• 17(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
Heya,
I'm planning on getting ASRock Q1900DC-ITX ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/ ) Bay-Trail mobo once it comes out (should be coming out on May 16th in Japan, hopefully other countries will follow soon) and I'm wondering, how is the HDMI audio passthrough on these things? Can they do proper Dolby/DTS HDMI audio passthrough? These mobos seem to be perfect solution for a small home all rounder multimedia PC with decent video decoding capabilities (XBMC, 1080p etc), torrent daemon, NAS and even possibly a WIFI routing. The quad core version should have more than enough processing power for all of this.
All things being equal (no software bugs) there's no reason with the Intel HD GPU these can't passthrough Dolby True-HD and DTS Master Audio over HDMI. All Intel and AMD hardware since Clarksdale and Llano is capable of it, the exceptions being the Pentium G6950 (1st gen) and the Clovertrail and earlier Atom platforms.

[Edit] That being said, the devil is always in the details and you should never believe everything you read on the internet Smile. I just tried hooking my Q1900B-ITX Windows 7 x64 HTPC up to my livingroom AVR/TV and the sound properties do not show Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio as supported formats. I just get DTS trying Star Trek: Into Darkness. The same AVR/TV hooked up to my main livingroom HTPC shows those formats as available and I get DTS Master Audio playing the same file. I tried both one after the other just switching the HDMI cable back and forth. I did some rebooting and power-cycling too to no avail.

No idea if this is a GPU limitation or Intel driver issue. I would guess the latter. I am using the latest from the Intel site.
Here are my Kill-a-Watt readings:

Off: 1.4W
Desktop: 9.1W
Movie: 12.3W (1080p MKV in WMC via server)
Prime95: 14.9W (large FFTs 4 threads) CPU @ 59C after 15min

IWill S197-H55 case (no fans)
ASRock Q1900B-ITX
4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 1.5V SO-DIMM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
picoPSU-90 with 12V/5A 60W AC adapter
Logitech K400
Wired ethernet
HDMI connection to Dell monitor
Pretty much W for a PC with a PicoPSU in idle.
You can reach 6W with an Haswell which is much more powerful.
| myHTPC |
(2014-05-07, 20:16)MediaPi Wrote: http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/biost...09622.html

its €47,29 which works out as £38.80 plus paypals 2-3%. I've sent them an email to ask about shipping cost to UK. I'm hoping it will be like £6 so that puts it at £45 so £5 cheaper than Gigabyte J1800-D2H. If the difference is less than £5 I might just stick with the other board since they are readably available in UK. and no have to worry about shipping it back if something goes wrong

Thanks for the RAM. will the cheap ebay one work then?

I don't think so. I believe it takes DDR3L ram which is the low voltage type 1.35 instead if 1.5v. You can get 2gb for about £15. Let me know me what the company says regarding shipping. Also any one know why the gigabyte quad version, j1900 does not come with hdmi. What would you for for sound?
(2014-05-09, 07:22)-DDD- Wrote: Pretty much W for a PC with a PicoPSU in idle.
And much more expensive.
I have a not-HTPC equipped with an Athlon X2 245 2.9GHz using the integrated graphics Radeon 3000.
It is enought for my needs (watching DVB-T live tv and some movies 1080p, 720p but also MD...on a 27" LCD panel).

Reading this thread I were scared by the messages saying the J1900 in not enough for playing full hd movies, but alfter re-reading the entire thread it seems the only problem on upscaling. Am I correct? If so, I would bought an Asrock Q1900B-ITX.

In other words, going from a Radeon 3000 http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-3000-IGP to a bay trail is an upgrade or not? I'm not an expert, I saw the shaders of the Radeon are 40, and the bay trail has only 4EU (so, 32 shaders, right?)....

Thanks.
(2014-05-07, 18:44)Raudi Wrote: I don't think so. I believe it takes DDR3L ram which is the low voltage type 1.35 instead if 1.5v. You can get 2gb for about £15. Let me know me what the company says regarding shipping. Also any one know why the gigabyte quad version, j1900 does not come with hdmi. What would you for for sound?

from Gigabyte website
2 x DDR3/-L SO-DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory

that means DDR3 or DDR3L. So I believe it will work. The company have not got back to me. I think the UK one is not far from the price so I'm happy to go with the Gigabyte one. To be honest I'm happy I learnt what the coments I need are but I will stick with my Rpi for now. The hardware is advancing and going down in price at a blistering pace. for my needs I'll wait till I can get everything for £50. Smile
(2014-05-09, 09:58)aventrax Wrote: I have a not-HTPC equipped with an Athlon X2 245 2.9GHz using the integrated graphics Radeon 3000.
It is enought for my needs (watching DVB-T live tv and some movies 1080p, 720p but also MD...on a 27" LCD panel).

