issues with no 2 and 3 for atleast a month

Can you be explicit about whether these problems affect omxplayer, dvdplayer or both?
Did you really mean passthrough enabled lags more?
dvdplayer just produced static with passthrough
omxplayer lags (or should I say micro stutter)with dts passthrough enabled,but plays fine without lag when off.
Lag only occurs on 1080 rips
I've only tested the subtitle issue with omxplayer
(2014-01-20, 21:43)janaha Wrote: dvdplayer just produced static with passthrough

What does "vcgencmd get_config int" report?
(2014-01-20, 21:46)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-20, 21:43)janaha Wrote: dvdplayer just produced static with passthrough

What does "vcgencmd get_config int" report?
Code:
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=4
sdtv_aspect=1
hdmi_drive=2
program_serial_random=1
emmc_pll_core=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
force_turbo=1
temp_limit=85
force_pwm_open=1
force_hdmi_open=1
no_hdmi_resample=1
pause_burst_frames=1
hdmi_stream_channels=1
avoid_fix_ts=1
(2014-01-20, 22:18)janaha Wrote: ...

When you are getting the static, does switching inputs on receiver or power cycling receiver have any effect?
Do you get static with DTS and AC3 files?
Static with both dts and ac3
Turning off passthrough from in-video menu works and sound is restored.Enabling it again--->static.
I'm off to work,so I don't have anymore time to play with it, but will try power cycling and switching channels on receiver tommorrow.
(2014-01-20, 22:40)janaha Wrote: Static with both dts and ac3
Turning off passthrough from in-video menu works and sound is restored.Enabling it again--->static.
I'm off to work,so I don't have anymore time to play with it, but will try power cycling and switching channels on receiver tommorrow.
Do you have gui sounds on?
No
Not a good experience with this build, with either omxplayer or DVD Player as default.

MythTV recordings played back poorly - out of sync, with choppy, tearing video and audio. At one point, the video froze up and bogged everything down - the pi did not completely freeze, but got super, super sluggish until a reboot.

Generally, CPU was unusually high.

Also, quite unstable, crashing during playback, but that may be from the recent masters, as the Jan 21 Pi Chimney build also crashed once before I reverted to the Jan 18 Millhouse build. Ordinarily I have no crashes.
  • 165(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223