Trouble with plural in Czech and Slovak.
Question 
Hello. I have a question regarding Czech and Slovak grammar when compared to English.

the problem:

English
Singular: 1 Episode
Plural: 2 Episodes

Slovak:
Singular: 1 Epizóda
Plural: 2 Epizódy, 3 Epizódy, 4 Epizódy, 5 Epizód and every higher number is "Epizód".

Basically form of plural changes its form when count is higher than 5. According to Confluence and Re-touched skins, this has not been solved yet.

Easy solution: to change plural form from "Epizódy" to "epizód" or harder solution = count of episodes will be considered when choosing correct string and matched with correct form.
Hi !

I already started implementing plural support in xbmc, but it will be only ready for Gotham+. So please refine things as it is now. You can do it up at Transifex if you wish to ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141158 )

Thanks,
Cheers,
Attila
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yes, plurals in Slavic languages are hell for localization from English. E.g., in Russian and Ukrainian except for "numeric plurals" mentioned above there is also a "generic plural" used without numerals. It would be nice if XBMC localization system supported such situations.
I have checked solution in czech translation. It was used "Epizod(y)". I would rather see 3 variations of string instead of 2. Better solution:

English:
String for Singular :1 Episode
String for Plural: 2 Episodes
String for plural V2: If empty use Previous line / Or every existing translation should fill in "Episodes".

I Simply dont know if XBMC can support string which is not mandatory and is used only when filled in.
I found one possible solution

String "Počet epizód:" can be translated as "Amount of episodes:". The number has to be then placed after the string, but the string does not need to change depending on number.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trouble with plural in Czech and Slovak.0