• 22(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-04-28, 06:29)Veronica Wrote: From what i know Chrubuntu uses ChromeOS kernel so wifi, etc drivers work out of the box but don't know if you installed ubuntu without the script or what ehe
That was only the case in the early days of Chrubuntu. Now that the Chromebook and Chromebox have kernel support (for the x86 models) you can run a standard installation and kernel, and don't have to use the ChromeOS one. (The same may not be true of the ARM-based models).

More info here : http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.de/2013/10...-with.html
Is anyone else having issues using the shared mysql library using the openelec 3.95.6 version from the wiki? I see errors in my log that it can't connect to the mysql databases. It is using the same advancedsettings.xml file as my other systems and I can ssh into the chromebox and ping the mysql server, but for some reason it is not connecting.
(2014-04-29, 02:11)extension23 Wrote: Is anyone else having issues using the shared mysql library using the openelec 3.95.6 version from the wiki? I see errors in my log that it can't connect to the mysql databases. It is using the same advancedsettings.xml file as my other systems and I can ssh into the chromebox and ping the mysql server, but for some reason it is not connecting.

could be due to some slight differences between my build and the official 3.95.6 (my upcoming 3.95.7 build will not have any differences from the official except the bootloader). Since the new official 3.95.7 build includes my MCE remote fix, you should manually update to that (and your other boxes as well) and see if that fixes the issue.
(2014-04-28, 20:54)menno Wrote: Bluetooth needs to be enabled first in the services menu! (tip for others)! This makes a PS3 BD remote work out of the box!
I still had 1 reboot upon loading up a HD channel but it went well many times, so far I am happy.

oh wow, I didn't realize these had built-in bluetooth. I forgot I had a PS3 BD remote. And I just ordered that HP MCE ir receiver yesterday.Confused Got the bluetooth remote working great, and I got it programmed for my panasonic TV, which via HDMI control can adjust volume on my Yamaha A/V. Pretty much makes my Harmony remote unnecessary.

Matt, is there any discernible different from having a dual boot config of chromeOS and openelec vs. removing chrome and putting only openelec? Any benefits besides additional local disk space? Wondering if I should redo my setup.
Matt do you think the Chromebox is powerful enough to transcode 720p mkv using plex media server to one or two device?
for a non linux user - my goodness does those instructions look daunting and scary.

any chance for an automatic installer program?
(2014-04-29, 04:04)busbeepbeep Wrote: Matt, is there any discernible different from having a dual boot config of chromeOS and openelec vs. removing chrome and putting only openelec? Any benefits besides additional local disk space? Wondering if I should redo my setup.

maybe additional ~1s delay in booting since there are two bootloaders chained together in a dual-boot config. Otherwise the only difference is the amount of space allocated for OpenELEC.

(2014-04-29, 04:09)Netix Wrote: Matt do you think the Chromebox is powerful enough to transcode 720p mkv using plex media server to one or two device?

no idea, I'd look up the specs on the Celeron 2955U CPU and see how it does with transcoding. Playback is mostly offloaded to the GPU

(2014-04-29, 04:30)knives of ice Wrote: for a non linux user - my goodness does those instructions look daunting and scary.

any chance for an automatic installer program?

I suppose I could script some of it, but there's no way to get a 1-click solution. I'm working on streamlining the wiki, but since there are lots of variables (dual boot or not, default boot preference, etc) it's hard to condense. And consider this: you're hacking a box designed to run a locked down version of Linux and trying to run a completely different one. It's not going to be trivial.
[/quote]

I suppose I could script some of it, but there's no way to get a 1-click solution. I'm working on streamlining the wiki, but since there are lots of variables (dual boot or not, default boot preference, etc) it's hard to condense. And consider this: you're hacking a box designed to run a locked down version of Linux and trying to run a completely different one. It's not going to be trivial.
[/quote]

yeah, any script would really help out linux noobs like myself. i'd really really appreciate it
(2014-04-29, 04:40)knives of ice Wrote: yeah, any script would really help out linux noobs like myself. i'd really really appreciate it

which part though? the commands needed for the Device Prep are clearly ordered and enumerated. If there's a part that's not clear, either in in execution or in the intent/necessity, please ask so that I can improve the wiki. Everything after device prep is either scripted or involves downloading and creating a USB install stick, both of which are pretty straightforward.
(2014-04-29, 03:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 02:11)extension23 Wrote: Is anyone else having issues using the shared mysql library using the openelec 3.95.6 version from the wiki? I see errors in my log that it can't connect to the mysql databases. It is using the same advancedsettings.xml file as my other systems and I can ssh into the chromebox and ping the mysql server, but for some reason it is not connecting.

could be due to some slight differences between my build and the official 3.95.6 (my upcoming 3.95.7 build will not have any differences from the official except the bootloader). Since the new official 3.95.7 build includes my MCE remote fix, you should manually update to that (and your other boxes as well) and see if that fixes the issue.

The issue is likely due to the MySQL piece kicking in before the network is up properly. I had this issue with the ChromeBox and one of my other devices (it might be the hacked Boxee running XBMC). You need to either setup an autostart.sh, or I think you can configure OpenELEC to not start until the network is up (up to 10 seconds).

The option to create an autostart.sh is found here:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

I ended up creating the autostart.sh on my ChromeBox to fix this. Just nano the file and here are my contents:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.27
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Then reboot, and you should be good to go.
For those interested in Canada, the Chromebox is available at Canada Computers : 223.63$ with tax/shipping/ecofrais (QC thing.. 7.50$)
I just got mine Smile it arrived finally. Hope the wiki is up and running. Going to try to make a Ubuntu install only removing ChromeOS hope the wiki be up and running
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-04-29, 17:26)Veronica Wrote: I just got mine Smile it arrived finally. Hope the wiki is up and running. Going to try to make a Ubuntu install only removing ChromeOS hope the wiki be up and running

just follow the device prep instructions and then boot to a USB install stick for Ubuntu and go from there.
XBMC RC1 has been released along with OpenELEC-3.95.7 which includes:

•linux: mceusb xhci fix
(2014-04-29, 17:37)bkastner Wrote: XBMC RC1 has been released along with OpenELEC-3.95.7 which includes:

•linux: mceusb xhci fix

yup, nice that they were able to get that in there. So now the only difference between my custom build and the official one is the bootloader (syslinux) version
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8