• 202(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
I'm having trouble playing some avi files. With DVDPlayer, they're extremely jerky and the stats show lots of dropped frames. CPU is only about 50% though, so I don't think they're being decoded by that.

With OMXplayer, they're not so bad but still noticeably jerky and only barely watchable.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=133338

MediaInfo shows:

Code:
General #0
Complete name                : D:\Media\Series\Lilyhammer\S2\Lilyhammer 2x03 - Fiddler's Green.avi
Format                       : AVI
Format/Info                  : Audio Video Interleave
Format/Family                : RIFF
File size                    : 346 MiB
PlayTime                     : 44mn 28s
Bit rate                     : 1087 Kbps
StreamSize/String            : 3.90 MiB
Writing application          : MEncoder SVN-r30881(20100311-gcc4.3.3)
Writing library              : MPlayer

Video #0
Codec                        : XviD
Codec/Family                 : MPEG-4V
Codec/Info                   : XviD project
Codec profile                : Streaming Video Profile/Level 1
Codec settings, Packet bitst : No
Codec settings, BVOP         : Yes
Codec settings, QPel         : No
Codec settings, GMC          : 0
Codec settings, Matrix       : Default
Bit rate                     : 947 Kbps
Width                        : 640 pixels
Height                       : 480 pixels
Display Aspect ratio         : 4/3
Frame rate                   : 25.000 fps
Resolution                   : 8 bits
Chroma                       : 4:2:0
Interlacement                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)           : 0.123
StreamSize/String            : 301 MiB
Writing library              : XviD0050

Audio #0
Codec                        : MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
Codec profile                : Joint stereo
Bit rate mode                : CBR
Bit rate                     : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                   : 2 channels
Sampling rate                : 44.1 KHz
Resolution                   : 16 bits
StreamSize/String            : 40.7 MiB

by comparison, these type play fine, despite having a higher bitrate:

Code:
General #0
Complete name                : D:\Media\Series\Lilyhammer\S1\Lilyhammer 1x01 - Reality Check.avi
Format                       : AVI
Format/Info                  : Audio Video Interleave
Format/Family                : RIFF
File size                    : 525 MiB
PlayTime                     : 45mn 5s
Bit rate                     : 1629 Kbps
StreamSize/String            : 1.27 MiB
Writing application          : AVI-Mux GUI 1.17.8.3, Feb 16 201019:42:50

Video #0
Codec                        : XviD
Codec/Family                 : MPEG-4V
Codec/Info                   : XviD project
Codec profile                : Simple Profile/Level 3
Codec settings, Packet bitst : No
Codec settings, BVOP         : No
Codec settings, QPel         : No
Codec settings, GMC          : 0
Codec settings, Matrix       : Default
PlayTime                     : 45mn 5s
Bit rate                     : 1497 Kbps
Width                        : 720 pixels
Height                       : 400 pixels
Display Aspect ratio         : 16/9
Frame rate                   : 25.000 fps
Resolution                   : 8 bits
Chroma                       : 4:2:0
Interlacement                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)           : 0.208
StreamSize/String            : 483 MiB
Writing library              : XviD 1.1.2
Writing library/Date         : UTC 2006-11-01

Audio #0
Codec                        : MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
Codec profile                : Joint stereo
Bit rate mode                : CBR
Bit rate                     : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                   : 2 channels
Sampling rate                : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                   : 16 bits
StreamSize/String            : 41.3 MiB
Coherency/PlayTime           : 2705752
Gotham build: #0217

Audio only test:
With OMXPlayer
CD format playback is OK
DTS/AC3 playback have drop at the first 1/2 second then OK (even with <streamsilence>1</streamsilence> in advancedsettings.xml)

With PAPlayer and DVDPlayer
CD format playback is OK
DTS/AC3/MCH playback have center channel LF or so, RearL is out from center and RearR is out from RearL.

Quote:For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).
With passthrough and 2.0; outputs are downsized in 2.0
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
(2014-02-16, 14:49)MilhouseVH Wrote: New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0216

Is the systemd patch "systemd-03_user-hwdb.d.patch" included in this build ?

Edit: Nevermind I found what's wrong.
(2014-02-17, 23:19)doveman2 Wrote: I'm having trouble playing some avi files. With DVDPlayer, they're extremely jerky and the stats show lots of dropped frames. CPU is only about 50% though, so I don't think they're being decoded by that.

Could you try with latest build. A few dvdplayer bug have been fixed.
(2014-02-17, 23:43)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-17, 23:19)doveman2 Wrote: I'm having trouble playing some avi files. With DVDPlayer, they're extremely jerky and the stats show lots of dropped frames. CPU is only about 50% though, so I don't think they're being decoded by that.

Could you try with latest build. A few dvdplayer bug have been fixed.

Thanks but with build #217 I don't get any video at all with dvdplayer, it just stays on the GUI.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=133390

I've uploaded a 1min/10MB clip if you want to test it for yourself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89...sp=sharing
Latest build gets stuck in a boot loop at the xbmc splash (i think it keeps crashing). It goes through after it crashes about 10 times or so. Also my wifi adapter, EDIMAX EW-7811Un doesn't connect consistently, but it's been that way for the last few builds and just needs a reboot.
(2014-02-18, 00:14)doveman2 Wrote: Thanks but with build #217 I don't get any video at all with dvdplayer, it just stays on the GUI.

