• 11(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
New version that is more of a straight reshuffle than what I suggested in Post #139

I still think what I've called "Media Views" would benefit from a multi-layered menu approach.

Quote:Device (settings specific to your hardware, all moved from System)
-> Video output
-> Video Acceleration (could be renamed to "Video Processing", particularly if de-interlacing/ scaling method settings were added here)
-> Audio output
-> Input Devices

Media Playback
-> Videos
-> TV
-> Subtitles
-> DVD/BluRay
-> Music
-> Audio CDs
-> Karaoke
-> Accessibility (different location to where mad-max put them, belong here I think as they are playback preferences)

Media Views (I suggest Views as these govern how media is viewed)
Video
-> Files
-> Library
Music
-> Files
-> Library
Pictures
-> Files
-> Slideshow
Weather (put here as governs how weather is viewed)
-> General

Live TV
-> General
-> Menu/OSD
-> EPG
-> Recording
-> Power Saving
-> Parental control
-> Client specific

Add-ons
-> Check for Updates (date)
-> Install New Add-on
-> View Enabled Add-ons
-> View Disabled Add-ons
-> Install Add-on from Zip
-> Search for Add-ons

Network
-> General
-> Internet access (moved from System)
-> UPnP
-> Websever
-> Remote Control
-> Zeroconf
-> Airplay

System (Settings that aren't hardware specific)
-> Skin (no need for separate "Appearance" section in my view)
-> Screensaver (as above)
-> Region (as above, also renamed from "International")
-> Power saving
-> Master lock
-> Debugging
Actually a new idea has just come to me of how to structure "Media Views" or whatever you want to call it without using multiple layers

Media Views (a single layer of items)
Video *(see below)
Music **(see below)
Pictures - (all items in present "Pictures -> Files" and "Pictures -> Slideshow" combined)
Weather
Manage *** (see below - haven't given a lot of thought to the name)

* Video - this combines the present "Videos -> Library" and "Videos -> Files" with the following moved to the Manage*** category:

Update library on startup
Hide progress of library updates
Clean library
Export video library
Import Video library

** Music - this combines the present "Music -> Library" and "Music -> Files" with the following moved to the Manage*** category:

Clean library
Export music library
Import music library

*** Manage - (new category to take items moved from present "Videos -> Library" and "Music -> Library" categories)

Update video library on startup
Hide progress of video library updates
Clean video library
Export video library
Import Video library
Update music library on startup
Hide progress of music library updates
Clean music library
Export music library
Import music library
/note
"media views" as a name tells me absolutely nothing. I would expect skin settings for library from that name. I suggest to get a different name

I dislike manage as it just duplicates everything from the other sections
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well just calling it "Media" as some have suggested tells me even less, from that I'd have no clue about the difference between "Playback" and "Media" without delving into the settings. Will have more of a think on it.
(2015-03-15, 18:20)Martijn Wrote: /note
"media views" as a name tells me absolutely nothing. I would expect skin settings for library from that name. I suggest to get a different name

I dislike manage as it just duplicates everything from the other sections

Media Lists or Listings Huh
What's wrong with calling it 'Sources'
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Sources doesn't work for me, these are settings for how stuff is to be shown in the GUI so we should aim to reflect that, Sources are the origin of data not the display of it.
(2015-03-15, 21:40)jjd-uk Wrote: Sources doesn't work for me, these are settings for how stuff is to be shown in the GUI so we should aim to reflect that, Sources are the origin of data not the display of it.

Well, given the options available in the Settings menus, 'Media' would be a good fit. Since it's obvious that it will cover areas not listed.

Sorry still not convinced.

Anyway we can come back to it, more important as Martijn has said before and that's getting the structure right, so feedback on my latest proposal's?
(2015-03-15, 18:03)jjd-uk Wrote: Actually a new idea has just come to me of how to structure "Media Views" or whatever you want to call it without using multiple layers

Media Views (a single layer of items)
Video *(see below)
Music **(see below)
Pictures - (all items in present "Pictures -> Files" and "Pictures -> Slideshow" combined)
Weather
Manage *** (see below - haven't given a lot of thought to the name)

* Video - this combines the present "Videos -> Library" and "Videos -> Files" with the following moved to the Manage*** category:

Clean library
Export video library
Import Video library

** Music - this combines the present "Music -> Library" and "Music -> Files" with the following moved to the Manage*** category:

Clean library
Export music library
Import music library

*** Manage - (new category to take items moved from present "Videos -> Library" and "Music -> Library" categories)

Update video library on startup
Hide progress of video library updates
Clean video library
Export video library
Import Video library
Update music library on startup
Hide progress of music library updates
Clean music library
Export music library
Import music library

(2015-03-15, 22:06)jjd-uk Wrote: Sorry still not convinced.

Anyway we can come back to it, more important as Martijn has said before and that's getting the structure right, so feedback on my latest proposal's?

+1 from me on that idea. Makes good sense Smile

Going back to names for that section, just to throw some more in the pot.

"Metadata" is another possibility and will be familiar to anyone with any sort of media collection, however not 100% as it's not entirely friendly to someone new to the world of media software. Not sure it fits as name for section affecting display of file lists either.

The only other idea at the moment is "Organise" or "Organisation" as the settings can be seen as organising the display of your media.
Is this a situation where, like other settings controls, you can have a short name, with a longer description at the bottom of the screen.

Like a label "metadata" and a longer description at the bottom of the screen "Set up automatic recognition of your media and downloading of posters, fanart, plot and actors"

On the downside, a lot of work, and a lot of translation. But it has been done for the settings screens themselves.

I mean in the same way as this:

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-15, 17:34)jjd-uk Wrote: New version that is more of a straight reshuffle than what I suggested in Post #139

I still think what I've called "Media Views" would benefit from a multi-layered menu approach.

Quote:Device (settings specific to your hardware, all moved from System)
-> Video output
-> Video Acceleration (could be renamed to "Video Processing", particularly if de-interlacing/ scaling method settings were added here)
-> Audio output
-> Input Devices

Media Playback
-> Videos
-> TV
-> Subtitles
-> DVD/BluRay
-> Music
-> Audio CDs
-> Karaoke
-> Accessibility (different location to where mad-max put them, belong here I think as they are playback preferences)

Media Views (I suggest Views as these govern how media is viewed)
Video
-> Files
-> Library
Music
-> Files
-> Library
Pictures
-> Files
-> Slideshow
Weather (put here as governs how weather is viewed)
-> General

As pictures has no library, I suggest to move Slideshow from the Media view to Media playback. Slidshow is the playback feature of Kodi, like PAPplayer and dvdplayer are for music and video.

edit:
Aha, missed the better proposal by jjd-uk
I like the direction in which jjd-uk is going, not all of it though (I don't like the "Network" node name). Unfortunately I haven't found time to take a closer look on this last weekend, hope I'll find some time this week
(2015-03-16, 11:19)da-anda Wrote: I like the direction in which jjd-uk is going, not all of it though (I don't like the "Network" node name). Unfortunately I haven't found time to take a closer look on this last weekend, hope I'll find some time this week

I wondered when you'd be along Big Grin
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0