• 1(current)
OS X Mavericks - No sound after 2 or 3 days (debug log attached)
I have an intermittent problem whereby XBMC sound stops working after 2 or 3 days roughly.

The problem was not evident on Mountain Lion (with 12.2 or nightlies at the time)

System

System is Mac mini 2013 running Mavericks 10.9.1 HDMI/HDMI to panasonic plasma
Audio settings are: Default, 2.0, Passthrough DISABLED, Keep Audio Alive is OFF (the problem occurs with it ON as well)
XBMC version is few day old Gotham nightly: 13.0-ALPHA12 Git:20140131-a4342cf

Debug Log

I was able to capture a debug log

Sorry, the log is huge because XBMC was running for a few days (with normal settings used by family) waiting for the problem to occur.

Sequence of events (as per debug log above)

Run XBMC as normal for a few days
Use XBMC as normal (after it being idle overnight) .. No sound ..
Start debug (see line 4804 in debug)
Try a few different files ..
Try vol up/down ..
Try to play another file ..
Still no sound
Disable debug
Upload log file

Sound from other apps still work. Quitting and restarting XBMC fixes the issue.

The Debug Log shows quite a few "discontinuity" error when the problem was evident. Errors appear with multiple files which again play normally after a restart.

These might be normal I guess.. Need an expert for this one

CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity2 - was:2040811.688000, should be:2030664.880127, error:-10146.807873

Really appreciate any help .. Starting to become really frustrating Sad
Beam me up Scotty - got no friends ..

Wrong way/place to ask ?
Try this test build and report back

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185454
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks - will do
Testing now (via mainline Gotham nightly). Suspect my issue relates to standby/power-off of TV or audio keep-alive - will take a few weeks to pick a pattern or conclude fixed.

Memphiz, you fixed my XBMC audio/video meltdown after TV standby (on Mavericks only) a few months ago (worked fine with Mountain Lion for a year!) .. perhaps this is a very rare (but related) use-case which your fix does not address?

Are the planned changes to accommodate loss of TV/Receiver/device more elegant/likely to address more use-cases?

best,
Chris
We merged a complete new audio engine for osx 2 days ago. It should be fine with cable unpluggers and tv off switchers now. Grab latest nightly and try it.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Finally, I experienced the loss of sound issue again tonight (with jerky video and slow menu response) - see above for background details.

Version: XBMC (13.0-ALPHA12 Git:20140224-5cd779b). Platform: x86 Darwin OSX 64-bit

Debug is here
Sorry - the log is large as XBMC gets heavy use (Panasonic plasma TV is only used for XBMC) and family gets frustrated if weather and auto update etc are disabled for days while waiting for a problem to occur.

Steps/Sequence:

Tried to use XBMC (from line 1052 in log)
Notice problem! No sound (inc navigation) and video jerky/to almost unresponsive. Navigation response also very slow.
Enabled debug.
Tried to play an episode of the "The Event" a few times. (see near the end of the log)
Uploaded the log
Disabled Debug
Quit and restarted
Tested sound - all ok.

My 6 y/o had been using XBMC prior! I suspect he paused his show (ref line 946 in log) then turned off the TV (this is not the usual use-case - we normally standby however this nightly has the new audio engine which is hoped to be resilient to plugging/unplugging/off/on).
please try to reproduce the problem and give a as short as possible reproduction description - sorry but i just don't have the time to guess howto break the audio Sad
Fair enough. Will try. Hats of to you devs! We really appreciate what you do for the community.
@Gigantur - wait - i think the log was more descriptive as i thought. Based on your log our ActiveAE devs pointed out a design flaw in our osx sink which could lead to what you see. We try to take care of that soon.
Great - happy to test if you crack it.
Are you able to reproduce the problem?
I can now..

Restart mac
Launch XBMC
Play a show (Seek a few minutes forward) (do not pause - keep playing)
Standby TV (HDMI from Mac Mini HDMI)
Wait 10 seconds
Wake TV
Result: No Audio and jerky video
(sometimes I need to repeat the STANDBY/Wake a few times - happens most times but after a few goes or reboots)

To recover it has been necessary to quit or force quit XBMC ..

Debug log here
Can you test this scenario with this testbuild please?

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg
I hope i'm not thread jacking, but my issue is so similar and i've been trying to reproduce it but cannot make it happen when i try. Only when i actually try to watch something the sound is gone.

What i've tried:

- Turn off amp while Mac mini stays on, turn amp back on = sound is still there.
- Put Mac to sleep, turn off amp. Wake up Mac first, then turn on amp = sound is still there

I's hard to reproduce what happens during night because i always fall asleep on the sofa and don't have slighted idea of outside world Tongue

My HDMI setup is a bit different though, Mac - AVR - ARC channel - TV.

It often, if not always, seem to hang when exiting XBMC and force quit is needed, so the issues sound very similar.

Tests will continue..
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mavericks - No sound after 2 or 3 days (debug log attached)0