card 0: CMI8768 [C-Media CMI8768], device 1: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8768 [C-Media CMI8768], device 2: CMI8738-MC8 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

(2014-05-11, 20:17)fritsch Wrote: post aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=CMI8768
C-Media CMI8768, C-Media PCI DAC/ADC
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=CMI8768
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
Front speakers
rear:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
C-Media CMI8768, C-Media PCI 2nd DAC
Rear speakers
surround40:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
All there as is should be. You did not answer the speaker-test question.

To sumarize for whatever that reads:
- There will never be passthrough support for DTS-HD or TrueHD over a spdif interface
- SPDIF devices can only manage to open 2 pcm channels
- DTS and AC3 are virtual formats, that are send via those 2 pcm channels in passthrough mode and decoded by the AVR

I don't know what gentoo patches this time in their ebuilds, so head over to openelec.tv and try one of their images.

Concerning your Soundcard: If you use the analog output, choose the connected PCM device (no passthrough will work at all). If you have your SPDIF connected, choose that output for both.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sorry for the missing speaker-test answer. Here it is:
speaker-test -c2 -D "plughw:0,0" - plays and I hear noise from Left and Right speaker
speaker-test -c2 -D "plughw:0,1" - plays but nothing to hear
speaker-test -c2 -D "plughw:0,2" - plays and I hear noise from Left and Right speaker

when I try to play pcm sound from xbmc and then from command line: aplay, speaker test for device "plughw:0,0" and "plughw:0,2" gives error "Device or resource busy".
After some time the device is freed and capable to be tested again from command prompt.

For the soundcard - only the optical output is connected to the receiver and all the pcm and pass-through gets from there (till now with no problems).
Now seems pcm playback is happening but no sound is heard.
Make triple sure you are not muted (by pressing the + button some time).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hallo again. Thank you for helping me. May be the problems I have are really out of xbmc scope.

XBMC was not mute but alsa optical output was. If I run
amixer set 'IEC958 Output',0 on
before starting xbmc I have normal pcm sound from xbmc. I am confused what may triggered this change. alsa service saves on shutdown and loads on startup mixer settings.
But now I have to manually unmute the output after each restart.

On the missing TrueHD audio. It turns out that the "Intel HD" kernel module was missing. After rebuilding the module and no changes in xbmc settings (for pass trough is chosen C-Media S/PDIF device) and everything is back to perfect Smile.

I have NVIDIA card which is connected to the receiver with HDMI. On the receiver I have the following input settings: video/audio = HDMI2/OPTICAL2. Which means that all audio is coming only from the optical input (which is connected to C-Media S/PDIF device).
Is it possible that the TrueHD sound gets trough the HDMI ? (even that the receiver audio source is optical and the xbmc pass trough device is S/PDIF)

Edit: Well, not everything is perfect. I can not have both pcm sound and TrueHD. If Audio device is S/PDIF and passtrough is S/PDIF then all DTS and TrueHD are OK, but pcm is silence(no input on the receiver), If Audio is Default C-Media and passtrough is S/PDIF then pcm and DTS are OK, but TrueHD is silence (no input on the receiver). If NVIDIA HDMI is selected for passtrough then in xbmc are shown checked options like TrueHD and many others but no input in the receiver when playback - may be the audio is transmitted over the HDMI, but my receiver(HK AVR-155) doesn't play audio over HDMI (truehd).
Fresh Debug uploaded http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=200192.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTSHD and TRUEHD no longer work and other audio issues1