• 4(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
I like where you guys are going with this. It's a big improvement!
(2014-03-15, 16:44)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm not entirely sure why the acceleration settings were split out, personally I don't like the term Acceleration even though it's technically correct. How about "Video Decode"?

Acceleration also include 'Render Method' which effects more than just video decode.
"Render & Decode" although that's back to a longer string.
(2014-03-16, 08:02)davilla Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 16:44)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm not entirely sure why the acceleration settings were split out, personally I don't like the term Acceleration even though it's technically correct. How about "Video Decode"?

Acceleration also include 'Render Method' which effects more than just video decode.

(2014-03-16, 09:49)jjd-uk Wrote: "Render & Decode" although that's back to a longer string.

Why not move those options back under Video? Maybe, as was mentioned, it applies more for Linux systems - but on Windows it makes little sense.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
So, where does this (if anywhere) go from here? I'm not sure what the process is for user suggestions to the core of XBMC, despite support from a few Team XBMC members.

Submit a PR with the changes, if you understand any of it?
(2014-03-16, 13:14)uNiversal Wrote: Submit a PR with the changes, if you understand any of it?

If you could explain what a PR is, then I might understand what you're talking about.

A link would be helpful.

XBMC uses git via github for development and code contributions.

a PR (pull request) is when someone forks a project via git, makes some change and submits those changes back to xbmc main development tree.

zag wrote a tut on how to use github/git on the how-to- tips and tricks

However I think much better/easier and more comprehensive github guide is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...p=31304826 which for most stuff you dont need command line or learn any 3rd party programs.
We'll definitely use what was discussed here for v14 discussions. I'm not so good at github stuff myself, but either way, we'll be sure to not forget this. It's a big improvement.
If it hasn't already been mentioned, this is the file that determines where all this stuff goes: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ttings.xml

Depending on the OS one uses, it's somewhere along with XBMC's other default settings/support files and can actually be used to test this out without having to compile (in OS X it is in the XBMC.app itself, for example). At least for some of the changes here.
Note that you can get this running yourself as Ned mentions. This should involve only changes to settings.xml and strings.po (add new ones), and possibly the skin (Settings.xml)

Then you can distribute those and folk can try them out and see how they work on different systems, what might be missing and so on.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm not sure if there's time for all of this to be used for v14 since we're already in feature freeze (though technically not a feature addition), but there's definitely some stuff here that should be considered.
If I can find out the time I'll put together a Proof of Concept unless someone volunteers whose got time to spare
Bump for Kodi 15, or 16.

Developers' opinions?

I nudged @jjd-uk on our internal forums, maybe he is still interested Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0