• 2(current)
Android New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?
I would get an android for netflix. But that's me. I like my arm box for XBMC. It runs everything I've thrown at it so far. Prolly wait and see if I can get in a year one of those quad core Amlogic's for $70 or less.
Also, vid of the Transmort one with the s802:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gugDNfFSf...e=youtu.be
Not sure about you guys but I would never buy another box that doesn't allow for HD Passthru. Listening to a movie with great surround sound amplifies the XBMC/Home Theater experience dramatically. I would think that anyone who forked out cash for a decent sound system should feel the same way. I am going to wait until they incorporate the AmLogic chips that support Dolby and DTS before buying any of these new devices. From what I understand these new AmLogic chips can not even be modified to enable passthru so even custom ROM's will not fix the issue.
You understand wrong. AMLogic SoCs have always been able to do Dolby and DTS passthough and there is nothing different with the M8 series from MX/M3/M1 with this regard.
Davilla, do you know if your code works with the new s802 chips (m8) for hardware acceleration with the internal player?

And yeah I have passthrough working with my mx2 clone.
(2014-03-27, 17:06)dardack Wrote: Davilla, do you know if your code works with the new s802 chips (m8) for hardware acceleration with the internal player?

And yeah I have passthrough working with my mx2 clone.

I tested Gotham Beta 2 on KitKat sources (4.4.2) I have (on MX, Amlogic supports Android 4.4 on both M8 and MX), no luck. LibPlayer header files changes (again....). Audio goes, no video.

Will make patch for sources when I make whole system stable and start to toy with xbmc Smile
The MK908II is the Android stick I've been reading about. It's a slightly slower version of what you're using (1.6 Ghz vs 2.0 Ghz) but it's 60-70 USD. No tsure if 400 mhz clockspeed is worth 60-70 USD.

Many people got XBMC to work with it as well. I might pick one up and test it with Gotham after the new Gotham updates.
For some reason, the stock firmware for the s802 has the device permissions messed up as well as some /sys/class ones.

check permissions on /dev/am*

if you look at your xbmc.log. Our AMCodec tried but fails to open. That's /dev/amvideo with wrong permissions.

LibAmlplayer headers are fine. It's really the headers for amcodec but they have not altered from jellybean... yet Smile
(2014-03-27, 04:15)davilla Wrote: You understand wrong. AMLogic SoCs have always been able to do Dolby and DTS passthough and there is nothing different with the M8 series from MX/M3/M1 with this regard.

There are several sources ( vendors and manufacturers ) discussing the issue at FreakTab. From what I understand AmLogic will be releasing 2-3 different versions of the S802. The current version used in the new Quad Core units being pre sold by Eny Tech and Tomato Tech do not support Dolby and DTS passthru. AmLogic has confirmed that they will have specific chipsets ( s802-h or s802-d ) that will support Dolby and DTS.
I guess my contacts at AMLogic are lying then Smile
The Tronsmart Vega S89 video looks like the device is going to be amazing. However, their site promotes it as "More faster, enjoy your internet life"

I have trouble with official ads and improper use of grammar. It makes me feel like I'll plug it in, and my outlet will start on fire.

I had a dvd copy of Run Ronnie Run, and the description explained how David Gross went to Holywod. I thought they were just being weird by not putting David Cross in the plot summary and destroying the spelling of every other word. When the special features were videos of landscapes and houses under the title "deleted scenes," I knew it was a bootleg. I want to jump at this box, because my Ouya is always throwing tantrums, and my Boxee bit the dust, but it feels a little bootleggy to me.

Confirm!

Also, why is the ELITE 8G and the regular one is 16G? Seems kinda backward marketing.
From geekbuying:

We have learned a lot from different factory. seems there are three models for this Amlogic s802 chip. they call it:

S802-No Dolby/DTS, means you can’t hear anything if you play the Dolby/DTS videos with hardware decoding, however, you can use the MX player software decoding to play the video without problem, and i have heared from tronsmart, they have make the Dolby/DTS video play smooth in XBMC.i will get the lastest firmware today,and test, report back)

S802D(also called S802-B)-support Dolby, don’t support DTS

S802DD(also called S802-H)–support dolby and DTS

of course, the price of each chip is different, the S802-H should be the most expensive
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
This is just me guessing, but could it be that the difference in S802 chips is between native decoding of Dolby/DTS HD content "on-chip", while pass-thru works in any case and on any version?
[quote='davilla' pid='1665582' dateline='1395969756']
I guess my contacts at AMLogic are lying then Smile

Looks like Davilla was correct Smile

HI Guys:

We get the first bulk of Tronsmart vega s89 in stock,and finish this passthrough review. Here is my test device:

1 Tronsmart vega s89 quad core tv box;

2 Yamaha RX-375 5.1 Receiver

3 Yamaha NS-P40 Speaker

I test different 1080p mkv, ts format local video file, and use built-in XBMC to play them!

First test the HDMI Passthrough, here is how i connect the tronsmart with receiver and TV.

I use one male to male HDMI Cable to connect tronsmart vega s89 and the yamaha receiver( use the hdmi in port in receiver) and then use another male to male hdmi cable connect the receiver with TV ( use receiver’s hdmi out port).

and on the tronsmart vega s89 setting, i change the audio output to hdmi passthrough, and enable passthrough on xbmc.

Here is the test result:

1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK

2 DTS 5.1 HDMI passthrough——-OK

3 DTS-HD HRA 5.1HDMI passthrough—–OK

4 DTS-HD MA 5.1 HDMI passthrough—OK

5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—can’t work, reciver just show 2.1, not 5.1;

Second, let’s test the optical passthrough,here is how i connect:

use male to male hdmi cable to connect tronsmart vega s89 and the TV. and then use the optical cable to connect vega s89 with receiver.

and on the tronsmart vega s89 setting, i change the audio output to optical passthrough, and enable passthrough on xbmc.

here is the test result:

1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK, but with noise.

2 DTS 5.1 HDMI passthrough——–OK, but with noise.

3 DTS-HD HRA 5.1HDMI passthrough——OK, but with noise.

4 DTS-HD MA 5.1 HDMI passthrough—-OK, but with noise.

5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—same as hdmi passthrough problem, can’t passthrough 5.1.

So, seems the HDMI passthrough is working ok, but there is something problem with optical passthrough. I have reported this problem to factory, and check if they can fix it.

any questions, feel free to leave message here!

Eric
Now we need a video playback review for freezing or artifacts or resets. I might be in for trying this one I'd its stable. I'm always concerned about buying overseas, especially if I may need hardware support. Geekbuying reviews don't seem to be the best either.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?1