WIP Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager
@chjan
Quite a long post Tongue

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: I would just like to ask a newbie question regarding this work: Have you considered to create a simple wrapper for VST plugins as one of your first DSP addons?
Yes, but I don't want to start this project. It breaks my vision about Open Source and Kodi's crossplatform support.
You also mentioned the most drawbacks, which we would have with VST. I looked into VST and helped a colluege at work with his plugin. I have to say VST 3 has the worst documentation and API I have ever saw.Sleepy It took two months to get the plugin in good shape..
That was one reason why we defined our own API that suits more to Kodi. We have several processing steps, which are not supported by VST. Furthermore it is only available for OSX and Windows. Not for Android, RPi or Linux.

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: If I understand this thread correctly, the KODI project has set out to create basic DSP features like biquads, delay, etc. Questions then arrise as all these basic features are available in a zillion variants in the industry standard VST. Thus, to replicate all the features available in VST format is a giant task.
You're right, but the most audio processing algorithms can be implemented with in some lines. See my library for the biquad filter. It is one class. What needs many effort is the UI and the configuration of the algorithms. Further effort is needed to create a nice user interface, which you can use while sitting at your couch Blush

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: I believe such a wrapper is not hard to do. I have written several VST plugins in Java, then wrapped via simple text files to VST plugin format on Windows, or to VST, AU and LADSPA plugin format on OS X, etc. The reason for using Java (also Windows ASIO compliant, BTW) is crossplatform compliance for the situation when the same software is used as a standalone app on Java compliant platforms, including Android. It means the VST and other plugin variant were a spinoff, but it works very well.
(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: You can run VST plugins without GUI, so in a basic version the non-crossplatform GUI problems are not showstoppers.
You have to implement this basic GUI with Kodi's GUI library. It really needs some effort and is not so easy you might think. You have to write a wrapper addon, which implements all needed host functions for VST. Our API is Open Source if you know how to write it in Java why not starting this project by yourself. Our API is stable enough to start new addons.

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: so it is not that easy to replicate just like that in a new DSP KODI format
It's not just replcating it is customization for Kodi Wink It is not format it is a shared library with it's own API like VST or LADSPA.
Btw. I makes a lot of fun to learn this stuff and develop it from scratch.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager - by AchimTuran - 2016-01-07, 22:42

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager7
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.