How much power do I need?
I'm trying to find a HTPC that will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Run OpenELEC
- Play (3D) 1080p flawlessly
- Be able to run Sabnzbd/Sickbeard in the background

My eye has fallen on the ZBOX's from ZOTAC. Reason for this is because I already have one working without any problems, but I need to find this HTPC for a friend.
I was thinking about the ID83 or the ID91 with a large HDD in it, but I have no idea if this will be too much overpowered or not. Could someone please show me the light? I've been searching for days without any real answer or hints.

Thanks!
I would say you need at least an i3/i5.
It can't be TOO overpowered. If it is, all that means is you could have spent less money. **

I'd agree that you probably want to move to i3/i5 since you want to do 3D.
Can you run Sab/Sick in the background on OE?

** I guess, technically, if you had too much, you might be generating too much heat, and then fan noise, and wasting electricty/etc, so its probably more than just the upfront cost of the equipment. But I still wouldn't worry about being overpowered, unless its blowing your budget.
(2014-02-20, 18:32)00b5 Wrote: Can you run Sab/Sick in the background on OE?
Yes, supposedly there's a plugin that will run them in the background.

So the ID91 will probably we fine for my purpose? The price is only slightly higher and the CPU is slightly faster.
Are you Intel only or would you consider an AMD build as well? I am just wondering.
(2014-02-20, 23:10)WhiteOutReviews Wrote: Are you Intel only or would you consider an AMD build as well? I am just wondering.

I would consider it, but I'm already having trouble estimating how much performance I'm going to need with Intel Smile
lol I understand. It can be a lot of info to take in. I use an AMD APU system. It runs all of my media with XBMC and I don't have any file playback issues or HD quality issues.
For me an Intel Celeron with a Intel HD Graphics works fine... No need for an i3/i5.
(2014-02-21, 09:52)dnuc Wrote: For me an Intel Celeron with a Intel HD Graphics works fine... No need for an i3/i5.

Plus you're running Sabnzbd/Sickbeard in the background? These tend to be quite CPU intensive.
@nooryani84: yeah, right. I don't run them in the background. When needed they're running on my NAS Smile

Okay, maybe you need an i3/i5 Smile
Alright, guess I'll settle for the i3. It doesn't have to be super-duper fast and I don't imagine they'll be watching 3D movies and downloading at the same time.

Thanks for the advice!
(2014-02-22, 14:11)Schamper Wrote: Alright, guess I'll settle for the i3. It doesn't have to be super-duper fast and I don't imagine they'll be watching 3D movies and downloading at the same time.

Thanks for the advice!

With an SSD my i3 is very zippy Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How much power do I need?0