Reading this thread I were scared by the messages saying the J1900 in not enough for playing full hd movies, but alfter re-reading the entire thread it seems the only problem on upscaling. Am I correct? If so, I would bought an Asrock Q1900B-ITX.

In other words, going from a Radeon 3000 http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-3000-IGP to a bay trail is an upgrade or not? I'm not an expert, I saw the shaders of the Radeon are 40, and the bay trail has only 4EU (so, 32 shaders, right?)....

Thanks.

Scaling is not an issue. Quality scaling is a problem. It's more intensive on the GPU, and ours is not powerfull enough. My HD movies are all played fine, without any special configuration. But as someone stated above, upscaling 720p to 1080p is not a problem. even the most basic upscaling will do a fine job for this. the problem is when you upscale SD content (like DVD) and interlaced things. For this, you need a good upscaler. Note that a lot of receivers will do a fine job with this, too.
Thanks! I'm already waiting my J1900! :>

It's a great choice for me, it also has enough power to keep running a couple of virtual machines for pfSense and VOIP server! Yeah!

I hope there wont be any problems to keep the Q1900B-ITX running 24/7...
Ok, so based on availability and price I'm leaning towards getting an Asrock D1800B-ITX.
Can anyone that has this board confirm that the board is able to wake from sleep using Wake on USB?
(I want to be able to wake the system using my Harmony remote through the USB-IR receiver i have. The IR-receiver just sends a keyboard press over USB.)
(2014-05-09, 09:46)Mark142 Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 20:16)MediaPi Wrote: http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/biost...09622.html

its €47,29 which works out as £38.80 plus paypals 2-3%. I've sent them an email to ask about shipping cost to UK. I'm hoping it will be like £6 so that puts it at £45 so £5 cheaper than Gigabyte J1800-D2H. If the difference is less than £5 I might just stick with the other board since they are readably available in UK. and no have to worry about shipping it back if something goes wrong

Thanks for the RAM. will the cheap ebay one work then?

I don't think so. I believe it takes DDR3L ram which is the low voltage type 1.35 instead if 1.5v. You can get 2gb for about £15. Let me know me what the company says regarding shipping. Also any one know why the gigabyte quad version, j1900 does not come with hdmi. What would you for for sound?

Just randomly looking at Gigabyte J1800-D2H on google. checked Amazon and blow me away
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-J180...J1800N-D2H

selling for £46.70 ($78.90 after tax) Just placed an order. its from amazon eu but thats a few days more delivery. best thing its from amazon so if anything goes wrong your safe.
(2014-05-08, 23:52)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All things being equal (no software bugs) there's no reason with the Intel HD GPU these can't passthrough Dolby True-HD and DTS Master Audio over HDMI. All Intel and AMD hardware since Clarksdale and Llano is capable of it, the exceptions being the Pentium G6950 (1st gen) and the Clovertrail and earlier Atom platforms.

[Edit] That being said, the devil is always in the details and you should never believe everything you read on the internet Smile. I just tried hooking my Q1900B-ITX Windows 7 x64 HTPC up to my livingroom AVR/TV and the sound properties do not show Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio as supported formats. I just get DTS trying Star Trek: Into Darkness. The same AVR/TV hooked up to my main livingroom HTPC shows those formats as available and I get DTS Master Audio playing the same file. I tried both one after the other just switching the HDMI cable back and forth. I did some rebooting and power-cycling too to no avail.

No idea if this is a GPU limitation or Intel driver issue. I would guess the latter. I am using the latest from the Intel site.

Thats an interesting observation, thanks. Well then, lets say that HDMI passthrough is out for now. Any ideas how is it via TOSLINK (S/PDIF) then? My receiver has it and Q1900-ITX has an S/PDIF out. Wondering whether it supports or is it even possible for DTS/Dolby True HD via TOSLINK?
DTS, AC3 will work beatiful with spdif - but the dts-hd, truehd formats definitely not as they require 8 pcm channels, where as spdif only has 2 (as explained and told more than 2000 times in that forum). DTS, AC3 are virtual formats which are coded over just 2 pcm channels ... so if you plan to do stereo upmixing, it must be done with AC3 Transcode if you use spdif.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-09, 09:48)Aquarius Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 07:22)-DDD- Wrote: Pretty much W for a PC with a PicoPSU in idle.
And much more expensive.

Yes, 80 eur vs 56 eur
| myHTPC |
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8