Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-02-20, 22:40)joshua.lyon Wrote:
(2014-02-19, 17:48)twelvebore Wrote: Maybe I'll set my upgraded BIOS to default and start over.. what settings are optimal for win 8.1 installing on an SSD in the latest bios?
When I did my install, the first thing I did was upgrade the BIOS to 0025, then installed Windows 8.1 (on a Samsung EVO SSD) and used the default BIOS settings. After the initial install, the system was running sluggish, but I figured this was due to a lack of proper drivers, so I downloaded the Intel NUC Driver bundle from:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...pe=Drivers

After installing the updated drivers, the system has been running like a champ.

Yep, I hit that driver bundle up right away.. along with the updates since then.. I did a chat session with Intel today and they want me to try installing Windows 8.0 after setting BIOS to default.. My hopes are super low.. Sadly, I'm going to lose all the customization's I've done thus far to the OS.. The one day it ran smoothly was nice..

What do you have the GPU RAM reservation set to in the Bios? I had bumped mine up to 512MEG before I installed OpenELEC the first time.. perhaps that is conflicting with the Windows 8.1 drivers in some way?? I'll reset bios to default and see if that alone fixes my 8.1 install before nuking my drive and starting over..

I am running XBMC Gotham nightly builds in Windows 8.1 (ignoring my slow OS mentioned above), and when I have the NUC on an HDMI->DVI connected monitor, my XBMC start up errored out with "ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting.".. some googling led me to use the -p (portable mode) argument, and also to install it in c:\xbmc.. well, I did that, but no love.. then I set it up so I can work remotely on it.. I fire up an RDP client and xbmc runs fine.. I got back home and ran it again on the console and got the error again... after some head scratching, I dug through the xbmc.log and saw errors about it not finding an audio device, yada yada.. Sure, there's no possible audio path, but damn.. why would that stop xbmc from loading at all?

I drug the NUC to my media room and plugged it into my AVR and fired things up.. sure enough, XBMC fires right up... (though, w/ the slow OS issue mentioned above, is unbearable)..

Just thought I'd mention that, in case some other unassuming victim runs into the same issue..

Messages In This Thread
Today I stuck at EFI screen - by YaPaY - 2014-10-31, 13:39
RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - by kyoo - 2014-02-20, 23:12
Intel NUC b - by pratt733 - 2014-02-24, 19:24
RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - by thethirdnut - 2014-02-24, 20:08
RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - by pratt733 - 2014-02-24, 20:44
RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - by thethirdnut - 2014-02-24, 20:56
RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - by Le Freak - 2014-02-24, 22:41
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5