IR reciever, and options on how to use it!
Hello.
I was in here the other day and could swear I found a good IR page, but now its lost to me.

Im running an windows 7-64 laptop with frodo, and wanted to get my harmony one remote to be able to control it. I was unsure doh if it was normal to be able to start the computer with remote from off, hibernate or sleep? And such what ok priced(preferably ebay) IR reciever is ok?

Last but not least. Is it enogh to just put XBMC in the startup folder if I want a dedicated XBMC machine or is there a smarter way? Cannot use openelec/ubuntu due to driver issues.
If your only using windows and a harmony remote you should get a mce receiver. The hp ones are great.
Ok.
Il look into those, since they only seem to cost 10$ with shipping Smile
But how about the ability to startyp/hibernate/sleep. What does people use?
I suggest FLIRC or RC6 based IR receivers like from HP. You can wake the laptop from sleep, but not from a full shutdown state.

For a dedicated media center you can set XBMC as shell which bypasses explorer and desktop. See XBMCLauncher in my signature.
(2014-03-03, 14:20)baijuxavior Wrote: I suggest FLIRC or RC6 based IR receivers like from HP. You can wake the laptop from sleep, but not from a full shutdown state.

For a dedicated media center you can set XBMC as shell which bypasses explorer and desktop. See XBMCLauncher in my signature.

Great tip! Wil windows 7 still be avalible in an easy way? Iv currently just set xbmx to startup automaticly with windows, and can just then shut if of as a program. Is it more hassle with xbmclaucher? Also wil the machine run better with the laucher because it has to run less of windows in the background?
You can set the launcher to start explorer when you close xbmc. The machine will load faster as explorer and other startup applications are not loaded .
So to be sure, are we talking about these ir recievers?:
HP reciever ebay:
BTW.
I have a reciever laying around here somewhere from an old tv card. But its an 3.5 jack in the end. Could I use this somehow?
http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages...P-RM-3.jpg
Or can i somehow remove my IR reciever from my HP desktop pc and use it on my laptop?
Yeah that hp one should work fine. I have one like that. Might be a different model. There great because you can map both keyboard and mouse keys to a harmony remote in windows. I have the number keys set to mouse movements for when I absolutely need to click on something.

For the 3.5 jack, probably not.

For the IR receiver in your HP desktop, If it hooks up to a usb header, probably yes. You would need some kind of adapter, but at the prices it might be just as cheap to buy another ir receiver.
I have the Genuine Dell OVU400307/00 RC6 here from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AI4...UTF8&psc=1

I've had no problems using it with xbmc + windows 7 + harmony one. Just programed the harmony one as a mce remote and all was good.
(2014-03-04, 01:01)calev Wrote: Yeah that hp one should work fine. I have one like that. Might be a different model. There great because you can map both keyboard and mouse keys to a harmony remote in windows. I have the number keys set to mouse movements for when I absolutely need to click on something.

Yea I see that. There are quite a few different models out there. But all should be good with windows, its more if they fit Linux. The ones Iv found about until now is:

HP OVU400103/00 (p/n 5188-1667) Recomended xbmc forum 2011
HP OVU422000/06 (p/n 5070-2584)
HP 5187-4597
HP 5187-4593

Seems the last one is everywhere on ebay. I choose a seller named "oriental-hony" due to that hes sold a whopping 259 of em and that he atleast says its genuine HP. Around 11$-12$ with the sending cost included.
Hp Reciever

For those interested in the HP MCE remote with the reciever could check out this bundle:
Bundle

Seems reciever is something a lot of people are talking about. Would be great for someone to make a good topic about it(maby edit the remotes one?) and put it as a sticky.
(2014-03-04, 05:54)olsonbri Wrote: I have the Genuine Dell OVU400307/00 RC6 here from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AI4...UTF8&psc=1

I've had no problems using it with xbmc + windows 7 + harmony one. Just programed the harmony one as a mce remote and all was good.
For me that is a genuine Microsoft IR receiver, but Dell could put a Dell stamp on that, that's what the did with a lot of hardware that wasn't originally theres.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
sorry for activating this old thread but can anyone take a picture of the header that conects the usb cable in the ovu400103? i have one but im not sure if the pins are +5v +d -d gnd gnd or if it is the other way around
here is a pic of what I'm talking about https ://www.dropbox.com/s/9sbvjrbgrn0sxws/2015-11-30%2021.33.40.jpg?dl=0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR reciever, and options on how to use it!0