• 8(current)
WIP Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager
(2015-03-07, 20:06)Jumbo Wrote: does anyone know how to run this on Mac OS X?
all I get is An error when I install from a zip file

You must compile Alwins branch under OSX. The AudioDSP-System is not official at the moment and is still under development.
Also you have to compile the addons by your self.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
Hello All,

I really am enjoying reading this thread. Most times I just skim through them to get the gist of the subject. I'm mainly a hardware person, being in broadcast for 19 years and communications in general for 45 years, learned machine code, COBOL, PASCAL in school and forgot just about all of it. That's what happens when you become old and don't keep up with coding.
I am totally amazed by what you fellows are doing and what you are contributing to, not only for the consumer/end user market but for us geeks and high end users.

BRAVO! & Thank You!

Now to my question.
With the addition of the DSP add-on, will you be able to control the Audio Phase and Audio Compression from these settings?
I will start a different thread on my situation so not to take away from this excellent discussion.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220618
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ × 2
Memory: 2GiB
Graphics: GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2
HardDrive: 320 GB
DVB: AVerTVHD MCE A180
Keyboard/Mouse: Wireless
OS Type: 14.04 64-bit Trusty
Kodi: 14.x
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
TV: Vizio 42" LCD
Computer was formerly a Captiveworks 3000 HTPC
(2015-03-07, 21:17)GEEMac Wrote: ...
I really am enjoying reading this thread. Most times I just skim through them to get the gist of the subject. I'm mainly a hardware person, being in broadcast for 19 years and communications in general for 45 years, learned machine code, COBOL, PASCAL in school and forgot just about all of it. That's what happens when you become old and don't keep up with coding.
I am totally amazed by what you fellows are doing and what you are contributing to, not only for the consumer/end user market but for us geeks and high end users.

BRAVO! & Thank You!
Many thanks for the compliment Blush

(2015-03-07, 21:17)GEEMac Wrote: Now to my question.
With the addition of the DSP add-on, will you be able to control the Audio Phase and Audio Compression from these settings?
I will start a different thread on my situation so not to take away from this excellent discussion.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220618
What do you mean with Audio Compression? (Format or Dynamic processing)
At the moment you can control the speaker delays with adsp.basic.
But a phase shifter (hilbert filter) or allpass filter you should have more control over the audio phase. Unfortunately we do not have the plugin that supports this function. Sorry. But the AudioDSP System is very flexible and it should be possible to implement this filters.

Quote: What do you mean with Audio Compression? (Format or Dynamic processing)

Dynamic range compression (DRC).

(VF) Voice frequency range for communications is 300 to 3000 HZ. Actually men's voice range is 150 cycles to 6,000 cycles and for women 350 cycles to 8,000 cycles.
So lets say you are watching a standard show such as CSI or NCIS with more dialog then background or incidental music during each scene. On a surround sound system that is mostly separated for you via front, side, rear, center and sub as in a 7.1 system.
Now it can become a problem when all that is mixed down to a 2 channel device such as a TV with just L & R. So when any background or music rises and there is dialog, it can wash out the voice.

So in some cases with those that are only limited to 2 channels, may want to have a compression setting that is frequency dependent. This way you can keep the voice frequencies (mid) set and compress the peaks of the surrounding frequencies 60-150Hz / 3.5-16.0KHz if they get to hot. Shouldn't have to worry about anything over 16000 unless you are a dog. Woof
The frequency response of most two channel TVs are pretty limited so a standard EQ may help but something that can be set to compress at a set frequency may be a big help.

I am mostly a RF and Video guy I usually leave the audio to the audio engineers. Plus, I'm getting old so my mid range is getting a bit dull. Background noises can kill voices for me such as in a restaurant. So if the waiter comes over and says, you'r an arse. I say sure I'll go for another course. Huh

Here is some interesting reading on voice frequency ranges http://www.larryjordan.biz/audio-mixing-...of-speech/
@geemac: if you use windows 7/8 as os you can use the very good build in drc function, that works very well. i use it for all direct sound devices (tv, movies) while all wasapi devices (music) didnt use drc.
(2015-03-11, 02:56)GEEMac Wrote: ...
The frequency response of most two channel TVs are pretty limited so a standard EQ may help but something that can be set to compress at a set frequency may be a big help.
If you want you should subscribe my other thread about adsp.biquad.filters. There I develop an Equalizer. I will implement an preprocess mode which allows to set gains for several frequency bands for each audio channel. After that you can use an Master Mode (at the moment we don't have this addon) to downmix to stereo.

