• 175(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-01-28, 02:12)Mamukutty Wrote: can anybody help me ? when i start watching movies it says playback failed , check log file
how can I resolve this problems?

Did you check your log file? If you don't understand it, upload the debug log (wiki), nobody can help without seeing the error (most likely a file permission problem).

Also, this thread is for development testing and your problem is a general issue so you should be posting about it in the "General Help & Support" section (it will have more eyes-on than this sub-section).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
on Version: devel-20140127020806-r17171-g113849c

If been looking at average cpu times to see if anything strange would show up.
The way of measurement is highly unscientific where just looking for interesting data.
- testing is done using standard skin, some addons like trakt, youtube, tvheadend-plugin are enabled
- idle times are measured after 1 minute of idle, by just watching the cpu
- my cpu is overclocked to medium settings turbo-mode on (I assume this is a modest overclock recommended for everyone)
- a usb drive is used to store my userdata etc...
- running at 720p 60 refresh rate

idle browsing inside an empty folder (at videos) : 26%
idle at the home screen (videos) : 24%
idle at the home screen (videos) : 76% with rss running
idle at the home screen (movies) : 29% (moviebar shows movies on top)
idle at the home screen (music) : 24% no music scanned atm
synchronizing Movies with trakt : 98% is used during this operation (mind the 26% when inside an empty folder)
idle at settings menu (start) : 24 drops to 19 %
idle at summary information : 34 %
idle at PVR information : 29 %
idle at filemanager A root / B root : 21% (5 sources on both sides)
idle at filemanager A folder / B folder : 18% (both empty folders) cpu could dip as low as to 16.8%
idle at filemanager A folder / B folder : 19% (both with 1 movie) cpu could dip as low as to 18%
idle at movies list view : 37%
idle at movies thumbnails view : 27%
idle at movies fanart view : 41%
idle at live TV - all tv channels : 82% (none playing)
idle at live TV - all tv channels : (playing) untested because of bad signals
playing a 720p movie + subtitles : 50% (using the default player)
playing a SD movie : 37% (using the default player)
playing a SD movie : 42% (using the default player with menu overlay)

Ok I'll stop here for now.
Clearly leaving RSS on is not something you want with the Confluence skin.
The cpu can go as low as 16% and if you keep your system running leave at the settings menu or the the file manager where it can go under 20%.

if anyone has a suggestion to further lower the cpu or want other tests, please let me know.

other/higher clock speeds make my system freeze, but also here suggestions are welcome.
(2014-01-28, 02:34)TBCdevil Wrote: Clearly leaving RSS on is not something you want with the Confluence skin.

Any scrolling text (eg. movie or tv show plot) will cause the CPU to go through the roof.

(2014-01-28, 02:34)TBCdevil Wrote: if anyone has a suggestion to further lower the cpu or want other tests, please let me know.

Pretty much skin dependent, and stock Confluence is about the best there is. Any other skin (including Amber) will layer on more addons and widgets which will keep the CPU busy even while "idle".

(2014-01-28, 02:34)TBCdevil Wrote: other/higher clock speeds make my system freeze, but also here suggestions are welcome.

A better power supply is the usual option. Bumping your ARM and SDRAM voltages should help with stability if you haven't tried already.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
There isn't anything that could corrupt USB sticks in the recent build is there?

I ask as I've had repeated problems with my USB stick losing it's partitions recently. Even trying to freshly format it to ext4 with MiniTool Partition Wizard on my PC wasn't working properly and was going much too slowly, whether in a USB2 or USB3 port, so I then tried just formatting half of it, leaving the other 8GB unformatted and that worked OK and gave me /sda5 but after about a day, it stopped booting and said it couldn't find /sda5 and when I checked in the PC, the partition had disappeared again.

I recovered the partition with testdisk but strangely it's recovered to /sda1 so I don't know how it's managed that as when it was /sda1 it was when I'd formatted the entire 16GB as one partition but it's still showing one 8GB partition and one 8GB unpartitioned space! I haven't got round to actually using it in the RPi since though and have just been running from SD for a few days.

So if there's no way the RPi/OE could be causing this, I'll have to see if it's still in warranty and get it replaced.
Sounds like duff flash memory. There's nothing in the changelogs that would suggest anything has changed. Try a different stick and if it repeats then it may be worth investigating further but I'm running SD+USB here and have no problems so far...
(2014-01-27, 16:23)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 11:35)delinend Wrote: Just tryed Milehouse new build r17171, and I see some strange thinks, when playing DVD/iso/mpeg2 and MP4 movies.
The screen is jumping, on playback http://netlir.dk/jumping_screen.mp4

Is this a new problem with this build, not in previous build?
Does it affect omxplayer or dvdplayer?
If you turn off "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" but set the resolution/refresh manually to 24p does it behave well or badly?

