Which Remote? RCA RCRP05BR
I have tried may remotes over the last few years. The main aim... ONE remote, easy to use, cheap.

I have two XBMC installs (Family Room and Lounge Room) and will be adding a third in the next year (Rumpus)

Summary:
Pulse Eight - Nyxboard = Fail (Cant turn on, Does not learn well, Bugs)
Pulse Eight - HDMI-CEC = Fail (Cant turn on PC, Cant turn OFF TV, Slow)
FLIRC = Fail (Cant turn on PC, Not so good with RC6 protocol)
Sony RMVL600 = Fail (no key repeat, so scrolling down sucks)
HP MCE Remote kit = Fail (cant do TV and AMP control)
Microsoft MCE Remote Kit = Fail (cant learn TV-Input to switch, cant power on AMP)
Harmony = Untested (reports of LAG, and expensive)

Solution Summary:
RCA RCRP05BR + http://www.hifi-remote.com + JP1.3 USB cable
Program the multifunction remote for your TV, reprogram the remote to replace your XBMC remote.

Family Room Overview:
I have a Samsung TV (2011), it has TWO horrible usability issues...
1) Switching inputs brings up a menu, so you have to press Source, Down, OK
2) Remote has flat buttons, so you need to look at the remote because you cant feel the buttons.

I have a Giada N20 Slim (Atom/ION) PC, it has ONE problem...
1) Does not have 5v power to the USB ports when the device is OFF/Sleep

The Nyxboard is good, but it is not suitable because
1) Without 5v standby power the RF dongle cannot turn on the PC
2) The remote was not able to learn the origial PC remote "ON/OFF" button
3) Bugs... sometimes you need to unplug/plug the RF dongle

Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC is good, but is not suitable because
1) Without the 5v standy power the device cannot turn on the PC
2) For some reason I couldn't get the device to turn off my Samsung TV
3) When switching inputs the Samsung TV gets very keen on switching to the CEC based device, takes about 2 sec and says "Connecting Anynet device". Very anoying
4) CEC has a bit of Lag, and not all buttons are mapped. (eg no Info button)

FLIRC is good, but it is not suitable because
1) Without 5v standby power the FLIRC cannot turn on the PC

Sony is good, but is not suitable because
1) Remote will not send the key repeat, so you can learn UP and DOWN, but cant use them to scroll down a list as the button wont repeat. This is also a pain for Volume UP/DOWN, where you really notice.

HP MCE Remote is great, but it doesn't have enough buttons to learn the extra functions for your TV. So if you need to do Chan UP/Down and switch input you cant.
1) Fails to consolidate all functions into one remote

Microsoft MCE = Much the same as HP, but nicer remote

Harmony I did not test, I read reports that they are SLOW, and when I need to get three devices I am not keen to spend $150 per room. Especially with Kids.

Family Room Summary:
Grab a RCA RCRP05BR from Amazon for about $20 delivered; get a JP1.3 cable for $35. (Living in Australia is a killer for postage)

Program the RCA Remote with the Samsung TV code, use the RemoteMaster software to load a Device Upgrade that has a discrete code to switch to HDMI1, assign this to "On Demand" button.
This solves BOTH the TV usability issues, with the RCA remote having nice buttons, and the discrete code avoiding the whole Sources Menu rubbish.

Learn all of the original buttons from the Giada N20 Slim remote, create my own Device Upgrade and assign this to the CBL source on the remote.

Use RemoteMaster to Punch through Volume, Channel and discrete codes for HDMI1-Input and TV-Input
Use RemoteMaster to create a Macro on the Power button to turn on/off TV and PC
Use RemoteMaster to add the TV power button onto a spare button on the CBL source, so that you can get the two devices in sync if the macro misses a device.

The final solution is great, with both original remotes put into the entertainment unit to never be seen again. The wife is happy as the remote "Just works".

I have some more RCA remotes on order so that I can finish off the Lounge and Rumpus.
http://www.HiFiRemote.com "This domain may be for sale. Contact us"??
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2014-02-17, 02:45)p750mmx Wrote: http://www.HiFiRemote.com "This domain may be for sale. Contact us"??

sorry, fixed: http://www.hifi-remote.com
I will never understand the demand to turn a computer on/off rather than just using sleep/wake.
(2014-02-17, 03:47)Ned Scott Wrote: I will never understand the demand to turn a computer on/off rather than just using sleep/wake.

I use Openelec and Sleep/Wake, I probably should have been more specific in my post.
Any universal remote that can send MCE compatible signals will work (given you have MCE compatible receiver). I've used to use RCRP05BR as well. After some time I become lazy and switched to Harmony Wink
Btw. if you have some soldering skills, there are schematics for JP cables.
Regards,
Embrion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Remote? RCA RCRP05BR0