Hardware ?
Need these three things running
1) Xbmc... must play 1080p
2) Torrent client
3) web browser.... netflix if possible

All my media files will be on stored the same machine.
Internal hard drives? How many? Room to grow?
Look in my signature. Bare bottom cheap HTPC build if you want to go the PC route. Drop the memory down to 4 GB and a redular spinning drive instead of an SSD and you keep it under $500.

Alternatively you could use something like this and it would have no problems with 1080p. Cost is rock bottom. The only issue will be storage space.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
(2014-02-05, 20:39)Ned Scott Wrote: Internal hard drives? How many? Room to grow?
OS and Xbmc on the primary or internal drive, I dont mind having external drives for my media
Thanks

(2014-02-05, 23:04)sapper6fd Wrote: Look in my signature. Bare bottom cheap HTPC build if you want to go the PC route. Drop the memory down to 4 GB and a redular spinning drive instead of an SSD and you keep it under $500.

Alternatively you could use something like this and it would have no problems with 1080p. Cost is rock bottom. The only issue will be storage space.

What OS do i use ...windows or xbmcubuntu as i mention before i need a webbrowser as well
Thanks
You want a big noisy all-in-one box under your telly to watch your media off of?

Isn't this like the 3rd thread this week like this?

Is search really that brokenHuh
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-05, 23:22)deephead Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 20:39)Ned Scott Wrote: Internal hard drives? How many? Room to grow?
OS and Xbmc on the primary or internal drive, I dont mind having external drives for my media
Thanks

(2014-02-05, 23:04)sapper6fd Wrote: Look in my signature. Bare bottom cheap HTPC build if you want to go the PC route. Drop the memory down to 4 GB and a redular spinning drive instead of an SSD and you keep it under $500.

What OS do i use ...windows or xbmcubuntu as i mention before i need a webbrowser as well
Thanks

Ubuntu will fit your needs the best unless you want to install other software that requires Windows. Ubuntu is free, stable and completely compatible with XBMC. Its fast to boot and you can install Chrome or Firefox on it for web surfing.

(2014-02-05, 23:28)jammyb Wrote: You want a big noisy all-in-one box under your telly to watch your media off of?

My box is dead silent. I don't notice it at all. I removed the DVD drive out of it because it was making too much noise when the system boot up! Now its no louder than my PS3 sitting next to it.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
(2014-02-05, 23:28)jammyb Wrote: You want a big noisy all-in-one box under your telly to watch your media off of?

Sorry I searched but am still confused, but thanks for pointing out that its going to be noisy. do u think the better thing to do is buy a cheap device like a pogoplug and install archlinux for sharing(samba) my media and use a silent fanless device to run xbmc. can u suggest me something that can run a webbrowser and xbmc.
I think most people would support splitting functionality between storage and playback. A lot of people are using the NUC. Many build small boxes with a nvidia gt610 graphics card, others buy small all in pcs like zotac make.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i have problem in playing xbmc video no picture but green screen audio good what i do for repair this problem of video

i need your help !
i have problem in playing xbmc video there is no picture but green screen put audio is good
what i do for repair this problem of video?
ferhead please stop posting in this thread which has nothing to do with your problem.

Start a new thread and include a debug log (wiki).

Goodbye.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you want netflix, you need to use an OS that supports it, which I think is mostly just going to be windows or OSX ?

Not sure how well netflix is supported in linux, it needs silverlight right? I think some xbmc netflix plugins require opening an external browser and loading it that way?
To me, it all sounds confusing/annoying.
It's fairly easy now to get Netflix running in Linux using some browser/virtualization tricks, as long as it's an x86 processor (desktop class). Android is a good option if you also need Netflix and various other video services that lack an XBMC add-on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware ?0