Hi Popcornmix.

Done some more testing, with the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video = Always"..

There is no effect, when changing from omxplay to dvdplay. Screen still jumping.

If I change the "System"->"Video output"->"Resolution" from 1920x1080p to 1280x720p the jumping is gone. And all is working fine.

Installed Frodo 3.2.4 for test.:
If I playback a 24p movie, the screen turn right to 1920x1080p24. And no jumping.
If I playback a 25p movie, the screen turn to 1920x1080p50 (not 25p). And no jumping ?!?

On the Gotham r17176 build:
If I playback a 24p movie, the screen turn to 1920x1080p24. And no jumping (I was wrong before).
If I playback a 25p movie, the screen turn to 1920x1080p25. And now the screen is jumping.

The difference I see, is on playback of 25p movies in Frodo and Gotham. Frodo turns it to 50p and Gotham to 25p.
Is there any timing problem in the HDMI setting on Gotham, when using 1920x1080p25 ?
The jumping problem, is ONLY on my Samsung 51" screen. Not on my new LG 32".

Best regards
(2014-01-28, 04:27)MilhouseVH Wrote: Sounds like duff flash memory. There's nothing in the changelogs that would suggest anything has changed. Try a different stick and if it repeats then it may be worth investigating further but I'm running SD+USB here and have no problems so far...

Thanks, I thought it was unlikely. I don't have any spare USB sticks at the moment, so I'll either have to buy another one and then get the faulty one replaced later or just use the SD until the stick gets replaced.

I noticed some issues playing Mediaportal TV recordings (.ts) with DVDplayer.

Firstly, it didn't scale them properly, so I had to change the zoom manually to fit the screen, which wasn't necessary with OMXplayer.

I also had a lot of problems skipping, with the picture freezing for a long time whilst the audio continued. It seemed to be mostly an issue with skipping backwards and I eventually unfroze it by skipping forward, so I'm not sure if it would have ever sorted itself out otherwise. Mind you, I'd tried to play the same file with OMXplayer and that resulted in XBMC restarting after I tried to skip, which is what prompted me to try DVDplayer, so perhaps there's some corruption in the file that neither can cope with but hopefully they can be made more fault-tolerant in future.

Lastly, there seems to be no way to enable Deinterlace with DVDplayer, so the picture looked a lot worse with lots of jaggies than with OMXplayer.
I've noticed the RPi output seems unusually dark.

I've calibrated my new TV using the inbuilt USB file player and that results in a brightness setting of +2-3, which is what most other people on the owners forum are using.

When I switch to the RPi/XBMC however, I need to set it to at least +13, maybe even +24 to calibrate to the same black level.

Anyone else noticed this?
(2014-01-28, 13:22)doveman2 Wrote: I've noticed the RPi output seems unusually dark.

I've calibrated my new TV using the inbuilt USB file player and that results in a brightness setting of +2-3, which is what most other people on the owners forum are using.

When I switch to the RPi/XBMC however, I need to set it to at least +13, maybe even +24 to calibrate to the same black level.

I been having that same impression watching darker scenes looked to dark for me, I compensated with my TV but I haven't giving it some extra thought if this was my observation or no.
(2014-01-28, 11:34)delinend Wrote: The jumping problem, is ONLY on my Samsung 51" screen. Not on my new LG 32".

It does sound possible that the Samsung is not handling 1080p25 correctly.
I've certainly driven 1080p25 on many displays from Pi without problems.

Do you have any other devices that drives 1080p25?
Are there any processing options (motion smoothing/sharpness etc) that you can disable on Samsung?
A different cable or the config_hdmi_boost option could help.

If you really want a solution, you can dump the edid (tvservice -d edid.dat) and use an edid editor (on pc) to remove 1080p25 from the list of modes supported.
Then put edid.dat on boot partition and add hdmi_edid_file=1 to use the file in preference to the TV's edid.
You will now find that auto switching chooses 1080p50.
(2014-01-28, 14:03)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 11:34)delinend Wrote: The jumping problem, is ONLY on my Samsung 51" screen. Not on my new LG 32".

It does sound possible that the Samsung is not handling 1080p25 correctly.
I've certainly driven 1080p25 on many displays from Pi without problems.

