NFO files location
I intend to slowly fix all the genres in my library...
I know that I have to act on the NFO files (and know what to do with them), but here's my doubt: where are they stored?

(I have generated a lot of NFO files once when I asked XBMC to upload the library data in the movies folders - but I guess that these are backup NFO files, used only if I rescan everything from scratch, right?)
Nope. those are the NFOs, in the right place. You don't have any NFOs by default, you either create them by hand to import into the library or they appear when you export your library as you did. XBMC doesn't have a secret directory of NFOs anywhere else - the library database is stored in sqlite or mysql, not as text files.

What you can do is export everything, edit the NFOs, and then refresh the lot and it'll re-import from your NFO files instead of from the 'net. That would allow you to over-ride genres, descriptions, etc. - similarly with thumbnails, fanart, and so on.
(2014-02-24, 22:38)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Nope. those are the NFOs, in the right place. You don't have any NFOs by default, you either create them by hand to import into the library or they appear when you export your library as you did. XBMC doesn't have a secret directory of NFOs anywhere else - the library database is stored in sqlite or mysql, not as text files.

What you can do is export everything, edit the NFOs, and then refresh the lot and it'll re-import from your NFO files instead of from the 'net. That would allow you to over-ride genres, descriptions, etc. - similarly with thumbnails, fanart, and so on.

very clear Prof, and I thank you.
So to be clear: after editing I have to refresh everything, correct?
Correct

EDIT to be a little more verbose...

Correct - to test this, export and then edit a single NFO. Go to the movie/episode information and refresh just that one file... XBMC should say "local information find, ignore and refresh from Internet?" or similar - basically, it's giving you a choice of using the local NFO or re-scraping. Simply select what you want and see the results. When you're happy, you can refresh everything (or you may need to re-import, I don't recall).
I'd also check out XWMM. You may find it easier to update genres this way. I do. It won't affect the nfos though, only the database - unless you run an export library function again.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-02-26, 04:53)thrak76 Wrote: ... It won't affect the nfos though, only the database - unless you run an export library function again.

whatHuh
... well I must misunderstood something then, this doesnt work with what was said before by Prof Yaffle:

(2014-02-24, 22:38)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Nope. those are the NFOs, in the right place. You don't have any NFOs by default, you either create them by hand to import into the library or they appear when you export your library as you did. XBMC doesn't have a secret directory of NFOs anywhere else - the library database is stored in sqlite or mysql, not as text files.

SO: do we have a database (say, under the xbmc user home dir) separated from the NFOs, or not?
It still seems to me there must be one: before I exported library the 1st time, I had almost no NFOs with the movies, yet after the first scan, my XBMC had its movie info/poster/etc for each one, and I didnt need to rescan after each reboot

(confused)
Yes, there's a database - it's in sqlite format. What thrak76 said is true: XWMM and similar tools directly edit XBMC's database. To turn this into NFOs, though, you need to export your library to separate files.

So... and I can see where we've (I've?) confused you...

1. You can edit XBMC's database directly using tools like XWMM, EMM and the like. No NFOs required.

2. You can export the database to NFOs, edit them and re-import them.

or even

3. You can edit XBMC's database using tools, export it, refine the NFO data, and re-import it

Does that help?
perfect&clear now,

thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFO files location0