• 251(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-03-27, 13:39)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-27, 13:30)Stilt Wrote: First. massive thank you to MilhouseVH and all others for great work.

I did a clean install devel-20140326031537-r18011-gae1cb22.

I have a 10$ PCM2704 USB DAC, headphone connection to my amp. DAC works fine on Win8 PC.

Sample music is stored on the SD card itself-to eliminate wifi issues if any.

I've selected System>settings>systemlevel>expert>audio output>ALSA:USB Audio DAC,Analog

When I use the DAC on RP:

1) Sounds is only from one channel (Right channel)

2) RP reboots after every song.

Please use xbmclogs.com for logs and paste a link to them.

The post above this reports:
Quote:Fix for mono GUI sounds (requires new firmware)

so that is needed for point 1. For 2, can you remove the USB card and test with default analogue or HDMI? Does that still reboot?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think Log is uploaded to :http://sprunge.us/JQIE

OpenELEC:/ # uname -a
Linux OpenELEC 3.13.7 #1 PREEMPT Wed Mar 26 02:50:23 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
OpenELEC:/ # vcgencmd version
Mar 25 2014 15:17:24
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 34a027868674ccc896149263215e91718770698f (clean) (release)
OpenELEC:/ # lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140326031537-r18011-gae1cb22

Here is the behavior:
HDMI Audio - No restarts between songs - continues to play the whole list -Stereo
USB DAC Audio- Mono output, RP restarts after every song
(2014-03-28, 15:43)Stilt Wrote: I think Log is uploaded to :http://sprunge.us/JQIE

The log doesn't have USB ALSA card connected.
Debug logging (in settings/system/debugging) is not enabled.
(2014-03-27, 23:01)MilhouseVH Wrote: Nope, nothing - the update procedure takes care of the firmware too (as long as your boot= partition is the SD card, ie. /dev/mmcblk0p1).

I did: GUI>System>Updates>Check for updates now. I'm not sure it did the job.

Before:
OpenELEC:/ # lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140326031537-r18011-gae1cb22

After:
OpenELEC:/ #

so i did a fresh install
everthing looks good now
Quote: GUI>System>Updates>Check for updates now
This does not update these test builds. Manually install by downloading update from link in milhouse's post, copying to "Updates" folder and rebooting.
(2014-03-27, 01:44)MilhouseVH Wrote: OpenELEC will only load SYSTEM into RAM if there is at least 364MB of physical RAM available. 512 - 364 => 148, give or take a few megabytes, so set a maximum of 128 for GPU if you want SYSTEM loaded into RAM. The RAM storage will consume 115-120MB of physical RAM (a figure that is slowly but surely increasing), leaving you with approximately the same physical free RAM as a 256/256 split, and an imperceptible performance difference.

IMHO loading SYSTEM into RAM is not worth it as in many ways it leaves you worse off with reduced free RAM and/or gpu_mem, and the supposed performance gain of having SYSTEM in RAM is very slight, if it is noticeable at all (I can't tell any difference).

My advice is gpu_mem=128 in config.txt (or 180+ if using high resolution image/fanart in advancedsettings.xml), with "noram" added in cmdline.txt to prevent SYSTEM being loaded into RAM, even when there is enough free RAM available. This should ensure there is far more free RAM available to XBMC and Linux for things like buffering and avoiding out of memory situations.
Good to know. I tried 128 and didn't notice a performance difference with the OS loaded into RAM. Changed to 192 w/ noram as per your suggestion (all my *res settings are 720), more RAM for the system/artwork is always a good thing. Thanks!
(2014-03-27, 01:44)MilhouseVH Wrote: … and the supposed performance gain of having SYSTEM in RAM is very slight, if it is noticeable at all (I can't tell any difference).
Would that not depend on how fast your SD card is?
(2014-03-28, 18:19)allan87 Wrote:
(2014-03-27, 01:44)MilhouseVH Wrote: … and the supposed performance gain of having SYSTEM in RAM is very slight, if it is noticeable at all (I can't tell any difference).
Would that not depend on how fast your SD card is?

Yes, but there is already a file cache for recently accessed files, and this file cache is more effective with more free RAM, so the difference may be small.
But the only way to answer this is to try it. Measure boot up time. Measure time to navigate to a certain window. Measure time to open a certain display or add-on. Can you tell the difference?
First of all a big thanks to MilhouseVH and others for all the hard work. Very much appreciated!

I just did an upgrade to the recent Milhouse-20140327012712-r18014-gfacbb1c from my previous build devel-20140116132027-r17009-gd6c28f3 from mid Januari. When playing 16bit flac files I noticed that they don't play gapless anymore. Between songs you can hear a slight plopping sound following by a very short hickup 2-3 seconds into the new song. The build from mid Jan played gapless flawlessly. I'm using HDMI. Any suggestions on what could be the cause? Are there any additional settings I need to change?
(2014-03-28, 15:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-28, 15:43)Stilt Wrote: I think Log is uploaded to :http://sprunge.us/JQIE

The log doesn't have USB ALSA card connected.
Debug logging (in settings/system/debugging) is not enabled.

