• 5(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
wow, I missed this completely - nice work
I did take a look sometime back and it was quite daunting for someone who doesn't code, if no one else steps up I'll see what I can do even if just a barebones for someone else to take on.
well you could already have a general look at it from a non-dev side as that what most if not all users are Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
So do I need to anything further, or does a developer have time to take a look at this?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
IMO "Pictures" and "Weather" don't fit under "Services" because everything else there are services that Kodi provides for the outside world whereas "Pictures" and "Weather" are purely Kodi internal features.

I would also re-order the categories in the "System" section as Debugging is not very important for most users and "Region", "Video Output" and "Audio Output" are settings that almost anyone will go into at one point.

PS: I like the "Media Management" as that would be perfect for my media import work.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-03-02, 10:38)Montellese Wrote: IMO "Pictures" and "Weather" don't fit under "Services" because everything else there are services that Kodi provides for the outside world whereas "Pictures" and "Weather" are purely Kodi internal features.

I would also re-order the categories in the "System" section as Debugging is not very important for most users and "Region", "Video Output" and "Audio Output" are settings that almost anyone will go into at one point.

PS: I like the "Media Management" as that would be perfect for my media import work.

After taking another look, I've realised that structure is based on Frodo - I'll create a slightly updated version with Helix changes and your suggestions

it's better to look at 15.x as more settings will be added as well. Keeping it up-to-date would make it easier
(2015-03-02, 11:35)Martijn Wrote: it's better to look at 15.x as more settings will be added as well. Keeping it up-to-date would make it easier

My plan is to install the latest nightly build today, I'll take a look and re-do the first post with a similar structure to the one I made proposing the forum structure change. If accepted, is it too late to get it into Kodi 15?

Would like to get hands on the updated version Smile
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2015-03-02, 14:05)Piers Wrote:
(2015-03-02, 11:35)Martijn Wrote: it's better to look at 15.x as more settings will be added as well. Keeping it up-to-date would make it easier

My plan is to install the latest nightly build today, I'll take a look and re-do the first post with a similar structure to the one I made proposing the forum structure change. If accepted, is it too late to get it into Kodi 15?
let's not rush things.
let's work out a nice structure and convert that to a settings.xml (and every os specific one) and give that a try how that works
I've re-written the first post (previous content now quoted for reference) to include new changes and an easier to read layout.

(2014-03-13, 16:13)Piers Wrote: 3. Alphabetical ordering makes sense, but this will obviously vary per language. The majority of Latin-based languages, or Germanic, should be fine and fit in. There are some options that take priority that will not be alphabetized.
IMO we should either use alphabetical ordering for all categories or not at all (obviously if the natural order is the alphabetical order that's ok). Right now it looks like the only sections with an enforced alphabetical order are the "System" and "Media Management" section but personally I would
1. move video categories above music categories because far more people use the video library (at least nobody I know uses the music library).
2. reshuffle "System" categories to

a. Regional
b. Input Devices
c. Power Saving
c. Video Output
d. Audio Output
e. Internet Access
f. Master Lock
g. Debugging

(2014-03-13, 16:13)Piers Wrote: g. Pictures [moved from Pictures/General]
Please try to explain to me how the picture slideshow has anything to do with internet protocols and services. The available options are staytime, effects and shuffle. This has less than nothing to do with services.
Why can't this be in the "Media Management" section next to "Picture Lists"?

(2014-03-13, 16:13)Piers Wrote: h. Weather [removes Weather section, there's no need for it to be dedicated]
I don't really know where to put this either but there's no way this fits into services. Maybe we need a new section where we can put this (and maybe the pictures category as well and some future stuff) but personally I'm gonna -1 any approach to put either "Weather" or "Pictures" into services because everything else in there is a service to access Kodi from the outside and those two have nothing to do with that. I would never expect to find "Weather" or "Pictures" under "Services". Ideally "Pictures" would be a picture library and hopefully it will be in the future.

The other changes make sense to me. Thanks a lot.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I had a few minutes spare time, so I reshuffled the settings.xml and updated the skin to show the reshuffled settings Smile

Current changes can be found here:
https://github.com/mad-max/xbmc/tree/settings_cleanup

This is early stage!

ToDo:
Fix strings and add localization for new strings in system/settings/settings.xml
Fix strings for Confluence/720p/settings.xml
Create new WindowIDs as several are not used anymore and some new like "media_management" need to be added
link confluence to the new window ids (currently used "videos" and "music" for playback and media management)
@mad-max I noticed that in one case in settings.xml you are using a hardcoded labels. It would be better if you instead changed the label text in strings.po and kept the ID. That would make it possible to PR it at one point.

Nice work though Nod
@Kib Yes, this is a bit hacky, but ok for testing...
As mentioned in the ToDo above, this needs to be done...
If changes are all in, I'll squash the appropriate commits anyway...so it should be fine

EDIT: Hardcoded strings have been fixed, but in general the strings need some more love...especially as many strings have a description for the place where the string is used.
Most of them are outdated with the new settings order

WindowIDs.h and ButtonTranslator.cpp also need the approriate update
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0