That's fixed in the next version...
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...103de4e200
(2014-02-18, 00:18)popcornmix Wrote: That's fixed in the next version...

I'm on it! Smile

@everyone - forget downloading #0217, #0217b will be along very shortly....
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-02-17, 22:49)00b5 Wrote: My only other question is how to properly update from OE 3.2.4 (which i got as an img, and used windows to img the SD card with it)?

I copied the 2 kernal & system files to the update folder via the samba share, but I think I should have included some of these 3rd party/bootloader files as well.

No, that's all you need to copy in order to update from OE 3.2.4 to Gotham - the firmware files are actually included inside the SYSTEM file and will be extracted during the update process.

Once you are on Gotham, updating becomes even easier - just copy the entire tar file into the Update folder and reboot the Pi once the copy is complete. OpenELEC will find the tar file, extract the target files then continue with the normal update process.

(2014-02-17, 22:49)00b5 Wrote: That, as well as some pi specific stuff like enabling OC'ing?

There's another thread in this sub-forum discussing overclocking.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0217c
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.3 #1 PREEMPT Mon Feb 17 20:23:39 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Feb 17 2014 21:35:01
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version f5c67bfc77e918b2c89a130bd2682dcab5903490 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140217235854-r17722-gfd78503

Based on tip of XBMC master (282fc49, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (fd78503, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for a3d263c which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC
Build Highlights:
  1. newclock3: Fix for files with no valid pts values - should fix AVI's which have no video playback when using DVDPlayer, also fixes audio sync with packed video
  2. Firmware: Updated 17 Feb build.
    • Fix for intermittent audio failures with hdmi passsthrough
    • Fix for hdmi audio crackles when sync video to display is enabled
  3. OpenELEC: "ffmpeg mess" resolved, no need to revert ffmpeg commits now
  4. OpenELEC: Add BCM2708 DMA devices support
  5. newclock3 (updated in #0217c): Fix for xbmc.bin crashing after initial boot during DecodeJpegToTexture

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).
I've uploaded a new build to help test some experimental database optimisations that are being discussed in this thread.

I've run some initial tests and the performance improvement for JSON database updates is huge. To give an example, when updating imdb votes and ratings on three movies:

Code:
.         Argo      K-F Panda 2     Avatar
Before: 32.069271      5.011988   22.674556
After:   0.256215      0.670386    0.146922

All times are in seconds.

Performance improvements should be expected anywhere a JSON database update occurs, either in an addon (eg. Artwork Downloader) or a script (texturecache,py).

Since these are experimental database changes I'm not including the changes in my normal builds but due to the significant improvement in performance I wanted to make a build available for anyone willing to help test, albeit at your own risk (take a backup of your MySQL/SQLite MyVideos* databases etc.)

The build can be downloaded here: #0217xp. It's basically #0217c plus the patches discussed in the above thread.

If/when the changes are proven to be safe/reliable/stable, and assuming there is a high probability of the changes being accepted into XBMC master, I'll include them in future "regular" builds. Issues/problems should be posted in the above linked thread.

Edit: Updated the experimental build to include crash-fix patch also added to #0217c
Hello,

video playback with dvdplayer works, great!
But using omxplayer, my videos don't play. They just start in the 8th second and stuck there while the screen is black. After fast-forward some seconds everything works as expected.
The files I talk about are xvid in .avi
I've updated the most recent build to #0217c to include the fix for a potential crash bug when starting xbmc.bin. The experimental build has also been updated to include the same fix. That's hopefully it for today... Smile
(2014-02-18, 02:36)MilhouseVH Wrote: I've updated the most recent build to #0217c to include the fix for a potential crash bug when starting xbmc.bin. The experimental build has also been updated to include the same fix. That's hopefully it for today... Smile

Was this crash related to bootloop while on XBMC logo? Mine sometimes bootloops 2-3 times or more and then boots normally.
I was in #0217b
(2014-02-18, 00:18)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-18, 00:14)doveman2 Wrote: Thanks but with build #217 I don't get any video at all with dvdplayer, it just stays on the GUI.

That's fixed in the next version...

Build 217b was better and I can now play the video with DVDPlayer and the stats aren't showing any dropped frames anymore. However, It's still very jerky like frames are being skipped from time to time but probably no worse than with omxplayer. Playing it with MPC-HC on my PC, it might be doing the same so maybe it's just badly encoded but it's harder to tell on the PC and also it's 25fps and my monitor's running at 60hz, so I'd expect some jerkiness there.

If I try and skip or ffwd it with DVDPlayer, the picture gets stuck whilst the audio continues, which doesn't happen with omxplayer. With omxplayer, I found that ffwding up to 4x was fine but at 8x the picture froze but then at 16x or 32x it was OK again, so it was just at 8x that there is a problem for some reason.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=133473
  • 202(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223