Please check the new log. http://sprunge.us/OUdg
(2014-03-28, 13:01)Trickname Wrote: http://pastebin.com/7XpXidA9

Just an FYI - you can remove most of the stuff in your advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
11:58:51  49.973907 T:3058095104  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
                                            <advancedsettings>
                                              <destroywindowcontrols>false</destroywindowcontrols>
                                              <fanartres>540</fanartres>
                                              <imageres>256</imageres>
                                              <bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
                                              <video>
                                                <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
                                                <defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
                                              </video>
                                              <audio>
                                                <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
                                                <streamsilence>false</streamsilence>
                                              </audio>
                                              <network>
                                                <cachemembuffersize>2621440</cachemembuffersize>
                                                <alwaysforcebuffer>0</alwaysforcebuffer>
                                                <limitcacherate>false</limitcacherate>
                                                <curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
                                              </network>
                                              <lookandfeel>
                                                <guires>720</guires>
                                              </lookandfeel>
                                              <samba>
                                                <clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
                                              </samba>
                                            </advancedsettings>

You don't need the <video>, <audio>, <lookandfeel> or <samba> sections. Your <audio> setting is going to screw up music playback. <lookandfeel> may cause problems with the GUI, or it may be harmlessly ignored.

Most of your <network> settings could also go (several are no longer supported). See here for details. You're also setting a cache buffer size which is just a fraction of the default (2.6MB vs. 20MB).

<bginfoloadermaxthreads> is no longer supported.

"false" is already the default value for <destroywindowcontrols>.

I would change your advancedsettings.xml to be the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
  <fanartres>540</fanartres>
  <imageres>256</imageres>
</advancedsettings>

as all the other settings you have are either garbage, already the default, or likely to cause problems by conflicting badly with the recommended system defaults.

As for the crashing, is it always happening at the same point (GUI sound resampling)? Anything in dmesg or "journalctl --no-pager"?

(2014-03-28, 22:06)Hypertown Wrote: I just did an upgrade to the recent Milhouse-20140327012712-r18014-gfacbb1c from my previous build devel-20140116132027-r17009-gd6c28f3 from mid Januari. When playing 16bit flac files I noticed that they don't play gapless anymore. Between songs you can hear a slight plopping sound following by a very short hickup 2-3 seconds into the new song. The build from mid Jan played gapless flawlessly. I'm using HDMI. Any suggestions on what could be the cause? Are there any additional settings I need to change?

And you're definitely using paplayer for music (not omxplayer)? I've absolutely no gapless playback problems with 16-bit FLAC files via HDMI. What are your current audio settings?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0329
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.7 #1 PREEMPT Sat Mar 29 03:09:15 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 27 2014 00:49:27
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 1f1006ba048099fab5c8138538619edc042c8e7a (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140329032009-r18037-g45b1f5d

Based on tip of XBMC master (12d7827, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (45b1f5d, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for f0a6106 which I've replaced with a static spinner to avoid hammering the GUI)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. Replace "import re" with "import regex as re" in addons to test effectiveness.
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • Includes newclock3: "More efficient infobool expression evaluator" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
  • Includes newclock3: "Allow small audio packets to be concatenated to make better use of audio fifo" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
Build Highlights:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • Revert "projects/*: enable in-kernel RTL8192CU driver"
  2. XBMC:
    • PR4475 from popcornmix
    • [gui] fix crash if an info expression (with square brackets) wasn't correctly closed off by a skin.
    • [music] content type wasn't set in a bunch of cases. fixes #14915, fixes #15057

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

3. The FIQ_FSM patch is now enabled by default in OpenELEC master. See the FIQ_FSM announce thread for details.

One new feature, currently disabled by default, is accelerated support of high-speed isochronous transactions (webcams, real time devices, etc.). There's a possibility this could be used by ALSA or DVB modules (although not always) which may affect some users (hopefully for the better). If you might benefit from this, enable by adding the following option to the end of the line in your /flash/cmdline.txt file:
    Code:
    dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-03-27, 19:10)SenorLoco Wrote: For a long time I was using OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Rbej-Version-Gotham-Popcornmix-Branch(09.10.2013) which I never had any problems with and just recently started trying your test builds again over the last couple weeks. I have noticed the wifi dropping out since trying to test builds, but haven't had a ton of time to work on it. Build 323 worked fine for loading wifi after reboot, I skipped 325 and just noticed wifi not connecting on boot up on 327.
\

See if build #0329 is any better - the change for the RTL8192CU driver has been reverted.
(2014-03-28, 17:47)allan87 Wrote:
Quote: GUI>System>Updates>Check for updates now
This does not update these test builds. Manually install by downloading update from link in milhouse's post, copying to "Updates" folder and rebooting.

Ok that explains it. Kind of lost to see where the FW link is.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...6&page=249
Build Highlights:

Fix for mono GUI sounds (requires new firmware) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<This might help me>>>>>>>>>>>>>
New Firmware Mar 27:
kernel: Add CONFIG_VETH for virtual ethernet devices. See: raspberrypi/linux#550
kernel: V4L2: Add manual white balance control
firmware: audio_mixer: Fix bug that loses second channel with 8-bit input. See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1664162
firmware: MMAL: Add parameter to enable SEI on the encoder. See: raspberrypi/userland#144
firmware: MMAL: Correct rounding for EV steps See: raspberrypi/userland#34
firmware: camera: Correct EXIF handling to always update. See: raspberrypi/userland#83
newclock3:
[PiSink] Analogue only supports stereo
[PiResample] Work around AE not providing correct src_bits
(2014-03-29, 08:29)Stilt Wrote: Ok that explains it. Kind of lost to see where the FW link is.

There is no firmware link as the firmware is included in the tar file. The download link to the tar file is the first link in each release post. Drop the downloaded tar file in your Update folder and reboot to upgrade (assuming you're already using a Gotham-based OpenELEC build).
  • 251(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223