(2015-03-11, 02:56)GEEMac Wrote: I am mostly a RF and Video guy I usually leave the audio to the audio engineers. Plus, I'm getting old so my mid range is getting a bit dull. Background noises can kill voices for me such as in a restaurant. So if the waiter comes over and says, you'r an arse. I say sure I'll go for another course. Huh
I'm also no audio engineer Blush, but audio signal processing is my hobby.Wink

(2015-03-11, 02:56)GEEMac Wrote: Here is some interesting reading on voice frequency ranges http://www.larryjordan.biz/audio-mixing-...of-speech/
Quite interesting article. If you find a similar article for Dynamic range compression (DRC), please share it here.

EDIT: change to adsp.biquad.filters

Hi Wisler
Quote: Quite interesting article. If you find a similar article for Dynamic range compression (DRC), please share it here.
I subscribed to your thread, quite interesting. I'l post the links to other info on DRC when I find them. I guess I could post them here, but not sure if the powers to be allow a bunch of links off site and off the main subject of Kodi.

Hi Ed76
Quote: @geemac: if you use windows 7/8 as os you can use the very good build in drc function, that works very well. i use it for all direct sound devices (tv, movies) while all wasapi devices (music) didnt use drc.
My HTPC is Linux based system using Trusty 14.01 64bit. My laptop is Windows and Linux. I'm still on Gotham with Win 7.

I'm also a Amateur Radio operator and use my laptop for SDR (Software Defined Radio) That is probably where I would use the audio tailoring. Not only for Voice communications from my external microphone, but with receive frequency response for CW and Digital communications which can use various Band Pass filtering and notching of offending carriers that can come along side of a station that you are in communications with. There is stuff also for Linux for that line of communications. My laptop is mainly set up for communications in both MS Win 7 ultimate and Linux.
I have found that MS supposed copy protection scheme for audio co you can't record what you hear, which started in Windows 7 has been a disaster for Amateur Radio usage since we have to use all these virtual plugs and jacks to finagle things for even simple audio usage.

My main computer in the back room is mainly used for antenna and radio design work with all my test analyzers and fancy programs that also do schematic and circuit board layouts. This computer has Win XP, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Win 8.1, Linux 64 bit, and Mac-Mavericks. Win 7 and Linux is my main OS for design work.
I also do support for a company called Linden Labs and another group called Firestorm. Linden Labs is a company that owns a Virtual World Social Media program called Second Life. I do support for both LL's viewer and Firestorm. This explains why all the different OSs on my main computer.
@wisler

Now that 14.2 stable is out, would you compile it with Audio DSP plugin (windows version)?
(2015-04-01, 10:20)qzem Wrote: @wisler

Now that 14.2 stable is out, would you compile it with Audio DSP plugin (windows version)?

Hi qzem,
sorry at the moment I'm very busy with my master thesis and adsp.biquad.filters. So I have no time to integrate AudioDSP into 14.2Sad

it doesn't make any sense to backport ADSP. Don't waste time on this wisler. Users that want to test ADSP should use the dev builds or wait for next stable that has it included. Requesting such things will only cause devs to spend time on pointless stuff and have less time to work on the feature itself.
We now have a new sub forum for AudioDSP Add-ons.

I also compiled Kodi with AudioDSP for Windows and added my adsp.biquad.filters addon.

Now you can find my testbuild in this thread.

Hello!

Nice to hear that KODI is going to have DSP! Great work!

I have only one question.... What about audio latency? That is if there is a audio filter that produces for example 500ms latency.... Is it somehow applied to the playback engine or not?

And again nice work!
(2015-07-13, 14:16)j1and1 Wrote: Hello!

Nice to hear that KODI is going to have DSP! Great work!

I have only one question.... What about audio latency? That is if there is a audio filter that produces for example 500ms latency.... Is it somehow applied to the playback engine or not?

And again nice work!
Hi j1and1,

sure we have a *GetDelay(...) function in our AudioDSP API.
But at the moment we don't have a addon which creates this huge latency. So latency should not be a problem.

Hows that Mac version comin' along?
Great news we merged AudioDSP, you can use it now through our nightly builds.

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager7