SQL Library Sync Question
I recently added a new media center box to my home network. My current setup now has 3 XBMC media center instances. I figured now was a good time to sync all libraries using mysql, as managing 2 libraries was cumbersome, and now with a 3rd, it would have been too much maintenance.

I followed the guide on the wiki for syncing libraries on ubuntu with mysql. Everything is working ok at this point. Let me generalize the proceedure to show where my question lies.

*All my media files are stored on a NAS and my main XBMC is my MySQL server.

On the server: (I'm only using Movies & TV Shows Libraries; Ubuntu 12.04.3 & XBMC 12.3)
Export library
install mysql and set it up per the guide on the wiki
Create advancedsettings.xml per the guide.
In XBMC set content again, to force scrapping the exported *.nfo files
Check mysql per the guide on the wiki to make sure xbmc is working with the databases
Done, and everything is okay.

On the new client: (Fresh install ubuntu 12.04.3 & XBMC 12.3)
copy the same advancedsettings.xml from the 'server' to the userdata directory.
open xbmc.

At this point, on the 'client' it automatically loaded the libraries, complete with thumb nails, descriptions, and watched statuses... even though i didn't set any sources... And everything is playable... even though i didn't set any sources.

Q.1) Do I need to set sources on the 'client'? It seems to work without setting sources.

Q.2) Where is the data stored; In the MySQL database or in the *.nfo files?

Q.3) What do I do with all the *.nfo files that were created when I exported the library. Do I need to keep them or can I delete them all?

My understanding is now when adding files to my media collection I should only need to 'Update Library' on 1 media center, and the new item should be propagated throughout, is this true? Or do I need to still update library on each media center?
*bump*

So I answered my last question. I only have to update 1 library and it propagates to the other media centers.

I still would like some clarification on the other items, if any one knows.
1) nope. My understanding is that you need to have the same sources.xml in each clients userdata folder but do not actually have to set the source. Everything should just come up.

2) the data is stored in MySQL. If you want it in the .nfo's export your library from the system menu and choose the option for individual files

3) you should keep the nfo's. if you ever need to start over from scratch xbmc will read the nfo's when rebuilding the library. it will go much faster.
(2014-02-15, 19:18)seth.feinberg Wrote: 1) nope. My understanding is that you need to have the same sources.xml in each clients userdata folder but do not actually have to set the source. Everything should just come up.

2) the data is stored in MySQL. If you want it in the .nfo's export your library from the system menu and choose the option for individual files

3) you should keep the nfo's. if you ever need to start over from scratch xbmc will read the nfo's when rebuilding the library. it will go much faster.

1) yes you need to add the sources to each xbmc if you want any funny surprises when accessing views in library mode (its happened to me). I used to not set them and at random times i would go into movies and there would be nothing all of a sudden. Anyways its just a matter of copying the sources.xml to each machine.

3) +1 here. I export my nfos every week. I built a script that does it automatically so that i always have a up to date set of nfo/poster/fanart in case i need to start from scratch. Also you should look into exporting the MySQL DB regularly so if you need to go back in time, you can.

I sucks when you have to start from scratch and you have put tone of work into customizing. Backups are always a good thing.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
@saitoh183 would you mind sharing that script? I'd love something that would wake my PC, update the library, clean it, (maybe run artwork downloader), then export it all on a schedule...
PM you

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SQL Library Sync Question1