• 52(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
sorry but i have no idea... could you explain me why I have to prefer the G1840 respect to j2900?
I was focused to bay trail-d due to their low power consumption and because these systems are fanless
They have only Low Power Consumption because they are much slower than G1840 at Full Load, at
Idle and normal Load they should be similar: http://goo.gl/TfG83D
| myHTPC |
(2015-01-04, 01:12)_mac Wrote: sorry but i have no idea... could you explain me why I have to prefer the G1840 respect to j2900?
I was focused to bay trail-d due to their low power consumption and because these systems are fanless

Baytrail GPU is significantly less powerful for Kodi purposes than Haswell. Haswell better for de-interlacing and scaling. (You'll get Motion Compensated VAAPI deinterlacing and Lanczos 3 scaling with Haswell GPU)
In theory (and this is something many people mix with the reality), we can also get lanczso3 upscaling (via vpp) + Motion adapative deinterlacing (vpp).

But for this to happen, wenn need
a) Completely rewrite our VAAPI implementation to use EGL within X11. This would give us the possibility to not use the vaPutSurface infrastructure, skip the full rgb conversion and so on
b) Make intel fix their vaapi driver for IVB+BYT, which did not yet happen.

And until this happens, most likely skylake chips with much more power are already available ...

I have stopped buying the latest and greatest and just buy (for personal use) what currently does the job, that I want and the baytrail is currently not there yet and until it is there, it's obsolete :-)

If you only want to watch bluray rips (1080p24) with bitstream audio - it will do the job brilliantly. It can also decode 4K h264 ... but nothing else.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanks for your feedbacks Wink
Now I have some points to think over
Has anyone tried a device such as http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X7-W...39668.html price seems great compared to building a whole system based on baytrail..
Gendo - these Baytrail mini-pc devices have only just become available but it appears there are a lot of them in the pipeline. I have ordered one of the Pipo X7 units but it will take a while getting to me here in the UK. In the meantime, I haven't found any tests of the X7, but there is a thread or two about it over on the Freaktab forum where at least one guy has now got hold of one for testing.

My hope is to run the X7 in dual boot, booting (a) to the installed Windows to run Kodi and powerdvd as an external player to support 3D iso, and (b) booting to Openelec on a USB drive for non-3D playback.

Can anyone confirm that the 3736F chip can do 3D MVC playback under Windows? I am assuming it can, but haven't been able to see this confirmed anywhere.
There were reports of some of the Baytrail tablet processors not doing HD Audio bitstreaming. Not sure if this was a hardware limitation, driver limitation or grey area (i.e. no HDCP support means no Windows HD Audio but could mean Linux?)
Hi, Someone asked about h265 playing on Bay Trail. So ... I downloaded some samples from http://cinemartin.com/cinec/hoid/samples/ and there was
no issue with full HD playing, despite using ff-hevc software decoding, and cpu usage was about 20-40%.

Motherboard ASRock Q1900-ITX , 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 14.10 with the newest Kodi
(2015-01-05, 12:07)malcolmbarr Wrote: Gendo - these Baytrail mini-pc devices have only just become available but it appears there are a lot of them in the pipeline. I have ordered one of the Pipo X7 units but it will take a while getting to me here in the UK. In the meantime, I haven't found any tests of the X7, but there is a thread or two about it over on the Freaktab forum where at least one guy has now got hold of one for testing.

My hope is to run the X7 in dual boot, booting (a) to the installed Windows to run Kodi and powerdvd as an external player to support 3D iso, and (b) booting to Openelec on a USB drive for non-3D playback.

Can anyone confirm that the 3736F chip can do 3D MVC playback under Windows? I am assuming it can, but haven't been able to see this confirmed anywhere.
One of the guys on FreakTab has got the Pipo X7 and has been reviewing it here, have you received yours yet Malcolm?

