• 13(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
Then "Interface". They all change how the interface is presented and how the user visually sees things. Otherwise we're going to have a million people asking us where the skin settings went to.
I also thought about "User interface"
After much hacking & changing things around I've come to structure I think I'm personally happy with, however I recognise some parts of this involve really big changes to layout so I hear the rattling of paint cans already. I've started the work of translating the dirty hacks into proper series of changes I can push to github with the required core changes.

A preview

Note I'll probably do a slightly less radical version as well as I think I know what'll cause most discussion.
Looks like a nice improvement! I look forward to the pr discussion Smile
IMO a third layer would be helpful
Looks good to me too.
(2015-09-02, 18:41)da-anda Wrote: IMO a third layer would be helpful

A third layer? There already are four layers: sections, regions, groups, settings.

Btw @jjd-uk: we now have the possibility to assign a label/title to setting groups. That might help in some places where it gets a bit crowded.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-09-02, 21:44)Montellese Wrote:

A third layer? There already are four layers: sections, regions, groups, settings.

Btw @jjd-uk: we now have the possibility to assign a label/title to setting groups. That might help in some places where it gets a bit crowded.

Actually I meant to ping you, if you look at the video from about 2:15 you'll see I added a Media Sources category which has buttons which I hoped to activate the relevant window where you add the selected source, so for example pressing Videos button opens Videos - Files window which contains "Add videos..." however I can't get it work. I assumed there must be some way to open a new window as we have it in several places in settings, for example the button which opens skin settings. I thought it a good idea to begin the path to central source management even if for now it's nothing more than shortcuts to the different windows that contain "Add videos", "Add music" and "Add pictures", with maybe your media import work being added here in the future.

I knew about the possibility of adding settings group labels from following the ADSP work, but I've no idea how they are used, do you know of an example I can use as a template.
(2015-09-02, 22:12)jjd-uk Wrote: Actually I meant to ping you, if you look at the video from about 2:15 you'll see I added a Media Sources category which has buttons which I hoped to activate the relevant window where you add the selected source, so for example pressing Videos button opens Videos - Files window which contains "Add videos..." however I can't get it work. I assumed there must be some way to open a new window as we have it in several places in settings, for example the button which opens skin settings. I thought it a good idea to begin the path to central source management even if for now it's nothing more than shortcuts to the different windows that contain "Add videos", "Add music" and "Add pictures", with maybe your media import work being added here in the future.
This requires changes in the code which catch the user clicking on the button and the open the proper window.

(2015-09-02, 22:12)jjd-uk Wrote: I knew about the possibility of adding settings group labels from following the ADSP work, but I've no idea how they are used, do you know of an example I can use as a template.
AFAIK you just need to add a label="1234" attribute to a <group> tag in settings.xml
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Ah ok, so onclick with a ActivateWindow won't work within settings.xml that explains it, no matter it was just an experiment when I got bored doing some of the donkey work of shuffling stuff around.

Will experiment with adding labels instead Smile
(2015-09-02, 22:17)Montellese Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 22:12)jjd-uk Wrote: I knew about the possibility of adding settings group labels from following the ADSP work, but I've no idea how they are used, do you know of an example I can use as a template.
AFAIK you just need to add a label="1234" attribute to a <group> tag in settings.xml

Just confirmed it really is that simple, thanks as that gives me a few new ideas.
My urge to bikeshed on some of the labels is strong, but the layout is great, and I will suppress my inner painter ;)
Nothing is set in stone as far as I'm concerned, I hope to have something pushed to github so I can see if I can get Jenkins to build the changes before Devcon so people can see them in person and we can discuss some of this stuff there.
Great work!
An excellent start to a much needed refactor.
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

(2015-09-02, 21:44)Montellese Wrote:

Third menu level. Group headlines will help as well though, but some settings pages will be way to crowded
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0