Oh boy, this isn't good - dvdfab discussion
http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orders...ds-140310/

This is somewhat related to xbmc, since a lot of users rip their discs with dvdfab.
It's somewhat sad that these idiots can't see that the very people they're hurting by doing this sort of thing are those that are buying their product.

After all, the "pirates" will always have ways to obtain Bluray's without their copy protection, so all they're doing is encouraging those that buy bluray's to download them instead.

Personally, for every single blu-ray I own, I've downloaded the rip, as it's more convenient (faster, and pretty almost guaranteed quality) than attempting to rip it myself.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'll be honest, I'm mostly just surprised dvdfab has lasted this long. One thing I didn't like was the concluding paragraph.

Quote:In any case, AACS and the movie industry will be encouraged by this broad injunction, and it wouldn’t be a big surprise if we see this strategy being repeated against other piracy-related targets in the near future.

DVDFab is, in no way, related to piracy. Pirates use way better software to create their rips. DVDFab is for mom and pop users who wanted to avoid piracy while still paying for their content. The only result of this ruling is that those mom and pop users will now go the download route that so many people before decided to run with. Frankly, while this may be a win for AACS, I consider it a loss for content creators.

Point being, I'd prefer that the final sentence ended with, "if we see this strategy being repeated against ACTUAL pirate-related targets in the near future."
Sad developments alright, and just after I read "The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that posting links is not the same as posting the actual content, but more similar to a footnote, thought we might have reached a tipping point. Guess the U.S. has the ring in their nose, it was a nice program, I guess I have to burn it.

Laughable this week was the copyright claim over Michelangelo's David, dead for hundreds of years, Italy wants their pound of flesh for the usage of that image.
Well, at least they're still in business since they're operating outside of the US. Only their domain names and other US-controlled stuff is immediately affected. I've always been scared of their monkey logo, but I hope this doesn't put them out of business.

It's interesting because I didn't think anyone was really putting any effort into "cracking down" on DVD ripping anymore. Even if they ignore the fact that this only effects legitimate DVD customers (and only slightly), is it even worth the effort at this point? The cat is long since been let out of the bag when it comes to breaking DVD encryption.
AnyDVD likely to be next target?
What does this mean for Make Mkv?
Won't do much good, all they need do is register with a non-US domain name provider, for example dvdfab.jp is still up, the greatest hinderance will be the withdrawl of direct payment processing by visa, mastercard & paypal but there's plenty of ways around that too.
(2014-03-11, 14:59)steelman1991 Wrote: AnyDVD likely to be next target?

Slysoft are registered in Paris so should be ok.

(2014-03-11, 15:23)mrhyde1969 Wrote: What does this mean for Make Mkv?
Makemkv does appear to be registered via the US so maybe vulnerable to the same thing, hopefully they'll change who the domain is registered with.
Yeah my next question is when will slysoft be targeted?
I got to have my anydvd. Great program. It is a shame when you pay for something, like a bluray,
and can't do what you want with it.
The daft thing is that these programs are aimed at people who already own the disc's, so all it'll do is drive more people to download pirate versions. Unfortunately the movie industry seems to have learnt nothing at all from the experiences of the music industry and are making all the same mistakes.
And home taping is killing music, apparently ;-)
The results of court issues like this are:

1) Pushing businesses away from the US, scared they might have a problem.

2) Making technophobes go and actually download content and not even bother with paying for it and ripping in the first place.

3) Hurting content creators due to possible loss of sales

4) Helping grow business in other nations which don't have archaic policies regarding digital media.

Speaking of archaic, there are far too many judges who have absolutely no clue how to even operate a BluRay player so can't possibly understand the complex parts of this case. A family friend is a judge (still wears the wig) and asked me if pausing a film would hurt the disc... my point proven.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
sigh, industry will never learn. It's far more easy to pirate a movie than to actually watch a bought BluRay with OpenSource software (and sometimes even commercial software which requires continous updates). Industry would be wise to change their distribution model if they want to fight against piracy.
What really bothers me about this is that in the US we're told that you're innocent until proven guilty. This is a blatant lie. If it were true then these actions would have to go to trial. If found guilty then the court could hear arguments as to penalties.

It is out of control. The persecution of Megaupload is the poster child for this. The US government coerces NZ law enforcement to illegally spy on and invade the owner's home. They then take every asset they can get so that Megaupload doesn't have funds for their defense. They shut them completely down so they have no way to generate funds to defend themselves. They then argue in court to stop Megaupload from using any defense attorneys that have any experience in this type of case. All of this when they have no jurisdiction.

Yet virtually no one in the US knows about these cases or what they mean. Based on what has been going on they can now decide you're a bad person, take everything you own (house, bank accounts, 401k, everything), have you fired and then charge you with whatever crime they desire. At least here you can get a public defender who will have no time or expertise to defend you. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Oh boy, this isn't good - dvdfab discussion0