• 5(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-01-22, 21:28)snatch22 Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 18:57)rogerthis Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 17:14)snatch22 Wrote: Thanks for your continued assistance, but no dice. Says unsupported. Intel also doesn't seem to be of much help... this is my thread on the forums there: https://communities.intel.com/message/220509 Not sure if I should pursue a refund or wait it out and hope they fix it..

Have you tried out openelec?

I have very little experience with linux in general and before I installed the SSD I attempted to get openelec running on a USB stick, but I couldn't get it to boot from the live stick according to the directions on the openelec wiki.. I *think* it has something to do with the uefi bios but this system is for someone else so I wanted to get windows on and I didn't try too hard. I suppose I could look into it more..

I too have issues with usb boot with Openelec on my DN2820FYK.
I am also having issues with the Intel visual bios. The hotel TV that I am using does not support 1024x768 over hdmi so I am LOCKED out of the visual BIOS. Intel doesn't support txt bios anymore.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034637.htm

I am very unhappy that my DN2820FYK doesn't have Windows 7 drivers.

The Intel forums are not responding to my questions about the 24hz bug either.

I would recommend not purchasing the DN2820FYK or any Intel NUC with the prices they charge. Intel should stick to selling over-priced components.
Does this belong here:

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2014/01/exclu...l-box.html
(2014-01-24, 19:51)Platypus2 Wrote: Does this belong here:

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2014/01/exclu...l-box.html

Am I the only one who thinks owls when they read the processor? Cool

£85. Not too shabby!!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

TranquilPC are selling now for £85

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/dn2820fykh/

Very tempted to get one for use with OpenElec and WMC Backend.
(2014-01-24, 22:27)asm495 Wrote: TranquilPC are selling now for £85

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/dn2820fykh/

Very tempted to get one for use with OpenElec and WMC Backend.

That price is ex vat. Default Tax Class £17.00
Brings it to £101.99 plus delivery
I'll hold off for now. Think that it is quite deceptive how they don't show that on main product page. Somewhere else will have it for sale soon I'm sure.
Surely someone has some pics of this thing open, with a 2.5" hdd installed in it?

I've been waiting on getting any NUCs because i'm cheap and want to recycle an SSD/spare 2.5" hdds I already have into one of these.

I'd like to see some pics of it installed inside the case, thats what this one was supposed to allow right?

Hopefully we see some successful openelec boots soon as well..... Smile
(2014-01-24, 23:32)00b5 Wrote: Surely someone has some pics of this thing open, with a 2.5" hdd installed in it?

I've been waiting on getting any NUCs because i'm cheap and want to recycle an SSD/spare 2.5" hdds I already have into one of these.

I'd like to see some pics of it installed inside the case, thats what this one was supposed to allow right?

Hopefully we see some successful openelec boots soon as well..... Smile

I'll take a couple of pics of a HDD installed in mine when I get home if you'd like. I think we can get Openelec to work if we can figure out how to make a UEFI compatible USB installer. I managed to get another Linux distribution to boot when I made a GPT partition on bootable USB using Rufus but since Openelec doesn't come in an iso this might take a bit more prep work. I've got Windows 8.1 running right now and everything is working great so performance under Linux should be even better.
Got mine today, and as others have mentioned I had zero luck getting the Openelec bootable USB to work.
I received mine tonight but the DDR3L memory didn't show up - couple more days. Long story:

I took the HD out of my XBMC dual core Atom laptop running Gotham and installed it into the NUC. I had memory from a laptop thinking it was DDR3L but I've come to find out afterwards it is DDR3. The Virtual BIOS screen was showing 0 Total memory but it showed the DIMM present so I knew something was wrong..

I couldn't get the NUC to boot off the hard drive with Openelec until I turned on Legacy boot option in the BIOS. Openelec fired up but was sluggish and videos were choppy but again, the memory isn't correct so it isn't a fair test at this point.

Openelec System Info showed only one CPU - CPU0. That has me concerned.

I created a Openelec Install and booted the Openelec install. However, once I selected to Install Openelec, the NUC rebooted.

I'll post back after Tuesday when the memory arrives.
So is this NUC able to run openelec? I was about to order the £85 model and add the ram and hdd later.
You can order two and donate one to the OpenELEC team, then wait some days.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I would if I could
I'm having terrible luck with this thing so far. Pulled the SSD out of my current HTPC (which runs Openelec), BIOS recognizes it in 'legacy' mode but in UEFI not at all. Regardless it wont boot from it in either mode, it's not even on the F10 boot menu/list etc.

StigMX5, you mention the BIOS saying 0GB of RAM. I'm seeing the same thing at the BIOS home screen with correct 1.35v RAM. In the details screen I do see the 4GB however.

All in all looks like this thing shipped with a terrible BIOS. Hope it wont take too long for an update.

In any case a poster was asking for pics of the HD installed etc, here ya go:
(2014-01-25, 12:09)fritsch Wrote: You can order two and donate one to the OpenELEC team, then wait some days.

I was wondering if we could start a donation pool to get the openelec team one of these devices, I mean it would take 7 people contributing $20 to purchase one. Not sure the exact process to get that started though, but would speed up getting openelec to work on this device. Thoughts?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5