• 7(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-01-27, 18:03)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I just installed Windows 8 on my Baytrail kit with a 512GB SSD and 8 Gigs of ram.
It is fast very fast I am happy with the kit as just a player or a downloader.

It sounds like you want should spend some money and get a one baytrail for encoding and a second for playback.
I have no issues running 720 (60% CPU load on both cores with windows 8). I will test the 1080 later.

Awesome. When you do get around to testing 1080, can you comment on the fan noise too? Thanks!!
(2014-01-27, 19:56)yuyak Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 18:03)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I just installed Windows 8 on my Baytrail kit with a 512GB SSD and 8 Gigs of ram.

It sounds like you want should spend some money and get a one baytrail for encoding and a second for playback.
I have no issues running 720 (60% CPU load on both cores with windows 8). I will test the 1080 later.

Awesome. When you do get around to testing 1080, can you comment on the fan noise too? Thanks!!

My unit has no moving parts that I am aware of. (other than the power button)
(2014-01-26, 17:31)joelbaby Wrote: If you scroll down in that ad, it says Windows 8.1.

But I do agree, it is kind of a dick move by Intel not to support Win7 on this device. Ultimately I think it will cost them in unit sales, because a lot of people don't want Win8.

However - for XBMC you just need Openelec.

the current Openelec usb loader doesn't work with the DN2820FYKH bios.
(2014-01-27, 20:27)SgtSlaughter Wrote:

If your NUC is the Intel® NUC kit DN2820FYKH it has a small fan according to Intel?!
(2014-01-27, 20:54)Cordo Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 20:27)SgtSlaughter Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 19:56)yuyak Wrote: Awesome. When you do get around to testing 1080, can you comment on the fan noise too? Thanks!!

If your NUC is the Intel® NUC kit DN2820FYKH it has a small fan according to Intel?!

The unit is 100% silent in my 500 square foot hotel room. When I flashed a light into the unit I couldn't see a fan.
"Low-acoustics active cooling design"

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...0fykh.html
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
yeah, I was pretty sure it had a fan, but if it's so quiet you didn't think it had a fan, that's pretty good Smile

I tested the 1080. I saw 85% cpu spike. the payback looked good to me. I ran into some messed up playback on the VC1. h264 (40mbps and 10 mbps) worked very fast.
I can't hear anything from the case.
(2014-01-27, 22:58)yuyak Wrote: yeah, I was pretty sure it had a fan, but if it's so quiet you didn't think it had a fan, that's pretty good Smile

It does have a small fan. I lifted the MB to see.

Hopefully they will have a BIOS update to fix Legacy booting and DTS-HD bitstreaming soon. Also Windows 7 drivers would be nice.

The only thing that ive been able to boot is a Windows 8 boot USB. WIndows 8 seems to run fairly well. No lag that I can detect. The nice thing is that is only pulling 10 watts at full load!! Very efficient...
Just found a BIOS update. Sounds like Windows 7 and Openelec might work? Time for some testing.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldID=23573

https://communities.intel.com/message/221296#221296
I'm still waiting on the memory for my DN2820CFYKH, but let us know how the Openelec boot works.

Intel Forum posting
What memory did you get? I wanted to wait until amazon had them in stock but I might give up and do the provantage thing.
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I noticed the discussion about the Bay Trail NUC and thought I'd chime in. I've used XBMC on several flavors of Linux and Windows on pretty much every incarnation of the NUC so far. I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 16 (alternating back & forth for testing) on the Bay Trail NUC.

So if you have questions I'll try to help. If I can't help I "know some people" who I can reach out to. I post fairly frequently in the Intel Community (yes, I'm THAT JasonHoffman) but someone mentioned my name had popped up here so I thought I'd try my hand here.

For the record I am an Intel employee. However I was not and am not involved in the devlopment of the NUC engineering-wise. What I do is write about my experiences with it as a platform, and post ideas, solutions, and occasionally how-tos.

So, fire away...but be nice.

Jason
(2014-01-28, 05:02)kri kri Wrote: What memory did you get? I wanted to wait until amazon had them in stock but I might give up and do the provantage thing.

Using the Intel compatibility page, I ordered the Crucial CT51264BF160BJ
"But I do agree, it is kind of a dick move by Intel not to support Win7 on this device. Ultimately I think it will cost them in unit sales, because a lot of people don't want Win8."

Windows 7 support is coming. They tried to have it in place before launch but these things can get complicated on the back end. Windows 7 support requires bios changes and a graphics driver. I believe the bios changes are being tested right now and the driver is almost done. I'll try to get a time frame to expect it but it is coming.

Believe me I know how frustrating it is to not have Windows 7 as an option, and the last time I talked to the team it was one of their top priorities.

Jason

"Hopefully they will have a BIOS update to fix Legacy booting and DTS-HD bitstreaming soon."

BIOS 0021 for the Bay Trail is available for download from downloadcenter.intel.com. It fixes several known bugs. I've been working with it and it also fixes the issue where the BIOS shows "0GB" for RAM.

Jason

All, I'll take a look at the openelec issue and see what I can get to work.

Jason
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5