"play using" - bypassing XMBC?
Hi

I am very delighted about the new "play using" feature in Gotham that allows playing to any connected UPnP device on the network, such as my SmartTV.

I have one general question:
Videos are on the SAN
XBMC runs on a WLAN Laptop in the living Room
SmartTV and all other devices connected on the same network.

When the TV itself can render the native video format stored on the NAS (e.g. MPEG) can XBMC "initiate streaming" directly between the SAN and the TV - bypassing XBMC for the stream itself - and only use XMBC when transcoding is needed?
(If I am not mistaken, this is a function that is supported on Plex - i.e. what I want to say it should be technically possible using UPnP/DLNA mechanisms)

thanks for comments
XBMC does not currently transcode at all.
Thanks Ned

I am new to XBMC and was completely mistaken by the fact that XBMC direct play back almost any format - which is a different thing...

I.e. when using UPnP - only the formats supported on the target player are possible to stream (somehow I had only tested with valid formats before starting the thread).

Back to the question - is the streaming direct in this case between SAN and TV? I see that I have no playback control on XBMC in this mode, so I am assuming it is not "proxying" the stream?.

thanks again
There are controls, but they don't really pop up in the default skin automatically. They can be brought up in the left hand sidebar menu or you can bring up the controls Window by pressing "m" on a keyboard.

Streaming is direct, as far as I understand. No transcoding or remuxing. I'm not sure on the exact details on UPnP, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"play using" - bypassing XMBC?0