• 1(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
I've answered multiple posts in the last few days - all relating to add-ons from "thesitewhichIwillnotmention". These are mostly from people who appear to have purchased pre-loaded devices and assume that this is the place to come.

As discussed here, mentioned here, here, here, here, here, here, here and the list goes on and on.

I think the easiest way to get around this is for the big yellow announcement box at the top to display a clear message, which can be dismissed. I know the rules are set out and there are more than enough moderators and staff to deal with this, but it's getting beyond a joke.

I would add this point to the existing thread but that's regarding hardware, mostly.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I have done a lot of the same, although i don't have any mod powers so can only point out errors, not lock threads or bin them. Gets annoying.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The registration process for new users never mentions our forum rules (wiki) or even a link to it. I don't blame anyone for posting without having read them first. Consider how many people get to a thread or sub-forum directly from a google search.

I've suggested this to the group before, but nothing has come from it yet, but I'd like to see two things happen:
  1. Link the forum rules (wiki) in the registration process and have a few literal examples that are seen without clicking on links, such as "no X,Y,Z support".

2. Have a one-time dismissible popup message of some kind for both new users and existing users, so that it shows up once per account, with the same link and same examples, because we have lots of old accounts that are only semi-active through the years and don't know about the new(ish) rules.
Unfortunately i don't think many people read the signup messages.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-02, 03:48)nickr Wrote: Unfortunately i don't think many people read the signup messages.

Not when it's a wall of text.
(2014-03-02, 04:17)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 03:48)nickr Wrote: Unfortunately i don't think many people read the signup messages.

And frankly when it looks similar to every other forum signup message. I admit I usually look for the 'confirm' link and hit it then go to the forum and post my message!
(2014-03-02, 04:20)nickr Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 04:17)Ned Scott Wrote:

And frankly when it looks similar to every other forum signup message. I admit I usually look for the 'confirm' link and hit it then go to the forum and post my message!

My main point is that we should avoid a wall of text for the signup message. Even then, we can do more to make sure the user knows the bulk of what we expect.

Instead of a checkbox to say "I've read this" we could ask the user to type in the one sentence example that says "I will not talk about X, Y, Z". It could double as anti-spambot detection, too (though most spambots are smart enough to copy/paste a sentence).

At the very least, even if 99% of the users don't read the rules before posting, we can at least say they were posted in a way that people could find them when signing up. Even if they're in the minority, some users really do try to read rules before signing up.

It won't catch everyone, hence my second suggestion, a popup that gives the link to the rules and gives the one sentence example, popping up right in the user's face.
Why not a word replacement for common add-ons that are known to promote piracy? MyBB supports this function.

Example:

User Wrote:
I have just installed Icefilms and can't get it to work, can you help?

Auto-moderated:

User Wrote:
I have just installed PIRACY IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS FORUM and can't get it to work, can you help?

Filter:

"Icefilms", "icefilms", "ice-films", "ice films".

This will do three things;

1) Make the user aware when they have posted that they're not going to get support.

2) Help search engines to not index the content related to piracy on this forum = less chance of a user visiting for that sole purpose.

3) Make the moderation of the forum easier and, as a future option, help to facilitate implementation of auto-move to rubbish bin of such threads.

To me, the above seems the most pragmatic way of dealing with an ever-increasing problem.

I don't think we should turn this forum into some kind of police state where people are scared to speak. Policing people creates a bad vibe and shouldn't be necessary. If there's a problem then we can just tell people plain and simple. No need to take the high and mighty path.
Who said anything about a police state? It's a very simple solution for an increasing issue.

(2014-03-02, 05:21)Piers Wrote: Who said anything about a police state? It's a very simple solution for an increasing issue.

Is it really an "issue" ? I think that giving people a kind warning is fine, I haven't noticed a vast amount of discussions regarding piracy on these forums - perhaps I am wrong though.
Like ISP's, XBMC is only a conduit to media and shouldn't be considered gatekeepers. As long as the policy is in place and there is enough messages mindful of copyright, (I support Ned's post #7 in this thread) should the occasional new user be reminded to use Google, or to seek support elsewhere is prudent, but turning your back to an innocent request wouldn't seem to be in good spirit of any forum. To censor certain webs sites or add-ons worse than swear words posted from a first time user; (even if they deserve it) just doesn't make sense for an open public media center forum. Links can get you in trouble, but talk will not break your bones.
Perhaps what is needed is a moderator button that gives a standard answer and consigns the thread to the junk bin, and locks it.

EDIT: and an ability for us mere mortals to report for references to offending posts. Atthe moment we are supposed to limit ourselves to "spam, advertising messages, or abuse." - that is only two options as spam=advertising messages.
Actually as a whole, the community just needs to not reply and leave these posts and report post so moderators can bin them or reply or do whatever they feel is appropriate.
Actually sometimes you need to respond just to tease out wtf the poster is really talking about, viz http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1640137 . No way i was even tempted to report that thread after post 1, even if i did suspect what he was on about.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0