XBMC feature-freeze and bug-bash!
(tslayer @ april 22 2006,19:53 Wrote:it will be ready once it's ready. no max dates, no min dates, no dates...
whats the status are you almost done or "oh, we haven't even started".

i looked around to see how many bugreports there were and how many were closed, but i haven't found any.

so could you please give us an inclination of what you feel is the status of the freeze 10% done 50% 99% ( Wink )

(as no dates will lead to many many many: "are you done yet, are you done yet, are you...") but a % is more nice to the little kids of no patience.
i must note that even though the bug bash makes sense, i don't understand the no timeframe deal. obviously i respect the choice of the developers on this one because they code it but my programming experience suggests its best to set goals or else it will never get finished.

not trying to be rude here anyone just stating something that i think the developers should at least think briefly about. goal setting is a common thing in this world and while i'm patient and it would be fine if it took another year, it seems to just make more sense to have a timeframe. almost all serious projects do is what i'm trying to get across.
nuff said
the reason for the no timeframe deal is just the problem that less dev's are interested in fixing bugs than adding features. and thus, you can never really tell how long its going to take.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

at the moment we're doing some major changes to where xbmc saves stuff like databases & settings, this will need alot of testing

@drakethegreat, just bringing the point up is "rude" in a sense.
we do as best we can, and when we feel like announcing a timeframe, we will.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

well i guess we don't see eye to eye on whats rude but that seems to make more sense. i guess people are confused as to what exactly is going on. for instance i don't understand what if any code exists for 2.0.0 and i hear stories about what features will be in it but if all the development efforts are on bug bashing (which is a good thing too) then are these features even being worked on for 2.0.0? its just confusing because everyone who doesn't have full cvs access is somewhat confused or maybe it is just me Huh

thanks for replying though.
nuff said
the general consensus is:

no new major features for 2.0.0. ie what you see now, is pretty much what you'll get feature-wise.

with that said, there are a few outstanding things that could be considered minor features that aid to the ease of use of the software which will be in before 2.0. for instance, the rearrangement and cleaning up of the settings interface and the folder structure. another thing is the thumb tracking is getting some work as it is not obvious (both from a code perspective and a user perspective) as to what takes priority (local thumbs vs imdb thumbs vs allmusic.com thumbs etc.)

what you get in anonymous cvs is exactly what the developers have, save for anything changed in their local repositories.

we are focusing on bug fixing. check the bug list on sourceforge and take a look at the closed bugs over the last month or 2.

many of the remaining bugs are either not reproducible, or are in the process of being fixed.

cheers,
jonathan

progress?
(nomaanc @ may 21 2006,06:18 Wrote:progress?
yes
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Thumbs Up 
(tslayer @ may 21 2006,06:38 Wrote:
(nomaanc @ may 21 2006,06:18 Wrote:progress?
yes
nice :lol:
i'm a bit puzzled regarding the versioning. a 2.0.0 release in general software terms to be implies tons of new features, but probably quite buggy. for a feature freeze wouldn't it make more sense to work on a 1.2 branch, and then have the 2.0 branch be where all the new features are introduced.

hoping for some progress here though :thumbsup:
i've held off on upgrading the last couple of months, hoping that the 2.0 would be 'around the corner'.
(sandmancl @ june 05 2006,04:52 Wrote:i'm a bit puzzled regarding the versioning. a 2.0.0 release in general software terms to be implies tons of new features, but probably quite buggy. for a feature freeze wouldn't it make more sense to work on a 1.2 branch, and then have the 2.0 branch be where all the new features are introduced.

hoping for some progress here though :thumbsup:
i've held off on upgrading the last couple of months, hoping that the 2.0 would be 'around the corner'.
what they mean (or as far as i can tell) is that they are done adding the new features to 2.0.0 and are stablizing it for public use. this sort of thing is common for software development and is the reason why alphas become betas and betas become public releases.
nuff said
i stumbled upon this thread and i wanted to take the time to add my two cents about the 'planning' discussion.
it's fun to see how people want plannings and deadlines. to me plannings are just a way for bosses to stress the coders to code faster. i really enjoy those free projects where there are no dealines. everyone just codes when they want to and that's it, no one to tell you that it should have been done for yesterday. actually there are new versions everyday and it is really fun to see how the soft evolves.
i also think that it was a mistake from the coders side to annouce a feature-freeze and then change so much in the code. you put pressure on yourself for no obvious reason.
i also want to thank everyone working on this project (a thing that i don't usually do in 'work-posts').
so thank you for such a great work and dedication.

well.. the idea was to move from feature addition to code cleanup and bug fixing.. that some new features slip in will always happen, but it keeps the focus right. wich keeps us from scowering the feature suggest box for stuff to add.

I'm new to this XBMC project, and I really want to install it on my extra xbox. My only question is that, should I wait for 2.0.0, or will it not matter because it will be easy to upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0.0 (and because it will be many months before the next release)?

Thanks.

PS: I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but I can't search for other topics, the search function for this forum can't find the simplest keywords.
Firefoxer Wrote:PS: I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but I can't search for other topics, the search function for this forum can't find the simplest keywords.

what do you mean with that ? did you try our old forums search engine ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC feature-freeze and bug-bash!1