(2015-01-05, 13:37)noggin Wrote: There were reports of some of the Baytrail tablet processors not doing HD Audio bitstreaming. Not sure if this was a hardware limitation, driver limitation or grey area (i.e. no HDCP support means no Windows HD Audio but could mean Linux?)

I don't know if it applies to all devices but going by this thread on here (post #19) there shouldn't be a problem with HD Audio bitstreaming on this chip.
(2015-01-09, 09:46)Chris P Bacon Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 12:07)malcolmbarr Wrote: Gendo - these Baytrail mini-pc devices have only just become available but it appears there are a lot of them in the pipeline. I have ordered one of the Pipo X7 units but it will take a while getting to me here in the UK. In the meantime, I haven't found any tests of the X7, but there is a thread or two about it over on the Freaktab forum where at least one guy has now got hold of one for testing.

One of the guys on FreakTab has got the Pipo X7 and has been reviewing it here, have you received yours yet Malcolm?

(2015-01-05, 13:37)noggin Wrote: There were reports of some of the Baytrail tablet processors not doing HD Audio bitstreaming. Not sure if this was a hardware limitation, driver limitation or grey area (i.e. no HDCP support means no Windows HD Audio but could mean Linux?)

I don't know if it applies to all devices but going by this thread on here (post #19) there shouldn't be a problem with HD Audio bitstreaming on this chip.

Post 19 on that link shows it wont do HD audio in Windows which is a shame, I hope I can get openelec on my PIPO x7 (when it turns up) and it will do HD audio then. I think it may have problems getting openelec onto this device though as it has a 32 bit UEFI BIOS from the early reviews ive seen.
(2015-01-09, 10:37)goujam Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 09:46)Chris P Bacon Wrote:

Post 19 on that link shows it wont do HD audio in Windows which is a shame, I hope I can get openelec on my PIPO x7 (when it turns up) and it will do HD audio then. I think it may have problems getting openelec onto this device though as it has a 32 bit UEFI BIOS from the early reviews ive seen.
My bad, but if I buy this box what surround sound will I get over HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-828-K 7.1 amp?
@ Chris P Bacon Hopefully you will get dts and Dolby Digital through windows. It would be great if we can get hd audio though, hopefully in a few weeks when people actually get hold of the PIPO x7 we will see. Ideally a dual boot option with windows and openelec would be good I think in OPENELEC or in other linux based versions of KODI HD audio maybe possible.
(2015-01-09, 11:21)goujam Wrote: @ Chris P Bacon Hopefully you will get dts and Dolby Digital through windows. It would be great if we can get hd audio though, hopefully in a few weeks when people actually get hold of the PIPO x7 we will see. Ideally a dual boot option with windows and openelec would be good I think in OPENELEC or in other linux based versions of KODI HD audio maybe possible.
Thanks for your reply, I will wait for some proper reviews, The guy on Freak Tab that I linked above isn't focused on HTPC use. But I would be content with having Dolby Digital/DTS.
(2015-01-09, 11:30)Chris P Bacon Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 11:21)goujam Wrote: @ Chris P Bacon Hopefully you will get dts and Dolby Digital through windows. It would be great if we can get hd audio though, hopefully in a few weeks when people actually get hold of the PIPO x7 we will see. Ideally a dual boot option with windows and openelec would be good I think in OPENELEC or in other linux based versions of KODI HD audio maybe possible.
Thanks for your reply, I will wait for some proper reviews, The guy on Freak Tab that I linked above isn't focused on HTPC use. But I would be content with having Dolby Digital/DTS.

Yes Ive been keeping an eye on his review he now has videos showing performace which seems good. Im looking at the PIPO x7 to replace my D525 ION2 board which currently does HD audio, so it wont be replacing just yet if it cant do HD audio. Once I recieve it ill be trying it all out and hope someone gets a linux distro on it. I have seen someone from PIPO say it runs openelec but Im yet to see proof of this, I would happily run openelec from USB then boot from the internal eMMC for windows.
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8