Jumping Controls
Hi,
I have my Pi setup to use my Sony blue player remote, mapped to xbmc via flirc dongle.
Everything is working but I sometimes the remote seems to have a mind of its own.
For example, xbmc video menu if i move down to select the file menu the pi will start to flick
between the power menu and the file menu by itself, at high speed, which means making a selection
is impossible, also sometimes it will scroll through the video lists in a loop.
Has any one else noticed this?

Thanx

Jules
Happened to me using the android remote, not sure what exactly happened, was driving me nuts. Rebooted a few times, same issue.
Eventually stopped,not sure why. I rebooted and used the mouse only, and that was working fine. The mouse was plugged in the whole time, but it had not moved at all. I had also tried unplugging it in case it was the source of the issue, but the issue persisted without the mouse. It seems to start OK, Profiles screen, select one, raspbmc updates the library content, move the cursor to one option, another, then it goes nuts.

After I used the mouse a bit it stopped.

It happened a couple of other times, usually logging off or rebooting works. Was just yesterday that multiple reboot did not fix.

It basically looks like a key press just kept getting fed to raspbmc in a loop.

If it's happening with a different remote then it may be some code issue around management of remote controls/key presses.
Sounds like the infamous USB packet loss issue that plagues the Pi unfortunately.

If there is heavy SD card or Ethernet activity USB packets are sometimes dropped, this is most noticeable as occasional lost keystrokes when typing on a USB keyboard or a key that you pressed suddenly repeating itself over and over. (This was the key up event getting lost, so the OS thinks the key is being held down until it receives the next keypress)

Try copying a large file from a PC to an SMB share on the Pi and simultaneously typing on a keyboard pluged into the Pi (for example logged into a text console session) and you will almost certainly see the occasional (maybe one or two every 10 seconds) character lost, and less frequently a key repeating like it is stuck down.

The same typing with no disk/network activity will not drop characters or repeat.

Although there is ongoing work with the USB drivers to try to find a good work around it's a fundamental hardware design flaw of the Pi which may never be 100% resolved in software.

Because the Flirc device emulates a USB keyboard it suffers from the same issue as a USB keyboard on the Pi - eg lost and sometimes sticking key presses. This will be the cause of your selection bar scrolling through a list over and over etc.

The best way to avoid this problem is don't use a USB input device to control XBMC on the Pi - use either HDMI-CEC (what I use) or an IR receiver connected to the GPIO pins. Neither suffers from the issue you're seeing as neither go through the buggy USB controller.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Could both of you try running the following command please ?

dmesg | grep FIQ

you should get something that looks similar to the following:

[ 1.187120] dwc_otg: FIQ enabled
[ 1.187146] dwc_otg: FIQ split fix disabled

If you see FIQ enabled AND FIQ split fix enabled then I may have something for you to try...

Can you also both let me know what distribution (Raspbmc/OpenElec etc) and version you're running. The output of the following commands would also be helpful:

uname -a

vcgencmd version

Thanks.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Hi DBMandrake,
Thanx for your response,
I have been using my Sony TV remote via the cec connection and it definitely is more responsive than the sony blue ray remote via flirc, and doen't suffer the skipping problems.
I'll run the commands supplied and post the outputs.
I'm currently running the latest raspbmc distribution.

Thanx

Jules
(2014-03-04, 11:30)DBMandrake Wrote: Could both of you try running the following command please ?

dmesg | grep FIQ

you should get something that looks similar to the following:

[ 1.187120] dwc_otg: FIQ enabled
[ 1.187146] dwc_otg: FIQ split fix disabled

If you see FIQ enabled AND FIQ split fix enabled then I may have something for you to try...

Can you also both let me know what distribution (Raspbmc/OpenElec etc) and version you're running. The output of the following commands would also be helpful:

uname -a

vcgencmd version

Thanks.

Hi DBMandrake,
I'm experiencing these same symptoms when I plug in a USB TV tuner in my Raspberry Pi kodi box.  Here is my grep FIQ from dmesg - does this qualify?  What did you have in mind trying?

kodi:~ # dmesg |grep FIQ
[    0.920159] WARN::dwc_otg_hcd_init:1045: FIQ DMA bounce buffers: virt = af844000 dma = 0xef844000 len=9024
[    0.920189] FIQ FSM acceleration enabled for :
[    0.920264] WARN::hcd_init_fiq:457: FIQ on core 1
[    0.920276] WARN::hcd_init_fiq:458: FIQ ASM at 80724154 length 36
[    0.922408] dwc_otg: FIQ enabled
[    0.922427] dwc_otg: FIQ split-transaction FSM enabled

Thanks
Stephen
You should start a new post. This thread is 5 years old and specifically while using Raspbmc operating system which has now been defunct for most of that time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jumping Controls0