Do you have any other devices that drives 1080p25?
Are there any processing options (motion smoothing/sharpness etc) that you can disable on Samsung?
A different cable or the config_hdmi_boost option could help.

If you really want a solution, you can dump the edid (tvservice -d edid.dat) and use an edid editor (on pc) to remove 1080p25 from the list of modes supported.
Then put edid.dat on boot partition and add hdmi_edid_file=1 to use the file in preference to the TV's edid.
You will now find that auto switching chooses 1080p50.

Thanks.

I have tryed other HDMI cabels, disabled all DNI, and other image funktions on the TV, but no luke.
If I connect a PC, and make a setup to 1920x108p25, the screen is not jumping.
Tryet another RPI, with same Gotham build, and the jumping frequency is a littel slower ?!?

If I set the "System"->"Video output"->"Refresh Rate"=25.00 then the XBMC menu is jumping. So not only Playback. If I press a TV menu on the screen, then the TV-menu is NOT jumping, only the XBMC menu in the back.

On my LG 32", there is no problem at all.

Frodo has no problems, as it make the 25p movie going to 50p on the screen.

I think Gotham has mixup the differency of "Frame rate" and "Refresh rate".
For a PAL 25p movie, the "Refresh rate" should be 50p, and not 25p in the Gotham build. Frodo is doing it right, to change it to 50p

Here from: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIA...g_Playback

Name......... Frame rate(s)....... Refresh rate

CINEMA......23.976...................23
CINEMA24...24........................24
PAL............25.........................50
PALHD........50.........................50

Best regards
(2014-01-28, 13:57)TBCdevil Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 13:22)doveman2 Wrote: I've noticed the RPi output seems unusually dark.

I been having that same impression watching darker scenes looked to dark for me, I compensated with my TV but I haven't giving it some extra thought if this was my observation or no.
the TVs picture settings are often by input. Try swapping had I ports with another device.

Regarding auto switching, I have noticed something odd. On 30 Fps media, when video on the pi is set to 60, my tv reports that it is switching to 30. If I switch video on the pi to 30, however, the tv reports that it is switching to 60. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Re: EDL, popcornmix's pr yesterday has fixed the issue for mythtv. Thanks very much.
(2014-01-28, 14:50)delinend Wrote: I think Gotham has mixup the differency of "Frame rate" and "Refresh rate".
For a PAL 25p movie, the "Refresh rate" should be 50p, and not 25p in the Gotham build. Frodo is doing it right, to change it to 50p

There's no reason not to use 25p for 25fps progressive video.
Just as it's correct to use 24p for 24fps progressive video.
(2014-01-28, 15:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 14:50)delinend Wrote: I think Gotham has mixup the differency of "Frame rate" and "Refresh rate".

There's no reason not to use 25p for 25fps progressive video.
Just as it's correct to use 24p for 24fps progressive video.

Yes. You are right. The is no reason not to use 25p on PAL movies.

But allmose all player devices.. WestonDigital TV Player, PS3, Blueray devices ect. are switching to 50p on the screen, when playing PAL25p. Also Frodo :-)
On many devices, it's not posible to select 25p. Only 24p, 30p, 50p and 60p.

But if I play a 24p movie (in Cine24p), on many devices, the screen is switching to 24p on the screen.

Some is calling this a Cine-like mode, to change the Refresh-rate (not the Frame-rate) to 50p.
So I still mean, that Gotham is doing somthing wrong, when it's only change PAL25p to 25p on the screen.

That my Samsung has a jumping problem with a RPI on 1920x1080p25, is another problem. I think it has someting to do, with some HDMI resolution timing/puls on the RPI build..

Best regards
First of all, I can't believe how much openelec is awesome on raspberry pi, I follow this thread and great things happen every day !

Now for my little bug Smile

I started using my rpi and MilHouse's builds to listen to music. While using PAPlayer, the music is not as loud as if I was watching a movie and the audio cuts out every few seconds (I am guessing too much cpu usage for something...). If I use dvdplayer, the music plays fine but at a low volume. If I use omxplayer, no music at all.

Is this a new-known problem that :
1 - the volume is not very loud ?
2 - paplayer skips part of the song ?

I am using passthrough hdmi (confirmed working with movies with the config.txt settings) and my audio settings are :
Output audio device : hdmi
number of channels : 2
output conifugratio : best match
stereo upmix : no
normalize levels on downmix : yes
resample quality : medium
enable passtrhough : yes (ac-3; dts)

Any thoughts ?
  • 175(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223